If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Riddle of Steel

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Oh, goodness.

Sorry. I'll see if I can make enough sense of the rules to put a character out.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Thank you :V
    Well, I've sorted out my priorities. Now to get to actually making a sheet out of it.

A: Attributes
    B: Proficiencies
    C: Skills
    D: Social Class
    E: Gifts & Flaws
    F: Race
  • I didn't forget this, I've just been busy.

Feel free to start without me, but I'll try to get a character ready when I have the time.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

And if that doesn't inspire character sheets, I don't know what will.
    Is there an editable pdf of the character sheet from the original core rulebook lying around the Internet anywhere? I'd like to have the sheet done, but I don't want it to be in plain old post format.
    Not that I know of.

I know the guys at /tg/ are working on a second edition of the game, though. They might eventually get around to something like that (although that's hardly relevant to us at the moment, I guess). I think the TRoS website has a character gen, too.
  • edited 2012-01-21 12:48:04
    Has friends besides tanks now

Name: Elejas Lemet

Race: Human

Sex: Male

Class: Low Freeman

Faith/Creed: Atheist

Concept: Ex-Tribal Archer

Philosophy: "All things are in my own hands."

Attributes:

ST 5, AG 7, TO 5, EN 4, HT 4, WP 5, Wit 5, MA 4, Soc 2, Per 6, Aim 7, Reflex 6, Move 8, Knockout 8, Knockdown 6, Conscience 0, Destiny 2 (Become a feared warrior), Drive 2 ("Never be defeated"), Faith 0, Luck 3

Gifts & Flaws: Bloodlust (major flaw), Patron (minor gift)

Skills:

Animal Guise 7, Battle 7, Boating 6, Camouflage 7, Climbing 8, Etiquette (Clan) 6, First Aid 6, Gambling 8, Herbalist 8, Hunting 5, Intimidate 7, Leadership 8, Orienteering 6, Scrounging 7, Sneak 7, Survival 7, Swimming 6

Proficiencies: Bow 7, Crossbow 4, Pole-arms 6, Dagger 2,

Currency: 12 gold, 15 silver, and 10 copper standard

Possessions: Longbow, 200 arrows (not all on his person at once, of course), and three hunting dogs (Fletcher, Horsehair, and Poplar)

----

A: Attributes

B: Proficiencies

C: Skills

D: Social Class

E: Gifts & Flaws

F: Race

Coupla things.

- One stat has to be higher than the others, and your highest stat can be 7. That means only AG or Per can be 7, and one of those stat points has to be redistributed somewhere else.
    - For your Destiny, Drive, and Faith spiritual attributes, you have to elect focuses. Well, we know what faith is in this case, but Destiny and Drive still need focuses.
  • edited 2012-01-08 17:37:11
    -Right. I'll just put a point from Perception towards Strength.
    -Okay. I guess that won't be too hard.
    It's pretty important. Since spiritual attributes drive character progression (they're how you level up), having clearly defined viewpoints and motivations for your character is a big deal. The idea is that spiritual attributes empower your character through reaching their goals and playing to their values -- basically, you level up by roleplaying.
    Will the ones I listed do?
    Absolutely.

Alright, bumping again.

Now that we've got three characters, this is a possible starting point. I would, however, ideally like at least one more character before we begin organising timeslots and the like.

What we can now do is start fleshing out you guys, and how characters relate and all. For instance, Everest has a pretty strange character -- a tribal archer in a time of mighty kingdoms and gunpowder. For instance, perhaps he was from a Germano-Slavic tribe before the Teutonic Knights rode in, fucked shit up and converted the survivors to Christianity, which Jackhart payed lip service towards? As part of his tribe's lands coming under control of the Teutonic Knights, however, perhaps he was made to fight on behalf of the Germans under the Habsburg banner, thus finding him in this scenario?

With that in mind, there's likely some camraderie between himself an INUH's character, who was similarly forced into military service. Cygan's character, on the other hand, might think a little lowly of both of them, as she freely chose to take part.

Oh, and Everest, your archery skill can default you to 4 with gunpowder weapons.

Well, ex-tribal; he left the tribe for some reason or other and now works as a hunter for his patron, eventually volunteering to fight in the war that his new home was fighting, or being forced into it by his patron. His reason for leaving could very well be that he felt his tribe outclassed by the ever-advancing war machinery of the times.

Also, a bonus to gunpowder weapons should be pretty helpful.

Or that. Your character, your call.

• I wouldn't hold out much- or any- hope for my participation this quarter. I'm getting assigned an assload of reading, and I'm going to be mentally drained as it is without making a commitment to a diversion that requires this much thought.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

> With that in mind, there's likely some camraderie between himself an INUH's character, who was similarly forced into military service. Cygan's character, on the other hand, might think a little lowly of both of them, as she freely chose to take part.

I think it's more likely that she would both think lowly of him, as he's pressed into service and she's willing and eager to help, and relating to him somewhat, as they've both been somewhat... disadvantaged in life :v

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Argh, I need to think of another name for my guy...I suck at names T_T

Where is he from?

I don't think I ever actually decided T_T

I'll tell you in the morning, since I'm more or less about to pass out from slepdep/ 

Right, didn't sleep much, but I'm awake now.

I think I'll make my character Swiss. just because that was what came to mind.

Now, names...

I suck at names T_T

Well, Swiss names are German names. Heinrich? Otto? Johannes?

Otto is a good name, I think.

• edited 2012-01-11 16:40:14

Hmm. I sorta skimmed past the details of the campaign, so I wasn't aware that this would be based on actual history.

@Alex: Off the top of your head, which countries generally held more pillaging/burning/maiming clans/tribes or whatnot in medieval Europe? And based on those, which would make the most sense for this campaign, for ease of assimilation?

And knowing that I can't just come up with some fantasy-esque name lest it sound silly, I suppose I'll need something resembling a clan/tribe name, and an actual name. Once I have a better idea of what my character's origins could be, I'll fix him up. 

Well, during the 15th century, the Teutonic Knights were still campaigning in North Eastern Europe against heathen tribes from their bases in Prussia and Austria. All of Western Europe is, at this point, staunchly Catholic. Most of Eastern Europe is Greek Orthodox, but there are still pagan holdovers from time to time.

What makes it somewhat difficult is that this is the mid-1400s. At this late medieval stage, much of Europe is highly civilised and lawful, with most violence being the result of clashing kingdoms rather than tribal war or religious dispute.

So maybe he traveled from North Eastern Europe? Convoluted without explanation, but maybe that's workable.

That'll work.

So what all still needs doing before we can start?

I need to spend my character's money on stuff (aside from a bow and arrows, and maybe a gun, what would you recommend, Alex? How much of the essentials?). And I need to figure out a more specific character origin.

That's just me, though; there's still the matter of us, as a group, discussing expectations.