If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Riddle of Steel

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It's an RPG. You don't actually have to be good with a sword to play it :P
  • True, but it's an RPG run by Alex. That adds a bit of pressure.
    Yeah, true XD
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The game might teach you a thing or two, and it doesn't have any requirement for swordknowledge.

Basically, combat works by electing three things (if attacking):

1. The target zone (head, leg, groin, whatever).
    2. The strike angle (horizontal, vertical, diagonal).
    3. The technique used (cut, thrust, Master Strike, ect.)

If defending, you simply elect your responsive technique. The dice take care of the rest.

So you might elect to throw a vertical strike at your adversary's head. In response, they might use the counter maneuver. That's all that has to happen verbally, and the rules and rolls will do the legwork.
  • Sounds good then! I'll put up some character info when I can, after I get some sleep and visit a company.
    Of course, I may elect to reward players who display sound, practical thought processes in combat... <_<
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    So, you have either four or five, depending on Gelzo. Room for one more? If not, that's fine; I'm already in two RPs, but I'd still like to figure this out once I have more time.

And if I were to play, I think I'd just be an archer instead. >_>
  • edited 2011-12-21 07:24:18
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The more the merrier. Well, to an extent. But I'm willing to take on six players, quite gladly given I know who I'm playing with.

Huh, the shape of the party is beginning to form.

- Archer (Everest)
    - Saber Swordswoman/Musketeer (Cygan)
    - Swordsman (Ica)
    - Rogueish informant (INUH)

And then whatever characters the others are playing.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Saber Swordswoman/Musketeer (Cygan)

You forgot the /Courtier

:V
  • Hmm, what kind of character does the party need? That would help a bit.
    Forget that. TRoS has a system in place where you level up by playing by your character's code of ethics, working towards their goal and so on and so forth. What's much, much more important is the character concept. It's not so much the weapon they wield and the armour they wear, but why they wield a weapon.

Furthermore, there are no classes. You combat skills are entirely separate from your non-combat skills. You could easily happen to be an academic who just happens to know how to swing a sword well, for instance, or a wilderness ranger who brings the word of God to outlying settlements while on pilgrimage himself.
  • Coolio. I was going to do a wandering knightless squire, but it seems we have plenty of swordsmen. =P

That academic idea sounded good though, so I think I'll roll a scholar who has some magical aptitude (for all the good that does in this setting) and only knows enough swordplay to defend himself, mainly relying on wit and his smaller build to avoid the enemy's attacks.

How does that idea sound?
    Er...we're doing a historical magicless setting, I think.
  • edited 2011-12-21 21:12:21
    Yeah, I kind of used "magic" loosely there =P. It'll be more like trickery based off his knowledge, I suppose, gunpowder and stuff, only appearing to be magic. Parlor tricks, in a way. I guess he's a sort of alchemist/scholar.
    Ooh, cool.
    The setting isn't exactly magicless (although it's certainly quite rare), but the magic system is too powerful for the current concept at this stage, and would make a lot of game elements redundant.
  • Never mind, actually, turns out I won't have enough time to devote to this RP. Best of luck with it!
  • edited 2011-12-21 21:56:51
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I don't know when I'll have time to get started. Probably not tomorrow, and definitely not today.

If the game reaches the point where it can start without me, by all means, go ahead, and I'll pull out.
    Or you could jump in later, and I could empower your character to match the others.

In any case, there's no way this is happening before Christmas, and there's still a bunch of stuff to do before starting:

- Finalise characters.
    - Discuss what your expectations are as players.
    - Discuss what my expectations are as GM.
    - Find a mutually-agreeable timeslot.
    - Find/make a chatroom with dice rolls.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    #yackfest-rp has Feepbot, who has an inbuilt dice roller.
  • edited 2011-12-21 22:11:10
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Oh, hey, #yackfest-rp. Like half my actual roleplaying experience is from there. Good times.
    That would work just fine. We'd have to schedule around other groups, though.
    True...is anyone using it now?
    I dont think anyone uses it like, ever
    - Finalise characters.
    - Discuss what your expectations are as players.

Let's do this :V
    Indeed.

What do you mean about finalizing then? :V
    Working out the kinks and fine details an stuff. For instance, if I recall, you've got to elect some focuses for a couple of spiritual attributes.

Also, most participants haven't posted character sheets yet.

Well, as I'm on Nan's computer and not my laptop, I don't have the books and such on hand :V
    So, guys.

Bump.