If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?

Comments

• Oooh. If you consider that a lot of humans are too proud to become 'pets' (or have an alien patron, depends on how you look at it), and that lots of people do better when they have to work for things, I think the 'pets' would be in the minority. And I could see them getting bashed by the proud humans like Chagen.

...this would make an interesting story.
  • This one would not mind having a patron, by the way. This one might even be glad. But it is not quite the same as being a pet. Pet cannot end the relationship nor has a say in it.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Isn't Three Worlds Collide about this?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    This one would not mind having a patron, by the way. This one might even be glad. But it is not quite the same as being a pet. Pet cannot end the relationship nor has a say in it.
  • Well, I'd hope they'd give us a choice and let us end the relationship if we wanted to...so patron is a better word.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    In that case, you are not a pet.
  • But if the argument is that sapient 'pets' would be treated far differently then non-sapient pets, then were we even talking about pets in the first place?
  • "But if the argument is that sapient 'pets' would be treated far differently then non-sapient pets, then were we even talking about pets in the first place?"

"Pet" is the closest concept/word English has to what we are talking about.

Never mind that it has dehumanizing connotations.
    But if the argument is that sapient 'pets' would be treated far differently then non-sapient pets, then were we even talking about pets in the first place?

Perhaps not.
  • But we wouldn't really be pets, and they wouldn't really be owners. It'd be something between them being owners and patrons, with us entering into a contract to spent X number of years in their house under their care, them providing for us, us being able to go out on our own a certain number of hours a week, etc, with a clause that we can end the relationship if abuse occurs.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I'd prefer having a patron as well, I've always wanted to live in a world where my fellows and upperclassmen are way more intelligent than me.
  • edited 2011-07-13 12:39:07
    [tɕagɛn]
    "I'd prefer having a patron as well, I've always wanted to live in a world where my fellows and upperclassmen are way more intelligent than me."

Why? I could not imagine living in a world with people far better than me.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Guess those children in Africa don't deserve to live, then. 
  • How does my personal subjective opinion have to do with them?

I'm not forcing it upon the world, it's my personal opinion.
  • It's funny how many people are agreeing with just change of a single term ~_~

no offense to any of you.
  • Guess those children in Africa don't deserve to live, then.

Umm, I'm sorry, what was this about? Nothing of what's been said implied anything like that.

It's funny how many people are agreeing with just change of a single term ~_~

no offense to any of you.

Not just the term. There are certain conditions placed which are not in place when speaking about pets. There terms do mean different things.
    If someone calls me a pet, and I do as much work in the relationship as a pet, I wouldn't really.care.
  • Well, I mean no offense because it seems like none of you would be good pet owners...

just looking at the way you define the meaning of the term is horrible, and I can see why, in your cases. you wouldn't like it...
  • I loved Tiny Cat, dammit! >:|
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >I could not imagine living in a world with people far better than me.
    So... real life, how's that working out?

Joking aside.
    Also it would depend on the morality of the aliens, as I'm think blue and orange morality might come into play as they are a totally unique cultural/race.
  • Well, I mean no offense because it seems like none of you would be good pet owners...

just
    looking at the way you define the meaning of the term is horrible, and I
    can see why, in your cases. you wouldn't like it...

What is so horrible in this one's way of defining it?
    I was a good pet owner...but then, my dog died, of old age.
  • It would depend on what my perception of the alternative was.

I would rather be a pet than die.  After all, you can die anytime, but you can only live before you die.

I would rather live an unremarkable life in freedom than be a pet, however.

• So many variables as to make speculation on the subject useless without a rigidly defined scenario. And even then I wouldn't know if I could hold true to my words unless such a farfetched scenario actually happened in meatspace.
  • Hey guys, what if we're ALREADY pets to a very powerful and very intelligent race of creatures? What if the CATS own US?!
  • This thread is less fun than I anticipated. I think I've read less than half of it.

You can guess who I blame for that.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Jeez, Gelzo, fine. I'm sorry. 
  • edited 2011-07-13 14:17:53
    Pony Sleuth
    Apology accepted.

Heh, now I feel petty for bringing it up. You're not so bad, really.

(Oh god, I missed this gem. "Why? I could not imagine living in a world with people far better than me." *snerk*)
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Guess those children in Africa don't deserve to live, then.

They have been starving to death for how many years now? 70? How come they aren't extinct yet? I mean, like if they ARE starving and die before their 11th birthday (according to the charities), how are new ones being born every year?

also

HOW TO DEAL WITH SAPIENT PETS PT. 1

1. Understand it's language
    2. Take care of it.
    3. Make sure to not get a feral pet (aka, anarchistic humanized human, but pet humans, like the ones from human trafficking farms, except they aren't raised to sexually pleasure people and are raised to be domesticated pets)
    4. Understand the wants and needs of you pet. If it gets too difficult to handle, put it up for adoption or put it to sleep.
    5. Clean up it's poop, and spay/neuter it so it doesn't make offspring with your other pet humans.
  • edited 2011-07-13 22:03:37
    @Chagen: I have some news for you. An Opinion is NOT some kind of sacred, unassailable thing. Opinions, like the people that hold them are often fucking stupid or just plain wrong. Stop prancing around acting like nobody has any right to call you out on your bullshit "Because it's your opinion". 

As for the topic of the thread, can my Time Lord owner/patron be Matt Smith instead of David Tennant?

Really though, as long as I liked my owner/master/patron/whatever I would be just fine with it. If they're hypersapient and I'm not that means by definition they know better than me. It'd basically be a more personalised version of being taken care of by one of the AI's in the Orion's Arm universe and I am totally okay with that.

@Chagen again: If this situation was real, do you know what my response to you would be? Beating the ever loving shit out of you for trying to hurt my Master. 

@Vorpy: Hence why gay pets like me would be very popular. No need for neutering. 
This discussion has been closed.