If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Thoughts on the Spanish Language

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is the following correct?

"What are those?"
    "Those are the arepas."

"Que son esos?"
    "Esas son las arepas."
  • That is correct.
    "I'm learning Spanish, so if I speak here, I will try to use Spanish."

Should subjunctive mood or conditional tense be used for any over the verbs in this sentence, if I were to translate this into Spanish?
  • Oh wait, I was supposed to respond to this thread. Anyhow most people would translate that as "Estoy aprendiendo español, así que si fuera a hablar aquí trataría de hablar en español."
  • edited 2017-12-10 03:17:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh wait, I was supposed to respond to this thread. Anyhow most people would translate that as "Estoy aprendiendo español, así que si fuera a hablar aquí trataría de hablar en español."
    Okay, so:
    * imperfect subjunctive of "ir a" + infinitive "hablar": "[if] I were going to speak"
    * conditional of "tratar de" + infinite "hablar": "would try to speak"

That makes sense.

"If I were going to speaking here, I would try to speak Spanish."
  • Ir, como "voy a hablar español".
  • edited 2017-12-10 03:19:11
    Ir, como "voy a hablar español".

Comprendo; gracias. Edité mi entrada anterior.
  • edited 2017-12-12 23:32:33
    ¡Soy un tiburón!
    ¡Soy un tiburón!
    ¡Chúpame la verga!
    ¡Soy un tiburón!
    No presenta el mismo tono que la canción original (NSFW).
  • ¡Tiburoooon!
    ¡Tiburoooon!
    ¡Chupaloooo!
    ¡Tiburoooon!

Es Que Me Molesta: Leer la palabra "tibio" en un contexto en que no se si quiere decir "no está lo suficientemente frio" ó "no está lo suficientemente caliente.
    ¡Tiburoooon!
    ¡Tiburoooon!
    ¡Chupaloooo!
    ¡Tiburoooon!
    me reí
  • edited 2017-12-27 20:02:22
    Spanish has many more instances of a geographic place name being the same as its demonym, compared to English. It's almost unheard-of in English.
  • edited 2017-12-28 15:57:51
    What do you mean? The only ones I can come up with are Argentina, (República) Dominicana and China (Can't think of a non-country example).
    What do you mean? The only ones I can come up with are Argentina, (República) Dominicana and China (Can't think of a non-country example).

Actually, you're right, there aren't that many. Still more than English though, which basically has none I can think of.

"Eleventeenth" is translated as "Onceavo". lol
    @Stormtroper: how would you translate "black and red bullet" in five syllables?
  • ^ I'm stumped. If possible I'd instead change "black and red" with one of the more specific words for red colors, e.g. "bala carmesí", "bala (de) carmín", etc.

Sometimes I wonder if the pronunciation of greek words we used at our faculty are the same elsewhere: Alfa, beta, ganma, delta, epsilon, eta, tita, lambda, miu, niu, ceila/rabito de cochino, pi, ro, sigma, fi, si, omega.
  • edited 2018-02-06 20:08:26
    > ganma

why the n?

> epsilon

Which syllable do you accent?

> ceila/rabito de cochino

one of these greek letter names is funny and i think it's this one
  • why the n?

dunno lol

I think I most often heard it as "ganma" but on second thought I sometimes hear it as "gama".
    Which syllable do you accent?

épsilon*

Also I'm reminded that in school we called θ "teta" but it changed to "tita" at university, perhaps because "teta" also means "tit".

Also:
    "Eleventeenth" is translated as "Onceavo". lol

It's fairly common to translate the 11-15 numbers with an -avo at the end, though I don't think it's formally correct ("decimo primero" etc. certainly are).
    ¿Que juegos me corren en esta laptop?
    Is "me" an indirect object?
  • *checks Wikipedia* Yeah, I think so.
  • edited 2018-02-11 01:42:25
    ¿Qué es la palabra que significa lo mismo que "kitchen sink" in inglés, idiomáticamente?

e.g.

"Esto parece ser un 'fregadero' de características de personalidad."
  • *cual

Están conglomerado y mescolanza, también están pasticho y mazacote pero creo que esos son jerga local.
    ¡Gracias!

The difference between Castilian and Latin American Spanish is surprisingly noticeable.

I wonder what people of each of these (meta)regions sound like to each other.
  • People in Spain sound like they come from the medieval era to us.

Also dubs in these language sound so different because those in Latin America are voiced by professionals artists giving their craft their all to bring emotion to their performances, while those over there are voiced by hollow human-shaped husks.

Hungarian Patrick is best Patrick tho.
  • Today I learned about Ladino (tl;dr: offshoot of ancient Spanish that preserves some of its features that modern Spanish doesn't).

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    You are slow, its our version of yiddish
  • I also missed this (NSFW I guess):

^ wat
    Is this an attempt at creating a Japanese music video except in Spanish?

Anyway, does anyone know what the Spanish translation of Shulk's meme line "I'm really feelin' it" is?