If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?

Comments

• You have to commit seppuku with a sword.

I'm pretty sure you can do it with a knife.
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:18:19
    Has friends besides tanks now
    If they're GIANT BUNNIES I'll just about jizz my pants in amazement (merely amazement, not . . . amazement. >_>).

Now you may carry on with your regularly-scheduled melodrama.
  • I'm sure dogs comprehend people fairly well. I imagine we could understand them on at least some level.
  • "I'm pretty sure you can do it with a knife."

Sword look cooler.
  • WHAT IF THEY'RE US FROM THE FUTURE
  • I'm pretty sure you can do it with a knife.

I think you're specifically supposed to do it with a wakizashi, which is, well, a sword.
  • "I suggest thumping that, I don't want to see people getting banned over this."

Fuck that, I shouldn't get the B& for letting loose a little snark on occasion. Besides, I was mostly joking. Mostly.
  • It's badass, and the only kind of honorable suicide I know.

dousing yourself with gasoline and setting yourself on fire in a crowded public place is also considered an honorable form of protest.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Badass: the best reason to commit painful suicide.
  • This one finds that idea very disturbing. No, she won't agree to it if she had any say.

As been said earlier, cats are not sapient.

Then again, if the difference in sapience level is as great as between human and cat, then it is quite possible that this one would not understand that she is owned, just like cat or this one's pet snail do not comprehend the concept. But in this case, whatever this one thinks of it is irrelevant.

As long as this one understands what's going on - no.
  • What exactly are we going to be kept amused with? A gibbon requires a lot more mental stimulation than a hamster, and a human needs a lot to stave off boredom, let alone the sort of mind numbing monotony some animals experience in zoos.
    Pet cities with pet cinemas, pet sport stadiums and pet internet.
  • Swords are more expensive though.

WHAT IF THEY'RE US FROM THE FUTURE

I'd say who my master is would be held to even more specific standards then. >_>
  • Swords are more expensive though.

WHAT IF THEY'RE US FROM THE FUTURE

I'd say who my master is would be held to even more specific standards then. >_>
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:20:52
    Cue-bey
    ^^^Man, that reminds me of the time the zoo removed the playground it had and transplanted it into the gibbon/monkey facilities. Fun times.

^i didn't mean us in specific, just humans
  • I will not budge on my position, no matter what is said to me.

Even if God himself said it was my duty as a Christian to serve these beings, I would disobey him. I would Rage At The Heavens themselves.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    "I will not budge on my position, no matter what is said to me."

Then what's the point of even debating it?

"Even if God himself said it was my duty as a Christian to serve these beings, I would disobey him. I would Rage At The Heavens themselves."

Nice conviction in your beliefs, there.
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:22:50
    Tableflipper
    ^^^ I know.
  • Ok, I want a stream-lined opinion here.

What does superior intelligence mean to you. To you personally.

Because people tend to forget how far technology can leap even with our level of intelligence.
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:24:46
    Wait a second, is this about Doctor Who?
  • "Then what's the point of even debating it?"

It's interesting to see people's different opinions on this, even if I view their opinions as abhorrent.

"Nice conviction in your beliefs, there."

When I am driven that far.....

• You can change. You can.
    Le sigh...

Yes, Chagen. You should strive to be one of those jackasses of olden times who followed a semisucidal, nihilistic code of honor which pretty much sounds like obliteration of the self because of honor.

No, you're not being irrational.

Yes, fighting benevolent living things is good.

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Yes, I'm bored of this argument.

No, I can't leave. My head hurts and I feel like arguing with you because it'd be rude if I left all of a sudden without at least reaching a compromise or conclusion.
  • What does superior intelligence mean to you. To you personally.

It's meaningless if they don't have working, efficient giant robots and a permanent youth-giving whatever.
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:27:22
    Cue-bey
    @Counterclock: I wouldn't really know. Just as a hamster can't really comprehend the things that make us more intelligent than it, would we be able to understand what higher order intelligence is?

And what sort of pet are we? There's a vast gulf of intelligence/equality with humans when you compare some guppies in a bowl and someone's dog.
  • "And what sort of pet are we?"

A new sort of pet?

• I mean on level of personal companionship. A fish is mostly kept in a tank and maybe looked at once in a while if its something like a goldfish, but a dog can become like a family member.
  • "Yes, Chagen. You should strive to be one of those jackasses of olden times who followed a semisucidal, nihilistic code of honor which pretty much sounds like obliteration of the self because of honor."

I'm not advocating that. I'm advocating fighting for your freedom.

"No, you're not being irrational."

Oh look, I can already see the sarcasm.

"Yes, fighting benevolent living things is good."

They wish to enslave humanity and make us their pets.

They are not benevolent.

"No, I'm not being sarcastic."

Hoo boy, sarcasm.
  • edited 2011-07-12 23:31:15
    You can change. You can.
    I'm guessing we're like dogs? Always horny, dirty, all touchy feely? Or like cats? All smug and shit, yet somehow loved?

No, there's no bias here. Why do you ask?

^If you didn't detect the sarcasm at the first sentence, then you clearly need a Sarcasm Detector. May I hook you up with one from Proffesor Frink?
  • We're closer to cats I think.
  • So we think we're hot shit but we can be won over by wet food?
    "I'm not advocating that. I'm advocating fighting for your freedom."
    No, you're advocating suicide for your freedom.
This discussion has been closed.