If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Riddle of Steel

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Ooh, that's very helpful.
    I don't recall this from the core rules.

Which is fine. We're using this. It sounds too awesome not to use.
    You know, the character sheet I printed out had a slot for that, but I couldn't find it in the rulebook either.
  • edited 2011-12-18 08:40:35
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "Usually, in meatspace, I have to put up with That Player, except that most of my players are That Player."

iknowthatfeelbro.repeatingmyselftoomuch

I'd totally join if I weren't in the middle of something already. Although that thing's moving slowly enough, and with enough players with infuriating grammar, that I might just quit anyway. Or join both games at once. That's an option, too, I guess.

I wonder if a time limit on registration/starting would get people properly fired up.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Blah, the thing itself is apparently 20,000 characters too long to copy, so here, have a download link
  • edited 2011-12-18 09:36:32
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Protip: copying directly from a text document causes all sorts of absurdly long HTML to artificially extend your post when you put it on IJBM, but only if you use the WYSIWYG editor. Pasting it in HTML mode doesn't do that, though on the downside, you have to redo a lot of the line breaks and such.

Also: Yay! Another player! And it's Cygan! :D
    Alright, so we've got two characters worked out. I'd be willing to start once we have four -- perhaps three if things go too slowly.
  • Popping in to let y'all know that I'm aware of this thread. I would have started on my character sooner, but people hadn't been posting, so I didn't bother. I've got some free time now, though. Maybe I could have it done up in a day or two.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Also, I have to wonder about starting equipment and all :V
    You all begin with the following:

- Maille torso armour.
    - Leather arm and leg armour.
    - Pot helm.
    - Arming sword.
    - Dagger.
    - Halberd.
    - Any further personal effects you elect to buy.

You can ditch your stuff as you please. For instance, pot helms impose a penalty on your Combat Pool (and Perception). You might elect to take it off and clip it to your belt instead, forgoing the protection for additional offensive effectiveness. Keep in mind, though, that a pot helm has AV4, which is quite substantial and could save your character's life.

With that in mind, I'd like to make a note on Proficiencies. You can improvise skills even if your weapon doesn't technically fall under your favoured Proficiency. For instance, if your pole-axe skills are better than your polearm skills, you can use a regular polearm with the pole-axe Proficiency if you so choose. In such circumstances, however, you cannot use polearm maneuvers -- you must use the pole-axe maneuvers, as those are the skills you're using at the time.

By the same logic, you could use sword and shield Proficiency if you're using a longsword one-handed with the shield in the off hand. As a reversal, you could use an arming sword with the longsword Proficiency if you're not also using a shield.

Also, keep in mind your "defaults". Certain Proficiencies inform others. For instance, longsword Proficiency defaults on sword and shield at -2. This means that, if longsword is your highest Proficiency, sword and shield will be 2 less than longsword. You have either one or two "dominant" Proficiencies from which others default:

1. One for close combat (pretty much everyone should have this).
    2. One for ranged combat (some of you might have this).

Basically, this allows your fighting skills to develop together. Some Proficiencies are more efficient for this kind of development than others. For instance, longsword defaults to one hell of a lot of proficiencies at -2, but pugilism? Almost everything is -4, meaning that if pugilism is your highest Proficiency, everything else is going to lag behind pretty seriously.

Also, you all begin with polearm Proficiency at 4, unless it is already equivalent or higher. In that case, you begin with that Proficiency at +2 if it's 4 or 5. +1 if it's 6.
    ohgodwhat

Awright then, lessee

Wait. If I have a Wrestling proficiency of 2, but a Longsword proficiency of 5, since that defaults to Wrestling 2 anyway, why do I even have these points in Wrestling? Do I get like, bonus points in Wrestling, or what?
  • edited 2011-12-18 23:12:53
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Yes. Your wrestling would be 4, in that case.

... of course, since you're defaulting to -3, you could add those points to longsword instead for 7, and still have a wrestling of 4.

(This would also make your polearms 5, but 7 with the bonus I gave to the party as above.)

EFFICIENCY.
    That's exactly what I was thinking! Then I would have 7 Longsword and still decent wrestling skills, as well as fair skills in things like Sword and Shield, and Daggers.

So I would have-

Longsword - 7
    Case of Rapiers - 3
    Cut and Thrust - 4
    Dagger - 5
    Doppelhander - 5
    Mass Weapon and Shield - 4
    Polearms - 5 (7)
    Pole-axe - 5
    Pugilism/Brawling - 3
    Rapier - 4
    Sword and Shield - 5
    Wrestling - 4

Musket - 4
    Hand Guns - 2

And her equipment-

- Maille torso armour.
    - Leather arm and leg armour. 
    - Pot helm. 
    - Arming sword. 
    - Dagger.
    - Halberd. 

I'm going to just assume that the weapons are not exceptional quality.

Blah, is the money I would have light-weight coinage, heavy-weight coinage or Imperial Standard?
    Imperial Standard. We're not using the Weyrth setting, so it can all be breezy and simple.
    Alright then.

Let's grab a couple extra things then!

- Flintlock Musket
    - Roughly, oh, ten bags of gunpowder? No, twenty. Thirty. I need thirty :V
    - Four lots of ten Musket Bullets

Which is 6g, 60s, and 200 c. I don't know what these letters mean :s

And, if possible, would I be able to buy a knife? Not like, a dagger, but a small knife.
  • edited 2011-12-18 23:41:56
    6 gold, 60 silver, 200 copper.

And sure. I'll allow you guys to have simple tools of that sort for free. Since you all have daggers, knives would be used strictly as tools and would be pretty basic to every person anyway.

