If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?

edited 2011-07-12 21:17:32 in Philosophy
Pony Sleuth
Let's say they're benevolent and have a thorough understanding of the needs of humans, they just want to keep you in their living area so they can be amused with your adorable human activities.

I'm not really sure how I'd feel about it.

Comments

• "Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?"

Yes
  • I want to say I wouldn't be okay with it but, well...

I think I'd like that... >.>
  • You can change. You can.
    > Clock is a masochist.

Can't say I knew that.

Anyway, it depends on how exactly. I mean, I'm guessing that by "Adorable human activities" you mean...well, staying the same?
  • No.

And I'll kill anyone who tried to fuck with me like that. Keeping a sentient creature as a "pet" is tantamount to slavery.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    What if they wanted you to wear a diaper?
  • @Juan: Consider the life of a species of animal in cases where the animal is domesticated and in cases where the animal is feral.

Here's a tip, the domesticated ones usually live longer lives.

But being a pet would be odd, since humans are social creatures, you'd need to walk your human daily to get proper enjoyment out of them.
  • I dunno man, what if I get stuck with an abusive asshole?

Then again, the same is true for parents...
  • The Op makes it clear that your owner would take care of you.
  • Forzarw: Fuck that. It's still tantamount to slavery.

I can't beleive some of you are advocating this. I mean, the idea that you would is......It's anathema to me. I cannot comprehend it in the slightest.

I mean.....what the fuck

/LogicBomb
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    @Chagen: You had a cat, did you not?
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:33:07
    Never mind, didn't read correctly.
  • ^ "species with superior intelligence" implies that we would not be smarter than them.
  • Cats aren't particularly sapient. Hell, they're dumber than dogs.

As for this, it depends on what it'd entail.
  • Dyre just got....

Ninja'd

• Does it still count as slavery if they're double sentient?

Religious people don't seem to find the thought of servitude to a god to be disturbing at all.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    @Noimporta: I was just using this to point out how hypocritical Chagen's complaint is, since the OP can easile be interpreted as anti-pet ownership. If he had used the word "sapient" (which, to be fair, he might have meant), it would have made more sense.
  • A cat is not Sapient/Sentient (what's the difference?).

Gelzo: God doesn't have absolute control over us.

He's also above sentience/sapience (or anything mortal).

• sapient (comparative more sapient, superlative most sapient)

1. possessing wisdom and discernment

sentient (comparative more sentient, superlative most sentient)

1. Conscious or aware.
    2. Experiencing sensation or feeling.
    3. (Primarily in Science Fiction) Possessing human-like intelligence.
  • You don't have control over your pets every action Chagen.

• A creature owning you has control over you.

I could not live under that, being as paranoid as I am.

The fact that people actually have no problem with this, however, is truly a sign of the downfall of the human race.

• The fact that people actually have no problem with this, however, is truly a sign of the downfall of the human race.

Lolwut?  I just think it sounds kinda sexy...
  • It depends on how much I like the master.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:43:51
    Pony Sleuth
    ^^^^^^Sure, that's like I said. Double sentient.

What if what you considered to be God was a juvenile member of a race of similarly powered beings, and our reality was his version of a fish tank?
  • DYRE: You're a goddamn slave.

I, personally, would just kill any aliens I came across, anyway. Humanity is number one, in my opinion. Anyone else? Not so much.
  • "What if what you considered to be God was a juvenile member of a race of similarly powered beings, and our reality was his version of a fish tank?"

He's still a diety far above human boundaries, or the boundaries of language/knowledge/comprehension itself.

God, to me, is a good version of Cthulu.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:47:16
    Pony Sleuth
    "I, personally, would just kill any foreigners I came across, anyway. Germany is number one, in my opinion. Anyone else? Not so much."

^That doesn't really answer anything. How is a god any different from what we're talking about in terms of dignity and freedom?
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:47:01
    I don't see what's wrong with being a slave if I'm consenting to it (which I am) and I'm 100% certain that my master would treat me well and make sure my needs are met and that I'm entertained and whatnot (which I am).
  • Chagen, if you abuse your pets, I'll call animal services : /

• There's a difference between races of humans, and the human species compared to other species entirely.
  • "I don't see what's wrong with being a slave if I'm consenting to it (which I am) and I'm 100% certain that my master would treat me well and make sure my needs are met and that I'm entertained and whatnot (which I am)."

You're still a slave.

You still are being controlled by an outside master.

There is no such thing as freedom in that situation.
This discussion has been closed.