If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would you be okay with being the pet of a member of a species with superior intelligence?

Comments

• Thread-skipping to the end.

Someone pointed out to me that if the criteria was intellegent, as in they're more intellegent, it's not much different from someone keeping a mentally retarded human as a pet...which wouldn't be cool with me at all.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    @Vorpy: I think you meant to cite this post.
  • Except that's not what I said.

What I said is that it's our god-given right to be on top on the galactic food chain.

The fact that you cannot even support your own species is disturbing.
  • edited 2011-07-13 11:42:57
    Belief
    @Katrika: Oh wait, nvm, you're still stuck on the "Being treated as a pet is horrible Mentality"

^You still said enslaved everything else, and last I checked, Slavery is slavery.
  • ": Oh wait, nvm, you're still stuck on the "Being treated as a pet is horrible Mentality""

It is when you're a sentient being that knows you're a pet.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >What I said is that it's our god-given right to be on top on the galactic food chain.

Really Chagen, really?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Hey guys what's u

-reads thread-

• "Really Chagen, really?"

I have my opinion.

But apparently it's a heinous crime to hold a different opinion.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Hey, Chagen, this isn't about an entire race of Ur-Quan Kzer-za enslaving us and using us to relay translations to inferior beings or sticking metal probes up our ass or feeding us freeze-dried flake food like you are imagining, or the Ideifour Locusts from Independence Day capturing us and using their technology to torture us and keep us as death pets, or WotW Tripod aliens capturing you with their machines and keeping us in cages, and then sucking all of our guts out and spewing them all other the ground. This is not concerning the entirety of humanity, or any Us vs. Aliens science fiction story. I have no idea how this derail consisted for so long, except by you and your endless one-sided bitchfest.

It's about YOU, whether YOU would allow a completely subjective and non-specified race of species to keep YOU as a pet.

YOU.

YOU.

You.

AKA, YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

YOU.

There, now maybe you would get the fucking point already and cease with this fucktarded campaign?

I would be fine with being owned as a pet, if it meant that I didn't have to pay for anything anymore. Getting internet, clothing, food and toys for free as a trade off for being a pet of a different race wouldn't be so bad.

Since they have superior intelligence, I doubt they would not know how to communicate with me.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I don't like the idea of having my free will stripped from me.

I can imagine, say, someone providing for me, giving me a roof over my head, etc, in return for playing with me.

But I like the notion of being able to stand up, walk outside and never having to go back too much to enjoy the idea of ever being a pet.

Just my opinion.
  • edited 2011-07-13 11:48:29
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

No, I was commenting on how crazy that sounds.
    If there is a god, he created everything, why not other more advanced aliens as well, why should we be de facto galactic heirs?

Also you've already stated if god said otherwise you'd kill yourself/rebel against him, so god given just seems to mean 'what I agree with/want'. in this case.
  • "It's about YOU, whether YOU would allow a completely subjective and non-specified race of species to keep YOU as a pet."

Okay.

Then I say "no".
  • So anyways, back on topic:

"A given owner might not want to do so, but thing is, they still can. And that is very, very scary."

Yes, you're right, an owner can do this, but from as far I can tell, increasing in intelligence hasn't increased a species chances to violently kill something for no reason.

"Anyway, for this one the main trouble is that she cannot imagine (not
    saying that it is impossible. Only that this one cannot think of it) a
    being that is as intellectually superior to human as human is to cat."

That's alright, at least you're presenting your counter-argument from a rational standpoint, :)
    "Really Chagen, really?"

I have my opinion.

But apparently it's a heinous crime to hold a different opinion.

Chagen has unlocked the Achievement "Opinion Denied!" for using the same opinion-aggressing argument over 20 times in one life. Click here to see Chagen's other Achievements.
  • Counterclock: No, I'm of the 'my older sister is severely mentally retarded and having someone condenscend to her by making her eat out of a pet bowl and find her antics 'amusing' would severely piss me off' mentality.

It's more a matter of respect. I'm sure the hypothetical aliens would pamper us, and I'd be damn tempted to go along with it and be able to spend my days in luxury. But the issues are probably deeper then that. I'm not saying humans are the best thing ever, because that's damn self centered.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Yes, you're right, an owner can do this, but from as far I can tell, increasing in intelligence hasn't increased a species chances to violently kill something for no reason. 

It does not necessarily decrease it, either, and look at how many humans mistreat their pets >_>
  • "Anyway, for this one the main trouble is that she cannot imagine (not
    saying that it is impossible. Only that this one cannot think of it) a
    being that is as intellectually superior to human as human is to cat."

You know, other people are getting my argument across much better...
  • edited 2011-07-13 11:55:23
    Belief
    ^^^

The reason that pets eat out of pet bowls is because they can't eat at the dinner table, they literally can not do that, Mentally speaking.

You're still of the mentality that they these aliens would treat us as how we treat pets currently,

which doesn't even fit with the Criteria in the Op.

