If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I kinda want to ask if anyone's interested in a D&D game

edited 2011-07-25 14:21:45 in Roleplaying
Has friends besides tanks now
Since we've started liveblogs and everything, I figure other methods of entertainment aren't out of the question. But I'm not sure how many experienced players I could get here, considering how few regulars we have in the first place, and I'm not sure I trust an online game to hold out after what happened with the one I ran and the other two I participated in. Plus I don't know if I want to DM.

I would consider heading to Giant in the Playground or something, but I think a game with people I know already would be more fun, and I don't know if I have the time to commit to another forum.

All I know is that I want it to happen, but I know already that it probably won't happen, so I'm a sad panda. And that just bugs me.

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I'd have happily said yes, but I've never played before so :(
  • I'd have happily said yes, but I'm bad at it since I played before so :(
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I might be interested.  I've been interested in playing D&D for a while, but I haven't had the opportunity, as my friends aren't into it.
  • I would not mind playing but I don't have the books.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:26:40
    Well, part of the problem is that I would prefer experienced players, as I was thinking of starting a level 6 gestalt campaign (that might be altered to some degree as time goes on). Though I could certainly accommodate newer players, as long as they stick to the schedule and learn quickly, and hopefully some others (like INUH, Cygan, and/or funnyguts, if they see this) could help.

(I'm not all that experienced myself. o.o)

^ Would PDFs, acquired through Perfectly Legal Means, suffice?
  • Which edition would you like to play, so I could spend some time getting my self up to speed after I acquire the books needed before the campaign actually starts.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I was thinking 3.5. For all its balance issues, I like the mechanics more than those of 4e.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:30:42
    Cue-bey
    >inexperienced DM doing any noncore stuff

also lol4e wait
  • Just the core 3.5 books right.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:34:05
    ^ Uh . . . hmm. I had yet to decide if I was staying core or not.

^^ I've DMed for well over a year; it's just that it wasn't all 3.5e, and I've never raised a group past level 8 in that. But I've looked at optimization stuff and have a decent idea of how to run such a game, or if I'm feeling insecure, I could do more research.

And besides, I was hoping someone else would at least share the duties, hence why I was even less sure if this could happen.
  • Ah, okay. So not actually inexperienced.

I can't say I'd really have that sort of time commitment, or that I'd even be interested in actually playing D&D.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:45:23
    @IanExMachina: If you want to play, that's fine. There should be people who can help, as long as you're willing to learn. It would just be easier with more experienced people, but this campaign is already asking a lot.

@Counterclock: Did you play with a group besides the Jammies group? If you were referring to that, you didn't actually play, so you might have been good at it for all I know. In any case, if you would have happily said yes, don't let inexperience get in your way.
  • I'm interested.

Quick line of question.

1. Can you play as a Cat.

2. Can you play alongside a cat?

3. Can your cat play alongside you?

4. If given the choice to decide your morality, can you opt out of this question as you don't want to streamline your character to a vague set of moral choices?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Would this be over Skype or some other program?
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:44:48
    ^^ 1. Some DMs would allow it, but unless the DM severely altered the flavor of some other class, a house cat would be impractical.

2/3. Yes. Druids and rangers can take animal companions, and sorcerers and wizards get familiars.

4. Depending on your class, I could downplay your character's placement on the alignment axis.

^ The games would likely be played through an IRC channel. Preferably one with feepbot.
  • On 4. It's not that I don't mind the alignment axis, and I would plan consistent logical reasons for everything my character does, but's it's not really something I understand that much to be able to match it to my character.

What I'm saying is, you can call my character (Alignment B) and I wouldn't mind, just I don't think I could use it.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Though I could certainly accommodate newer players, as long as they stick to the schedule and learn quickly, and hopefully some others (like INUH, Cygan, and/or funnyguts, if they see this) could help.

You could always go PbP.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:47:09
    Okay. But keep in mind that your alignment doesn't define you; your actions define your alignment, so it's up to the DM, in part, to decide which is the most fitting.

^ Hm. That I could. The only trick would be getting all the players online at once in fights and stuff.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    PbP does move slowly.

Here's where I couldn't really be a player, due to timezones. But... A fight shouldn't take overly long, if you don't start everyone at Level 1.
    Ah yeah timezones, I withdraw then as most of you guys are US :(
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:51:49
    Luckily I wasn't planning on it.

Truth be told, I already had a character concept in the works, which is why I was hoping not to be the DM, or at least not the only one. >_>

For as often as I get saddled with DMing duties, I much prefer being a player.

@IanExMachina: Aw. Damn. Well, you're online right now. How long are you going to be on from here, do you think? If that is a sufficient amount of time, a battle could be finished, even while you're looking at other threads, for all I care. And once that's done, you can get back to other business and reply on your own time.

Assuming we do PbP.
  • But Ian, don't cower, embrace the game!

Besides, you'd make the best character of all XD
    >Paedofinder Player Character

DO WANT.
    Well, I would like to participate, but if you'd rather not have to deal with new players (I have at least read the Player's Handbook) that's alright.
    I don't mind new players, actually, for reasons stated above. I changed my mind from the OP.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:56:28
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Thing is I can't maintain this sleep pattern for ever.
    4amish? Not gonna be on herr for very long now.
  • You can change. You can.
    I just came here to say that if Ian doesn't make a Cleric based around the Paedofinder, then I'd be very depressed.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:57:42
    ^^ Ooh. Yeah, this time of night (my night, your morning) might not be ideal for something requiring everyone. But would your 12 (my 5) work?
    It would till september.
    Well, I would like to participate, but if you'd rather not have to deal with new players (I have at least read the Player's Handbook) that's alright.

I can help you out here, actually. More experienced now although it's been a month or so.

@Everest Have you thought of making a short, like, short, PbP campaign to see how it would work?