If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?

Comments

• Fuck, this thread is moving too fast.

Chagen, why would you want to be violent towards another intelligent species? Why do you arbitrarily decide that humans must be best in all cases?
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:48:56
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^^^

Really... so humans are special?
  • "Chagen, why would you want to be violent towards another intelligent species? Why do you arbitrarily decide that humans must be best in all cases?"

Anything that tries to control me and make me their pet is gonna meet a little human invention we call the Double-Barelled Shotgun.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:51:12
    Belief
    But if a species that did have superior intelligence then us really did exist, It must've been created by God, and thus, God would want us to serve these greater beings, Would he not Chagen?
  • No. Because God does not lead his children into slavery.

Though who try to control me will be met with resistance till I die.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:54:22
    Pony Sleuth
    I wonder why you're so violently opposed to this idea when you believe in god. Again, How is a god any different from what we're talking about in terms of dignity and freedom?

What if you were commanded by God to do something?
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:54:29
    till I die.

Which, considering they're a species more intelligent than humans and have technology that apparently makes it possible for them to reach humans... will probably be very quickly... >.>

Not that this really has anything to do with the thread.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:53:51
    @Chagen
    Well I'm pretty sure in Judaism the animals are there to be used by the humans (or something similar?) so why not us being used by those who are clearly superior.?
  • He doesn't really seem to mind his children making members of their own species slaves for a while...
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Things to consider:

• How superior are we talking here?
    • How nice are they?
    • How lowly will we be thought of?
    • Can we relate to them?
    • What sort of relationship will it be?
    That said, I might be inclined to say yes, if only temporarily.
  • edited 2011-07-12 21:57:39
    Belief
    Why only temporarily.

Dogs get walks and work-outs.

They get brought to dog-parks to social with the other dogs.

They get doors to leave and see the world on their own.

They get human medicine that they would not be able to recreate on their own.

• Imagine a fish tank.

Now imagine instead of plastic ornaments and shiny pebbles, there's luxurious furniture and a highly advanced wii.

Hell yeah!
  • "Well I'm pretty sure in Judaism the animals are there to be used by the humans (or something similar?) so why not us being used by those who are clearly superior.?"

Because we are free. We are sapient. To give that up is the height of insanity.

"Which, considering they're a species more intelligent than humans and have technology that apparently makes it possible for them to reach humans... will probably be very quickly... >.>"

Then I will kill myself.

Better to die than be killed.

"I wonder why you're so violently opposed to this idea when you believe in god. Again, How is a god any different from what we're talking about in terms of dignity and freedom?"

Once again, God is far above humanity, or any other possible living species.
  • And better to live a good life than be killed.
  • edited 2011-07-12 22:01:01
    [tɕagɛn]
    "Imagine a fish tank.

Now imagine instead of plastic ornaments and shiny pebbles, there's luxurious furniture and a highly advanced wii.

Hell yeah!
    "

You are still a slave. Luxuries cannot make up for your loss of freedom.

This topic scares me. The fact that you people would readily give up the freedom promised to us by God is horrendously disturbing.

"And better to live a good life than be killed.
    "

Slavery, by definition, is not a good life.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    "Now imagine instead of plastic ornaments and shiny pebbles, there's luxurious furniture and a highly advanced wii.

Hell yeah!"

Well, when you put it that way...
  • edited 2011-07-12 22:02:34
    Pony Sleuth
    ^^^^1. How would you know?

2. What if it was God's will to serve this species?

You're talking in absolutes without justifying your position. I'm not saying the position is invalid, you just need to have reasoning behind it.
  • edited 2011-07-12 22:01:55
    Because we are free. We are sapient. To give that up is the height of insanity.

Again, I don't see why.  You could argue (though, yes, I know you could also argue otherwise...) that having any sort of government requires you to give up your freedom, at least to some degree, and most people wouldn't object to that since the benefits outweigh the loss of freedom.

EDIT: Also, what the hell am I doing posting in this thread?  Oh well...
  • I wonder what the intelligent species would think of us, Hmmm...

• edited 2011-07-12 22:02:19
    @Chagen
    They'd probably let you own gun ors cars or w/e you crazy texans/US people want?
    (Although we are talking advanced intelligence so I doubt it on the gun ownership one :D)
  • "Again, I don't see why.  You could argue (though, yes, I know you could also argue otherwise...) that having any sort of government requires you to give up your freedom, at least to some degree, and most people wouldn't object to that since the benefits outweigh the loss of freedom."

A government does not look upon its citizens as mere playtoys to entertain them.

"2. What if it was God's will to serve this species?"

Then God can go fuck himself.
  • edited 2011-07-12 22:03:52
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^ With their better-than-human magical powers, they wouldn't need guns anyway. They'd have something better. :P

I can't say I'd mind being a pet, either; less responsibility, someone else does my thinking for me, and I would probably get luxuries, assuming I wasn't bought by an abusive asshat.
  • They might let us own guns, Kind of like how a Dog owns a Frisbee XD.
  • "@Chagen
    They'd probably let you own gun ors cars or w/e you crazy texans/US people want?
    (Although we are talking advanced intelligence so I doubt it on the gun ownership one :D)
    "

You still are being owned.

I don't know why you people fail to realize this.
  • Seriously.

What the fuck is wrong with you people.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Chagen, they (and I) know. We just don't give a shit.
  • A government does not look upon its citizens as mere playtoys to entertain them.

I don't think their attitude should particularly matter.  In practice, yes I would say I wouldn't want to enter into such an agreement with someone if they're only using me for entertainment, but that's mostly because of practical concerns like whether or not they'd eventually get bored of me, etc.  From how I interpreted the OP, that shouldn't matter in this hypothetical scenario.
  • "Then God can go fuck himself."

Interesting, so you would claim to have a better sense of moral judgement than God in this case. Or at the very least, your trust in God is conditional on not being asked to do what you feel is degrading.
  • Aside from some missing freedom, would you like to point out the flaws which supposedly out-weigh the benefits of this?
  • edited 2011-07-12 22:10:06
    [tɕagɛn]
    You're being owned.

That's the only flaw I need to list.

There are no benefits to slavery.

If an advanced alien race did try to control us, then I will join the inevitable resistence faction.

Blood will run.

Blood. Will. Fucking. Run.
This discussion has been closed.