If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Thoughts on the Spanish Language

Comments

• edited 2017-06-07 02:04:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Besides the acute accent, Spanish is also famous for the eñe letter, "ñ." This is pronounced approximately
    like "ny," so "ñoño" above would be pronounced "nyonyo" (a Mexican word
    that more or less means "nerd") For another example, the English word
    "canyon" is derived from the Spanish "cañón."

ñoñoron~
  • edited 2017-06-19 23:15:45
    If "eje" is used to refer to part of a plant, what part would it be? the stem?

https://www.scribd.com/document/58336479/Zonas-de-Vida
    "...tienen ejes cortos, hojas pequeñasy coriáceas, raíces muy desarrolladas y flores de colores intensos."

----

nota ajena:
    RIEGO -> RIESGO => S
    #puzzleideas
  • edited 2017-07-16 05:28:28
    Is the usted/tú distinction more about whether a person is a stranger to vs. familiar to you, or more about being respectful of persons of higher social rank vs. not needing to show that same respect to persons of equal or lower social rank, or more about the usage context (e.g. would use it for a company's official help pages but not for conversation on a forum)?
  • It's a combination of the three. For example, you use 'usted' with complete strangers on the street, people of considerably higher social rank or in a formal context. Otherwise you'd probably end up using 'tú'.

I think as a general rule you should use 'usted' if in English you'd append a 'Mr.' or 'sir' or the person's title when referring to them in a similar context.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Vi un lagardo mojado fuera de la ventana.
  • edited 2017-08-17 13:07:24
    ¿Un lagarto? Suena peligroso.

Edit: Me vengo a dar cuenta de que me faltó leer un post:
    If "eje" is used to refer to part of a plant, what part would it be? the stem?

It's the first time I see "eje" referring to part of a plant. I'm guessing it means the stem, too.
    Yo estaba un idiota y escribí mal "lagardo" en lugar de "lagarto".

Aquí la mayoría de los lagartos son lindos y pequeños, no peligrosos.
  • MeMolesta: no hay coma en el numpad, por lo que no se pueden escribir decimales con una sola mano rápidamente.
  • Alright, I have to ask.

Why do anglophones think our "J" makes a "W" sound (or something)? Like all those Juan => One jokes back when he was here. I've seen it everywhere in different contexts and it's not something that makes sense in either language.
    The Spanish "U" is unaccented, and thus "Juan" sounds basically like "Hwahn" in typical English phonology. Say it quickly enough, and the leading "H" disappears, and you're left with "wahn". Meanwhile, "one" is pronounced "wuhn", which is close.
    MeMolesta: no hay coma en el numpad, por lo que no se pueden escribir decimales con una sola mano rápidamente.

Es tu culpa que usas comas en lugar de puntos para escribir decimales.

(¿"usás"?)
  • Parte de mi trabajo involucra meter datos en Excel, y meter puntos en vez de comas lo echa a perder. Quizá pueda cambiarlo...

Pero aparte de eso prefiero las comas, son mucho mejores excepto al escribir vectores en forma de tuplas.
    (¿"usás"?)

"Usas", aunque coloquialmente en algunas partes (incluyendo aquí) "usás" también sirve.
    What's the usage difference between "en lugar de" and "en vez de"?

also i just discovered the false friend "meter"
  • What's the usage difference between "en lugar de" and "en vez de"?

Creo que ninguna.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Makes sense, metro is the real word, "meter" is a corruption of a corruption.
  • edited 2017-09-06 22:49:49
    vandro wrote: »
    Makes sense, metro is the real word, "meter" is a corruption of a corruption.

It seems like the two basically just have two totally separate etymologies. The English word comes from French and ancient Greek for measurement, while the Spanish word comes from a Latin word for sending or putting something.

----

En español el término para "(magical) device" de la franquicia Nanoha es "dispositivo (mágico)".

El dispositivo de Fuuka Reventon se llama "Huracan", a partir del Lamborghini Huracán.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    The meter i meant is Meter as in english meter, not the verb.
  • edited 2017-09-26 00:31:46
    "Cuando las cosas van mal hay q luchar. Cuando van bien hay q emprender nuevas luchas" decía papá. Hoy cumplía años.