Also, keep in mind that you have no holster for the halberd, but may have one for the musket. This means you must drop your halberd to use the musket (or any other weapon, really).
    Then what does the b mean :s

Because I got the bullet price wrong. It's really 28c, 8b.
    It's a "bit" as in "quarter-bits". Four of those are equivalent to one copper.

1 gold = 20 silver
    1 silver = 12 copper
    1 copper = 4 quarter-bits

So you have 960b to a g.
    Also, keep in mind that you have no holster for the halberd, but may have one for the musket. This means you must drop your halberd to use the musket (or any other weapon, really).

I understand that already :P

So, basically, I'm out 9 gold, 2 silver and 6 copper. That's cool by me!
  • No rainbow star
    Don't forget that I'm playing :D
    Then drop off a character sheet :|
  • edited 2011-12-19 00:55:42
    Better get character building, then. Kninja'd.

Between INUH, Cygan, Gelzo and yourself, that'd be four. Plenty to begin a campaign with.
    I wonder how a kninja would work...
    One particular alteration to the rules I'm going to make. I'll remind you of it in game, but here it is for reference:

Any weapon usable with the longsword proficiency (ergo, this includes single-handed swords with two edges) has a further mode of attack. This is the "mordschlag", or "death blow". To do this, you grip the sword by the blade with both hands and slam the crossguard, pommel or both into an adversary.

To move into mordschlag configuration, you must expend one die from your Combat Pool. You must do the same to move into normal grip. Mordschlag may be transitioned into or from half-sword configuration at no additional cost.

When in this configuration, your sword may no longer cut or thrust. Instead, it may use a standard bash attack as described in the rules at ST+0 damage. This bash attack deals shock equivalent to the user's ST plus their margin of success, against which armour is useless. In addition, it may use the hook maneuver.

When in this configuration, a sword has these stats:

Range: -1 step from the usual.
    ATN: 6
    DTN: 7
    Bash Damage: ST+0

Using this configuration counts as a maneuver that may be used at greatsword/longsword Proficiency 5. However, when using a sword in this configuration, you use your pole-axe, polearm or mass weapon Proficiency at your own discretion.

The point of this? This maneuver is in an expansion, The Flower Of Battle, but it's a bit limited. It's represents the bashing strike, but not the issues involved in switching hand configuration, nor the alteration to one's fighting style when using a sword in this way. Here, using the mordschlag becomes a different mode of fighting, much like half-sword. There's a very significant difference in tactical application, though.

Half-swording is all about making a killing thrust through the gaps in plate armour, or directly through maille. Mordschlag (and hooking) is about stunning or disabling an adversary in such armours. This is reflected in the game mechanics; half-swording adds +3 to damage when thrusting against maille or plate armours, whereas the maneuvers available to a sword in mordschlag configuration can drastically damage an adversary's Combat Pool, rendering them easily defeated afterwards.

While I'm at it, I'll remind you guys about some game mechanic stuff.

Everything has a TN -- a Target Number. This is the number that must be equalled or surpassed on a d10 (or a handful of d10) for something to be considered a success. There are two kinds of tests:

1. Regular tests.
    2. Opposed tests.

Regular tests are basically rolling against a skill with a number of d10 equal to the relevant attribute. You may need between 1 and 5ish successes on any given task to succeed, depending on difficulty.

Opposed tests are when your character clashes with another organism's attributes or skills. Sneaking past a guard might be an example; your TN is your Sneak skill, altered by the difficulty of the task, and you roll the relevent dice against their Perception. Whoever gets more successes wins. A more obvious example, however, is combat.

(And here we get to the point.)

Every weapon has a few TNs associated with it.

1. Attack Target Number (any combination of Cut, Thrust, Draw Cut and Bash).
    2. Defense Target Number.

The ATN is what you roll against when attacking, where your Combat Pool provides the required dice. The DTN is what the defender rolls against that. ATN is pretty straight forward, but DTN isn't so much. That's because there are two primary defenses in the game: parries (of various kinds) and evasions. A parry uses the DTN of the weapon itself, but an evasion has a fixed DTN based on the maneuver itself.

For instance, the DTN for some polearms is as high as 9, giving you a 20% change per d10 of succeeding. On the other hand, the DTN for a sword parry is usually 6 -- a 50% chance per d10. On the other hand, an evasive technique has a DTN based on which technique you're using. A full evasion, which resets combat except for damage already sustained, has a DTN of 4. A partial evasion, which aims to avoid the incoming attack but can also buy you initiative, has a DTN of 7. Duck and weave has a DTN of 9, but ensures that you take initiative in the next exchange if successful.

So with that in mind, always compare the DTN of your weapon with the DTN of the three evasive techniques -- 4, 7 and 9 respectively, as well as what each maneuver accomplishes.

TACTICS.
    what
    I'm a dagger user, so I'm probably not going to need the first bit of that :P
    Well, I'm mostly a longsword user, but I also use muskets :c

So I will be using regular slash/cut/thrusts, mordschlags, and halfswording. I will also potentially be using the poleaxe if I am facing mounted opponents. Similarly, I have a musket I can use, but it's best used when I have a tripod or some such, or I can load it beforehand and have pretty much a free shot when combat starts.

So I have to keep track of:

> My own defensive values

> My own offensive sword maneuvres

> My own current sword style and whether I need to swap

> Where my current weapons are so I can swap if needed

> Whether my musket is loaded or not

> My immediate environment

> What my enemy has at its' command

> How much cover I have from enemies

> What weapon I'm wielding so I know if I should evade or parry
    Your halberd has very long reach and high damage. In this game, outreaching your adversary counts towards your Combat Pool. So there's application against infantry as well.
  • edited 2011-12-21 01:03:21
    Well this looks awesome. I wish I could join, but I'm about as woefully clueless about swords as I am interested in them. =P