If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?

Comments

• "No, you're advocating suicide for your freedom."

Only if the fight for freedom is hopeless.
  • When you have safety, freedom is overrated.
  • So we think we're hot shit but we can be won over by wet food?

Looking at some kids, sure. Except replace wet with warm.
  • No rainbow star
    Chagen, what if the species was an individual? And what if that individual was God?

Anyways, as long as I'd get to be with my girlfriend and as long as I wasn't neutered, fine
  • {Phew, Actual discussion about the topic at hand :D}

Um, I'd say a little from column A, a little from Column B.

That it'd vary the level of "Care" the aliens develop for us outside of providing things for us.

Some of the aliens care about you as though you were comparable to it's own species, while others merely want to observe you as an outsider to your "Fishbowl" Providing everything for you, but outside of that simply watching.
  • "Chagen, what if the species was an individual? And what if that individual was God?"

God is above mortal boundaries. He is nowhere near the disgusting creatures this thread is hypothesizing about.

"Some of the aliens care about you as though you were comparable to it's own species, while others merely want to observe you as an outsider to your "Fishbowl" Providing everything for you, but outside of that simply watching."

Even if I did submit to their oppressing rule, my natural paranoia would probably make me kill myself anyway in this kind of situation.
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:36:01
    No rainbow star
    Wait, this just made me suddenly think of the very situation that I have in my game. Where two people fight over security and freedom, with two gods that have no idea what compromise means

And the issue with the people following the Security Goddess is that they essentially going, "Well, this isn't so bad. At least we get what we need to live and be happy," with no idea what happiness even is due to lack of freedom

...Well frack, now I have to say that I would side with Chagen DEPENDING ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES of becoming a pet

EDIT: Although seriously, Chagen, have you met God? No? You can't speak for him then
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    @Chagen You know that for a fact? Did God tell you that personally?
  • God is diety far above humanity. He is all-just and righteous (if Christians aren't lying pieces of shit, that is).
  • No rainbow star
    Chagen, God has gone from sociopathic lunatic to all loving and back again in the blink of an eye in the Bible
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    He's far above humanity, so clearly he knows best. What if he decided that this was best for us?
  • "What if he decided that this was best for us?"

"Then God can go fuck himself."
  • But Icalasari. We do still have freedom, being free to be a "Pet" is a still a freedom.
  • @Icalasari: We might not know what freedom is if they adopted us (why? They aren't going to give us amnesia, are they?). Regardless, the people who are posting on this thread have lived free and do know what happiness is.
  • Well, for the topic itself, I still think it's a good idea.

I don't know why some of you are Dreading the thought being in the care of a highly superior intelligence.

Confuses me a bit, to be honest ^_^.
  • "Confuses me a bit, to be honest ^_^."

Some people would rather not be owned and watched by Big Brother.

Because, face it.

You guys are advocating a 1984-esque Big Brother Police State run by aliens.
  • Alternatively, we're suggesting a 101 Dalmatians-esque Radcliffe family home run by aliens
    Advocating is the wrong word. No one here is calling for the arrival of higher beings to visit earth.
  • Chagen, I want you to think of all the situations where humans exerted control over eachother and enslaved each other...

Alright?

This situation is nothing like those.
  • Which is still a 1984-esque Police State when you strip away the bullshit.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    This looks more like a widespread troll aimed at you, Chagen.

Everyone else here is just "hay that's kinda interesting, I wonder what it'd be like? It'd need to have X, Y and Z, though" while you're going full William Wallace over an imaginative exercise.
  • "Chagen, I want you to think of all the situations where humans exerted control over eachother and enslaved each other...

Alright?

This situation is nothing like those."

It may not be physical slavery, but it is metaphorical slavery.

You are being watched by a higher-being. This being can kill you any time it wants. It can enact insane laws to fuck with you. It views you as below it, and therefore may flat-out strip you of its sentience, and view you as a replaceable toy.

What's that, Billy? You killed Counterclock? Aw, don't worry, we'll just buy a new one for you.....

• No rainbow star
    StormTroper: All I meant was that this brought that to mind, which led me to changing my choice to, "Depending on the circumstances"
    "You are being watched by a higher-being. This being can kill you any time it wants. It can enact insane laws to fuck with you. It views you as below it, and therefore may flat-out strip you of its sentience, and view you as a replaceable toy."

Couldn't god do all of those things if he wanted to?

But he doesn't. And if they're benevolent, neither would the hypothetical aliens.
  • "Couldn't god do all of those things if he wanted to?

But he doesn't. And if they're benevolent, neither would the hypothetical aliens."

Once again, God is above such things as actions and benevolency.

He is all-knowing, all-powerful, and always just. He cannot do evil.
  • Right from the OP Chagen.

"Let's say they're benevolent"

If you don't want to discuss the Hypothetical situation, that's alright,
  • "Let's say they're benevolent"

They wish to own humanity as pets.

They are not benevolent. They are abhorrent creatures we should kill on sight.
  • Do note that it's kinda obvious from my posts, but I do not think humanity should submit to anybody.

We should be conquering galaxies and taking control of other species. We should be the ones on top, not other species. 

This is why I do not wish this to happen.
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:57:39
    No rainbow star
    ...Ok, everybody, just ignore Chagen at this point. The thread is just a hypothetical situation, and it is getting derailed now
  • what do you mean by that now? lol, >_>
This discussion has been closed.