If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?

Comments

• edited 2011-07-13 02:29:05
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    What, so I can shit on the carpet?

This just keeps getting better.

EDIT: Bahahaha, I love being pagetopper. :D
  • Obviously, Humans know better than to pee on the carpet Chagen (most are taught to know this)

but Humans don't know everything, and there are apparently limitations to what a person can learn.

You yourself were complaining earlier about the flat-earth society, So don't come in with that whole "Humans DO know better" shtick when it's pretty obvious there are limits to what some people can/are willing to learn.
  • "You yourself were complaining earlier about the flat-earth society, So don't come in with that whole "Humans DO know better" shtick when it's pretty obvious there are limits to what some people can/are willing to learn."

Okay.

Sane humans know better.

"but Humans don't know everything, and there are apparently limitations to what a person can learn."

Not in my opinion. We shall one day know everything, and have the glorious cosmos under our control. It is our god-given destiny to spread fron galaxy to galaxy, till the whole universe be ours.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    We'll never know everything, because knowledge just continues to beg questions.
  • We're dealing with advanced technology, there will be things no human knows about.

Anyhow, why is this important?
  • We may not know everything, but we'll be damn close.
  • And in this hypothetical situation, The aliens are closer than us.
  • edited 2011-07-13 02:34:47
    You can change. You can.
    ^^^Because derail.
  • edited 2011-07-13 02:39:26
    I mean in the context of the derail, I don't know what humans knowing or not knowing better than to shit on the quantum carpet is supposed to get at.
  • You can change. You can.
    Because the new derail is whether humans would shit on the carpet of an alien. :P
  • Quite a few people think that being treated like a pet means to be abused and tortured.

I'm trying to argue that in this hypothetical situation, the intelligent creatures wouldn't do this because they know and accept the flaws of humans and accept the limitations of a humans knowledge.

K?
  • edited 2011-07-13 02:43:53
    [tɕagɛn]
    I'm not even sure I'm useful to this debate.

The very situation the OP describes disturbs me so deeply to the core, I can't make any non-biased judgements on it.

It repulses me. It offends every single one of my sensibilities. Reading about it disturbs me so much that my very existence feels threatened by it. I am so....so....aghast at it I can view it with anymore than utter contempt.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^ it's not real, for fucks sake. fucking deal with it.

It's been 7 fucking pages already.
    Don't bring reason into this, Vorps. It's been way funner this way.

Wait, not it hasn't
  • edited 2011-07-13 02:50:30
    Belief
    Who needs reason when you have EMOTIONS juan?

• edited 2011-07-13 02:51:16
    ^^^^^ I was referring to Chagen's post, yours was clear about it. Regardless, the derail is getting annoying, let's just drop it.

^^^^ Ok.
    > Emotions.

Ugh. 
  • I think I may just formally bow out of this before I bust a vein in my head.

Let it be known that I still find the idea to be godless anathema.
  • You find the idea of being treated well under the care of a superior being to be horrible, but then turn right around and say that it's a "God-given Right" that humans should go on and enslave everything in sight without any clue, or visible sign that you understand the irony in that.

Chagen, We understand you don't like it, but if that truly is the case, then this thread isn't for you.
  • Why did everyone start talking about shitting on carpets?  That's gross.

I liked it better when it was just about peeing on carpets instead.
  • For me, it depends what they look like. I wouldn't feel comfortable being lorded over by rubber forehead aliens. But if they were radically different to us. Then why not?

Also, Chagen, just shut the fuck up. Slavery is bad unless humans are doing it? Wut?
  • edited 2011-07-13 07:07:40
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "Why did everyone start talking about shitting on carpets?  That's gross.

I liked it better when it was just about peeing on carpets instead."

I know, right? Well, in the hopes that I also get a female playmate . . . I wouldn't pee on the carpet myself. >.>

I don't really know if i can add much more to the discussion.
    I wonder how our hypothetical owners would treat us?

Like, could we just lie down with them and expect a scratch behind the ears? Would they get annoyed if we just ended sleeping wherever? Would they dress us up in dumb clothes?
  • No rainbow star
    I can't get the thought of giantess cat girl aliens who are sexually interested in humans out of my head...

Great, I'm among the ranks of dogs humping legs now D:
    Man, who cares. Giantess (say, seven or eight feet tall?) cat girl aliens sound like good times to me. :D
  • Quite a few people think that being treated like a pet means to be abused and tortured.

I'm
    trying to argue that in this hypothetical situation, the intelligent
    creatures wouldn't do this because they know and accept the flaws of
    humans and accept the limitations of a humans knowledge.

K?

A given owner might not want to do so, but thing is, they still can. And that is very, very scary.

Anyway, for this one the main trouble is that she cannot imagine (not saying that it is impossible. Only that this one cannot think of it) a being that is as intellectually superior to human as human is to cat. Whatever she tries to think of, she can't help but treat as "exceptionally smart human" - and very few people could look at the idea of more intelligent humans keeping less intelligent ones as pets favourably, no matter for "benevolent" it might seem. For difference to be so high as to make such things acceptable, the difference should be not just quantitative, but qualitative. Which is very difficult to imagine.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I think it would be fascinating and I'd happily be a pet.
    Especially if we were allowed to meet other pets socially, it would be great to study how us humans act and interact in such circumstance.

I'd also ideally like to get some alien sociology going down, but if I can't comprehend them then it probably wouldn't work.
    Well it depends on how much of a say I have as a pet. I always respect my platies and mollies and listen to what they have to say, whether it be changing the temperature, taking orders on getting bloodworms for snacks or turning the air pump off so they can relax. The swordtail got kind of wacked out after being alone for so long, so I talk to him and pay special need to him since he was FOREVER ALONE for 2 years while I was in North Dakota, in a pool of shit and algae all by himself, eating the other fish that died off.

Mom forgot I had fish when I left, and never changed the water or fed them. :(
  • "Also, Chagen, just shut the fuck up. Slavery is bad unless humans are doing it? Wut."

Thank you strawmanning my argument.
    It wasn't a strawman chagen if you actually said that. He just made a counterstatement against it.
This discussion has been closed.