If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Riddle of Steel

Comments

• edited 2012-02-06 15:16:44
    No rainbow star

=/ I'm really having issues with coming up with anything but smithing for Passion. The backstory I decided was that his life started out rough and he was forced to steal things. One day he came across a smith and seeing him work the blades, the shields, the armour, he was inspired. Asking to apprentice under the man, he was able to stop stealing for a living. He also learned swordplay during this time, which helped out the smith with testing blades However, he still occasionally relapsed into thievery, which did put strain on the relationship with the smith.

He one day left after putting a little too much strain in order to try to improve himself, concentrating on the craft and attempting to satiate his need to steal things by trying to help those really down on their luck with it

Faith: In himself that he can eventually be able to break his need to steal or at least reign it in (so in a way, that skillset is less to help him and more to fill out his character)

Destiny: To eventually break his habit, but not before stealing something of great value that would put him in deep trouble if caught (think highly valuable jewels, a prized, high quality horse, or a very high quality and sought after metal big. If that's too valuable then I'll reduce it)

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Icalasari: Sounds like a cross between Robin Hood and a blacksmith :V

Anyway, my character.

Basically, I've been working on her background a bit, and her character.

So, here's what I have so far.

For her character, I think that she used to be a slave. (Since I used the newer character creation thingie, Race is my bottommost trait, and I think I'm a low-class commoner now, not a slave.)

She was trundled around for a few months, and she got to know some of her fellow slaves. Some of them were sold off during their travels, though; some to kind-seeming masters, some to... not-so-kindly masters.

When they looped around to a town, several months later, she got to see one of her old slave-friends again. Her friend's face was marred by a bruise, and she was looking down at the ground, as if afraid to meet anyone's eyes.

Her instinctive reaction was to try to attack the man who had bought her. You can probably guess how that went, an unarmed, malnourished slave attacking a fit man with several slaver guards nearby. She was dragged back into the caravan and beaten.

She fell into a slump of depression for a while at how cruel life could be.

About a month later, over half a year since she was captured as a slave, they arrived at the Duke's place. The Duke bought several of the slaves, seven or eight of them. He stuck the men in the Guard, and the woman in the serving quarters, and told them that he would pay them a lowly servant's wage.

In the meantime, he made sure to treat them all well, to give them no reason to want to rebel. In combination with actually earning some money, they knew that their prospects elsewhere would not look so good.

He soon began to train all the servants in the castle how to use weapons- swords, mainly, but also poleaxes, guns, bows, and axes. The castle was attacked fairly frequently, every couple of weeks, and some of the attacks were sizeable enough that relying on the guards alone to protect them would have meant the end of them all.

Bree dedicated herself to working as hard as she could, and soon enough, the Duke took notice, and  he promoted her to the head... servant-person. She was soon regularly in attendance at the Duke's court sessions, where she paid close attention to what was going on. Able to go into people's rooms without suspicion, she became an able information-gatherer. She began to use this to her advantage, slipping the Duke pieces of information in order to keep him safe.

Eventually, he took notice, and freed her from her slavery. As a lowly commoner, she had a lot more freedom, and was able to ingriate herself into the court more, no longer expected to keep to herself. She began taking note of how everyone acted, listening to their word choices, hearing how they manipulated others- and she began to apply that to her own conversations with them, manipulating them for the Duke's favour.

I haven't quite figured out why she left the Duke's employ, though :V

Basically, how this has affected her character is, she has felt how it feels to be about as low as a human can go without actually being a criminal; and she knows how good it can feel when people give them their hand to help, and just how much it can change someone's life.

This isn't to say she's infallible, though. She's perceptive, and she knows how to manipulate, but she's not a master at it. Good liars can make her do what they wish, although it's not easy.

She has dedicated herself to helping people as much as she can, in order to actually make people's lives better. She hopes that, in doing so, she can make the world a better place.

I don't know how much of that fits the setting though :V

• Has friends besides tanks now

I was about to ask what was keeping us from starting, but then I realized that it might help if I posted Elejas's backstory in more detail. I'll do that soon.

• No rainbow star
    ^ I'm waiting to see if everything is good for my character and if there is anything else I need to do

Bump because it's been a week and I haven't seen anything get done since Ica said he'd finished.

• No rainbow star
    Huh. Only been a week

Well I'm surprised
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

What do we still need to do?

I'd really like one of the two prospective RPs I'm in to get started T_T 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Ica, everything's good for your character -- now use that as a basis to come up with specific focuses for your Spiritual Attributes. Remember that these attributes empower you and are the way you level up, so if they're too general you'll be far overpowered. They should be personal factors that could bring you into conflict with other people, essentially.

Also, I'm happy to run a combat sim.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

oooh, combat sim

Is Ica around? If he could face off against Cygan, that'd be great, since both of them have a significant bias towards close combat.

>tryin' out the combat simulator

>upward swing at opponent's groin

>damage rating of 3 (surface organs destroyed)

I love this game already.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Ow...

• No rainbow star
    I'm here now
  • edited 2012-02-02 20:14:09
    Has friends besides tanks now

So, now what do we do? Do you have your Spiritual Attributes figured out/are you ready to do a combat demo against Cygan? (It might help to see it play out with updated rules; the combat simulator I downloaded, while very helpful, did not have certain abilities, derived or otherwise, listed under the statistics of the combatants, and it only accounted for 1v1)

• No rainbow star
    I can't figure them out right now as I'm on my phone (also unavailable now; Apparently something smells in my room and I need to figure out what the hell it is. I'm confused as I never smelled anything before and nobody's made a comment before, so either something recent is making that smell or people really need to start speaking up sooner so I can tackle the source before it becomes a problem)

Can we do it tomorrow then, please?

• No rainbow star
    Sure

Thank you.

• No rainbow star
    You're welcome

Gah I hate being the one holding everyone up

:/

• No rainbow star
    And >.<
    So, what's the situation at the moment, Ica?
  • No rainbow star

So if the spiritual attributes just need a new passion, then how about a passion to make up for past and future misdeeds?

So it would come into effect when he sees, say, a thief taking off with a piece of stolen jewellery?

• edited 2012-02-06 17:23:24
    Has friends besides tanks now

Technically not a passion--Passion is one of the Spiritual Attributes--but a focus. But yes, some sort of goal that can be worked towards by moderately common events. That focus should be fine, for example, but I'm just guessing, and I wouldn't take my word over Alex's, obviously.

So it would come into effect when he sees, say, a thief taking off with a piece of stolen jewellery?

Yeah, you could do that. Perhaps he uses his own thieving skills as a counter-thief from time-to-time? That might be Oath: To prevent the thievery of a blacksmith's work. 

• No rainbow star

Alright

Anything else that I need to cover?

Well, you do need to have five spiritual attributes with seven points spread between them. 

• No rainbow star

Which I did earlier, remember?

Faith: In himself that he can eventually be able to break his need to steal or at least reign it in (so in a way, that skillset is less to help him and more to fill out his character)

Destiny: To eventually break his habit, but not before stealing something of great value that would put him in deep trouble if caught (think highly valuable jewels, a prized, high quality horse, or a very high quality and sought after metal big. If that's too valuable then I'll reduce it)

These are the two that are really well-developed enough apart from the one you just described (but they're really good ones). 

Passion: Smithing swords
    Drive: To smith the best sword

These are still way too general.