(source: twitter.com/figuerescr/status/912355677296873473 )

' "When things go poorly, one should fight. When things go well, one should begin new fights" said my father. Today was his birthday.'

Is this correct?
  • It is correct. Although you may want to translate "lucha" as "struggle" when you don't want to make it sound like it's about a conflict between opposing sides or an actual physical fight or something.
  • edited 2017-10-01 07:13:10
    Aprendí que en francés también tienen la canción de los elefantes que se columpiaban sobre la tela de una araña (con una melodía y letra un poco cambiada).

Also I've noticed that in English handwritten text I'm much less likely to see 7s written with a dash.

1489362184305.jpg
  • edited 2017-10-01 22:43:41
    Aprendí que en francés también tienen la canción de los elefantes que se columpiaban sobre la tela de una araña (con una melodía y letra un poco cambiada).

Also I've noticed that in English handwritten text I'm much less likely to see 7s written with a dash.

1489362184305.jpg

Aparece que hay versiónes de la canción en muchas lenguas.

¿Es ésta la versión estándar en español?
  • La melodía lo es, pero la letra es muy distinta a cualquiera que haya oído. La que teníamos de chiquito era:
    n elefantes se columpiaban sobre la tela de una araña,
    como veían que resistía fueron a llamar a otro elefante.

(Sin ningún "verso final")

Sé que muchas versiones tienen "balanceaban" en vez de "columpiaban", pero aparte de eso son más o menos iguales.
  • Es Que Me Molesta: Cuando dice "en lo absoluto" o algo así y no sé si quiere decir "absolutamente" ó "absolutamente no".
    9c438eb2ea4f54d2107ba93f3408ba99--spanish-teacher-teaching-spanish.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180081001

Es rápido. Steam dice que he jugado 412 horas y todavía estoy en el nivel 92.
  • edited 2017-11-02 22:45:17
    Is "muertos de risa" a turn-of-phrase in Spanish meaning heavy laughter?

Because it's shown up in a Steam thread that someone conveniently posted in both Spanish and English.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/7/1480982971162654311/
    ¿QUE JUEGO ME COMPRO?
    Estoy indeciso por algun juego, tengo 23€ en steam muertos de risa y queria gastarmelo en algun tipo de juego. Estoy buscando un juego para viciarse MUCHAS horas, no de los que juegas dos horas y ya te has cansado, no, Un juego que sea divertido y que no este olvidado por la comunidad, si no que haya gente jugando. Tengo muchos juegos nuevos pero me gustaria comprarme alguno mas, como he dicho ya tengo 23€ muertos de risa xd! SALUDOS! :D
    http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/7/1480982971162662460/
    WHAT GAME I BUY?
    I'm undecided by some game, I have € 23 in steam killed laughing and I wanted to spend it on some kind of game. I am looking for a game for me. MANY hours, I do not have time for hours and you have a tired, no, a game that is fun and that is not forgotten by the community, if not that there are people playing. I have many new games but I would like to buy more, as I said I already have € 23 dead laugh xd! REGARDS!
    Esto parece una traducción automática.
  • Is "muertos de risa" a turn-of-phrase in Spanish meaning heavy laughter?

It is, although I can't tell exactly what that person meant with that. At least around here the phrase is also used to refer to something being easy (i.e. it's so easy it's funny), but unless that person meant they have easy access to income or something, that's not what it meant.
    Esto parece una traducción automática.

Lo es.
    Informamos que la @AEEONLINE cumplió nuestra meta del 50% de generación para hoy. Gracias al compromiso de nuestros servidores públicos. #PRSeLevanta
    Gobernador creo que su % acaba de cambiar. Se fue la luz en Centro Médico -y Hosp Municipal -y en el CRIM.
    Notes to self:
    * acabar de = "to have just"
    * se fue = "it went away", conjugation of "irse", literally "to go itself", or to leave
  • edited 2017-11-17 01:31:09
    What are the most similar Spanish words to the string "uli"?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I can make a joke in Spanish with the phrase "no te uli".

Why this phrase? because
    qOZvfE3.jpg