If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Fighting a meaningless war is well...meaningless. Besides, you say that now, but the moment you see that the aliens overpwer you, yoou will shit your pants and stay frozen in fear as they adopt you, clean you up and then put you with the rest of the others. 

Conviction doesn't make you grow balls all of the sudden, no matter what fiction tells you.
  • "Fighting a meaningless war is well...meaningless. Besides, you say that now, but the moment you see that the aliens overpwer you, yoou will shit your pants and stay frozen in fear as they adopt you, clean you up and then put you with the rest of the others. "

Did you not miss the suicide part?

We will commit mass suicide if all else fails.
  • Honor.

There is no Honor in Death without Pain.

Okay, I was going to say something else here, but I won't.  Instead, I'll ask something that's been bugging me forever.

What's Up with your Completely random and Nonstandard Capitalization of Words?
  • That's assuming they let you (and also if you're frozen in fear you can't...well...move.)
  • "What's Up with your Completely random and Nonstandard Capitalization of Words?"

I've been learning German way too much.

Also, to emphasize those words, not just as nouns, but as philosophical concepts themselves.
  • >Implying you'll have enough time to destroy your bodies when the aliens arrive.

But yeah

@Frodo: that still doesn't soothe my curiosity on the subject, having a truly alien perspective is kind of hard to do, that's still "Written" by a human
  • "That's assuming they let you (and also if you're frozen in fear you can't...well...move.)"

The suicide would be done before they actually got to us.
  • Noooo, not everyone will do that. Besides, what's the chance any aliens we encounter will be hostile anyway?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I suppose the question comes down to this: Would I have the freedom to leave, if I wanted to?
  • "Noooo, not everyone will do that. Besides, what's the chance any aliens we encounter will be hostile anyway?"

I don't care if they're benevolent. They will still have come to enslave us.

The suicide will go as planned.
  • Okay so...

You see a bunch of UFOs in the sky...

OH SNAP IT'S SUICIDE TIME EVEN THOUGH WE DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT WHAT'S COMING

That is one of the least honorable reasons for death i've seen.
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:12:03
    Cue-bey
    I find it funny that Chagen seems to be channeling the mindset of the humans from the Xeelee sequence.

^Hasn't that already happened? Heaven's gate?
  • "OH SNAP IT'S SUICIDE TIME EVEN THOUGH WE DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT WHAT'S COMING

That is one of the least honorable reasons for death i've seen."

We'd wait until it was obvious the aliens wish to enslave us.
  • Wouldn't they have got close enough by then?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Assuming you wouldn't chicken out.
  • What's Up with your Completely random and Nonstandard Capitalization of Words?

I wanted to ask that one, too.

Anyhow, animals have died bravely for their lives and stuff. How many specific ones do you remember?
  • "Assuming you wouldn't chicken out."

When the alternative is metaphorical death at the hands of oppressors, I will have all the conviction I need. My sword will be out, and my blood shall stain the floor.
  • Ok, That's enough People, Let's move back onto the Original Topic of Aliens wanting to have human pets,

OK

OK?!?!
  • I would wonder why they keep us as pets. Humans mostly seem to keep dogs/cats because they're either useful, cuddly or we can empathise with them on some level. How would this apply to aliens?
  • A sword? Didn't you say shotgun before?
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:14:43
    ^^
    so they can be amused with your adorable human activities.
  • "A sword? Didn't you say shotgun before?"

You have to commit seppuku with a sword.
  • Seppuku is really dumb.

Just sayin'.
  • I guess they might think we're cuddly, or we might empathize with them, or there's a reason but we don't understand it because we're puny humans.
  • I'm still bothered by how I don't know what they look like in this hypothetical situation.

If they're giant robots like transformers I don't mind.

If they're GIANT BUNNIES I don't mind.

If they're like mass produced Jabba the Hutts I do mind.
  • You can change. You can.
    Why would you commit "seppuku"? We're not Samurais, and you're hardly military material.
  • What exactly are we going to be kept amused with? A gibbon requires a lot more mental stimulation than a hamster, and a human needs a lot to stave off boredom, let alone the sort of mind numbing monotony some animals experience in zoos.
  • No.

They would comprehend me, but I wouldn't comprehend them. I may as well be the pet of robots.
  • @Snowbull.

"useful, cuddly or we can empathise with them on some level."

And who says this wouldn't apply to the aliens as well?

• "Why would you commit "seppuku"? We're not Samurais, and you're hardly military material."

It's badass, and the only kind of honorable suicide I know.
This discussion has been closed.