"It does not necessarily decrease it, either, and look at how many humans mistreat their pets >_>"

Name one animal that's become more violent due to increased intelligence (and before you say Humans or (insert intelligent species here, I want you to prove they were less barbaric when they were still in caves and huts)

as for Humans mistreating their pets, well, considering the OP's criteria is a Benevolent race that's higher on the IQ scale then us, I would hope* that they're a little better than that :p
  • Counterclock: No, I think the aliens would treat us quite well, pampering us and providing for our every need. I think that we wouldn't be slaves, because we wouldn't be forced to work.

They still wouldn't respect us, and if someone didn't respect my older sister because she can't even talk, and treated her as subhuman, I'd be angry, so I wouldn't like the idea of another species treating us like...toddlers because we're not quite AS sapient as them.
    I don't have a superiority complex so I am fine with something more sapient than me keeping me as a pet.
  • "They still wouldn't respect us, and if someone didn't respect my older sister because she can't even talk, and treated her as subhuman, I'd be angry, so I wouldn't like the idea of another species treating us like...toddlers because we're not quite AS sapient as them."

"You know, other people are getting my argument across much better..."
  • edited 2011-07-13 11:59:03
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Name one animal that's become more violent due to increased intelligence (and before you say Humans or (insert intelligent species here, I want you to prove they were less barbaric when they were still in caves and huts)

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that while it does not necessarily increase their propensity to violence, nor does it decrease the propensity.
  • It's not impossible to respect your pets while being fully aware of their mental limitations.

All this talk about disrespecting pets makes me wonder how many pet-owners there actually are in this thread.

• I'm not saying humans would be superior. We wouldn't, on a level of pure intellegence, and they might be more emotionally and mentally mature, as well.

But the gist of it is that humans CAN take care of ourselves (even if quite a few times we choose NOT to), so we don't need to be plopped into the galactic playpen.

Also, what is with this more sapient bullshit? I'm pretty sure you're either sapient or not. You probably mean more intellegent or advanced, which is a good point, but just because something had more raw intellegence then humans, it doesn't mean they're better. Very very smart beings can still be petty bastards.
  • "But the gist of it is that humans CAN take care of ourselves"

Animals have been able to care for themselves for thousands of years before we took any of them as pets.
    Animals as a whole. It's a lot more difficult for common housepets (Goldfish, rabbits, guinea pigs) to take care of themselves on an individual level.
  • Counterclock. The issues here is completely different. Animals are not sapient. There is a difference between a sapient being keeping a nonsapient being as a pet, and a sapient being keeping a sapient being as a pet. There is also no such thing as being double sapient, because it's something you either have or you don't.
  • edited 2011-07-13 12:11:38
    Belief
    Some pets probably can't take care of themselves, that's true, but mostly due to the fact that they've been pets for quite a while, -training video of zoo-keepers helping animals back into the wild-

Domestication is probably the only thing to worry about in this situation, but truth is, no one has brought it up because "Omg, being treated like a pet is slavery"

~shrug~

^ All I'm saying is, if you really think that pets are treated horribly, they aren't

You have it in your mind though, that sapient pets would be treated the same as non-sapient pets, This isn't true.

The whole discussion(aside from Chagen) is how sapient-pets would be handled.
  • Ah, I guess you're talking on a cultural level of treating them, not just the physical level.

...well, I wouldn't like to be CALLED a pet, but if sapient-pets would be treated differently, why even call them that? I suppose I wouldn't mind having an alien be my patron, for example.

On another level, some people enjoy life more when they're not pampered and have to work for things, so not everyone would want to have a patron providing for their every need.
  • Yes, you're right, an owner can do this, but from as far I can tell,
    increasing in intelligence hasn't increased a species chances to
    violently kill something for no reason.

True. But, as been said above, it does not increase it either. But for thins one, an actual likelihood of it happening is not that relevant. It's being permitted to do so that bothers this one.

This one would be very uncomfortable to learn that some person - say, a neighbour next door - has a legal right to kill her whenever he wishes with no consequences. Even though this one has no reason to suspect that said neighbour has any inclination to do so. Would anyone here be willing to give this one a power to do whatever she wishes to them? Even though this one does not show too many violent tendencies (or at least she hopes so)?

as
    for Humans mistreating their pets, well, considering the OP's criteria
    is a Benevolent race that's higher on the IQ scale then us, I would
    hope* that they're a little better than that :p

Thing is, benevolence is unlikely to be understood correctly if intelligence levels are different enough for it to work at all. Something done "for this one's own good" might be against this one's preference.  Note that it still might be a right thing to do, but it would not be something...easy to accept, on personal level. This one's pet snail does not particularly like being removed from it's container, but this one ignores it's preference. However, if this one meets a human doing something this one perceives as self-destructive, or merely thinks she has a better idea about just what would improve the human's life, she is not about to ignore their own preference.

Again, objectively speaking, it might be that whatever that benevolent race is doing is right, but in this one's opinion, they would be wrong about that. But as a pet, this one would have no say in it as pet's preference can be ignored. Right or wrong, it would be rather distressing experience for this one.
This discussion has been closed.