If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Riddle of Steel

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I'm unsure of the legalities. As I've mentioned in previous posts, however, it was not altogether difficult to find.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    The Riddle of Steel, then, how much would the pdf size be?
    My folder's 203 MB.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I am wondering how would we play? IRC?
    Yeah, plus the diceroll app.
    So I've been reading some expansion material, and I found a new method for character creation that might be more up our alley for magical characters.

You still use the priorities A-F, but each one has a point value attached. You may spend up to 15 points.

A = 5
    B = 4
    C = 3
    D = 2
    E = 1
    F = 0

If you have one of each, it all adds up to 15 points -- so it's balanced against standard character creation. The idea is that you can take multiple selections of a particular priority as long as everything adds up to 15.

So, say I wanted to be a knight, right? Knights are fairly gnarly dudes, and they're high class to match. I might go

B: Social Class (Unlanded Noble.)
    B: Attributes (Pretty fit and quick-minded.)
    B: Proficiencies (Well-trained in combat.)

So there's 12 points done. Between my other three stats, I've got 3 points to spend. I might go.

D: Gifts and Flaws (Cancels out.)
    E: Skills (Not particularly studious outside martial arts.)
    F: Race (Human.)

If I were to apply this to a magical character, however, I might do this:

B: Proficiencies
    B: Attributes
    B: Race

Again, 12 points spread evenly over three main entries.

D: Gifts and Flaws
    E: Social Class
    F: Skills

This way, you can vary your character build a lot more. Completely optional, of course, but if you're having trouble balancing your concept against game mechanics, give it a whirl.
    BAMP.

So, the publisher, I've found, is actually out of business. This game is out of print, so I can post downloads without guilt.

Clicky.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    @MadassAlex: Someone on GitP asked me what Riddle of Steel is when I brought it up, so is it okay if I copypaste your OP as an explanation?
    Sure thing.
    Thanks.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^^ YAAAY! :D
    I'm probably not going to join this, since the Vampire game is off the ground, but you might be getting a new player (and thus, the forum might get fresh blood).
    Thanks for the heads up, Everest.

Also, everyone else, get on this. >:|
  • I just finished downloading the PDFs.
    ^^ False alarm; the site freezes up when he logs in.
    Are people still in on this? I'm currently developing an altered history setting, although I might have to veto the capacity to play as a magical character for it to work (it'd be too easy otherwise).

Think of a very slightly steampunk mid-15th century in Central Europe. Early industrial technology via a chance invention by the Benedictine Order of monks conflicts with the increasing perfection and artistry of clockwork, politically and economically.

This means you guys can run the gamut of non-magical character builds, as this is a period where medieval technology was reaching its logical conclusion and new technology was being introduced.

I'd love to give more detail, but as part of the campaign, I have an introductory, "tutorial" session planned so that you guys can get used to the game, set up character relationships and so on. I don't intend to introduce the main crux of the story until the end of the first session or the beginning of the second. If I had to give you an idea, my intention is for it to be high adventure in the early Renaissance. It's a time and place where knights, swashbucklers, gunslingers and all other manner of characters rub shoulders.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Ah, I never got around to posting my character. The sheet's been sitting on my desk this entire time, too T_T

Gimme a second; I'll type it up.
  • edited 2012-01-14 15:38:55
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Here's what I have so far:

Name: Otto

Race: Human (well, I guess that's obvious now)

Sex: M

Class: Low Freeman

Faith/Creed: Christian, I guess

Concept: Hobbyist spy

Philosophy: Everything can be known.

Attributes:

ST 4WP 5

AG 5Wit 5

TO 3MA 5

EN 5Soc 6

HT 4Per 5

Reflex 5

Aim 5

Knockdown 4

Knockout 5

Move 7

Spiritual Attributes:

Luck 2

Passion (uncovering secrets) 2

Passion (keeping his hobby a secret) 1

Faith -

Conscience -

Gifts: Area knowledge, Intuition

Skills:

Etiquette (court)7

Persuasion 9

Ridicule 9

Games 8

Dancing 9

Diplomacy 9

Read/write 8

Intrigue 9

Law 10

Sincerity 8

Panhandling 8

Traps 9

Streetwise 8

Scrounging 9

Pickpocket 9

Lockpicking 10

Climbing 10

Gambling 10

B&E 9

Sneak 8

Proficiency: Daggers 6

Currency: 15 gold standard

Possessions:

- Maille torso armour.
    - Leather arm and leg armour. 
    - Pot helm. 
    - Arming sword. 
    - Dagger.
    - Halberd. 

I tried to use toggle tags, but they broke it.
    Heh, I just know your character's going to be rather amusing in context of what I have planned. <_<
    I'm...not sure if that's a good thing or not...

Anyway, is there anything I'm obviously missing, or that's weird? It's been awhile since I wrote that up.

The one thing I find odd myself is the court etiquette skill that came with the packages. I really don't think it fits the character.
    IIRC, you have two more points to spend on Spiritual Attributes. Furthermore, if you take Faith, you have to point out what that faith is -- even if it's faith in money, or believing in a particular deity or none.

As for court etiquette, I'll allow you to swap it out for something else if you don't feel it fits.
    Oh? I thought it was five points. And yeah, right, I'll do that; I think I was waiting to know more about the setting.

Ah, thanks. I'll take a look at the skills list and swap that out.
  • edited 2011-12-16 21:05:03
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Alright, some preliminary detail.

The party are soldiers fighting for the German-Swiss alliance in the Old Zurich War of the 1440s. Whether you were roped into it or volunteered is up to your own character -- I would assume INUH's character faced the option of a noose at home or a sword on the battlefield and took the statistically safer option, for instance. Your adversaries are the  cantons of the Old Swiss Confederacy, and your allies are the French. You all fight as part of the same regiment. Note that, while fighting for the German-Swiss alliance, you don't have to be German or Swiss. Acceptable origins range from the western reaches of the Middle East to the northern reaches of Africa to anywhere in Europe.

While the setup for this campaign begins with war, the idea is not to get you guys fighting as many battles as possible or anything. Circumstances conspire to free you of the duties of an infantryman pretty quickly -- it's just a convenient excuse to have the characters know one-another, go through some hardships together, meet in a nonstandard location and set up the main plot.

Also, don't look up the war or anything. It was a real war, but I'd rather you guys didn't know much about it for the purposes of... stuff. In general. I may or may not use certain elements of it.
    Sounds interesting.

Would that backstory mean my cover's already blown, though?
    Nope.
    Ah, good. Just checking.

In that case...we just need to wait for a few more people...if that actually happens...damn, why do these things never get off the ground?
    Less of a "you're a criminal, thus execution or military service"
    situation, more of an "execution or military service" situation.

And yeah. I'd love to see this get started, because I think you guys would be excellent players. Usually, in meatspace, I have to put up with That Player, except that most of my players are That Player.
  • edited 2011-12-18 06:37:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, that makes sense. Would my character's employers give him special assignments during this time or something?

Despite my statements that web games are too hard to get off the ground, I think most of my TTRPG experience comes from web games. Organizing a game is just really hard in general.
    No, your character's essentially been kidnapped. He and his employers are out of the loop, at least for now.
    Got it. That should make things easy in terms of getting the story started.