If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Firefox has a way of being nice like that.

• Something well and truly is bugging me right now and I hope my question doesn't get lost in the shuffle...

Is there a technical name for when a word or phrase blends into another one to form something that still flows pretty well? And could be taken apart in two ways? The main and only example I can think of right now is the band Camper Van Beethoven, which is either "Camper Van" with "Beethoven" stuck on the end or Beethoven's actual name with "Ludwig" replaced by "Camper". 

Is there even a name for that? And is there some other really obvious example of it that I'm forgetting?

• Definitely not gay.

Is it considered acceptable to doublepost in image threads?

• I'm a damn twisted person

Listen to your heart. It will tell you the correct path.

• I don't think anybody here has ever expressed a dislike for doubleposts even in non-imagedump threads.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I just realized that if Benedict had retired a year earlier, all this new Pope fuzz would have happened while I was in Rome. Fug :DD
  • edited 2013-03-13 14:33:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

how do you "fug" at the same time as ":DD"

is this because spurdo sparde permanently :D

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Yes :DDD

No matter what, just keep smiling's :DDDD

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

ebin :-DDDDDD

• You can change. You can.

If you ever feel like you’re a massive fuck up, just remember that Tarantino took six years of acting and he gave us this

• So it seems I won't be able to vote this time yet again, over a bureaucratic issue only recently fixed. This is disheartening.

• Is there a technical name for when a word or phrase blends into another one to form something that still flows pretty well? And could be taken apart in two ways? The main and only example I can think of right now is the band Camper Van Beethoven, which is either "Camper Van" with "Beethoven" stuck on the end or Beethoven's actual name with "Ludwig" replaced by "Camper".

Is there even a name for that? And is there some other really obvious example of it that I'm forgetting?

I immediately thought of Wheel of Fortune's "Before & After" puzzles. Nonsensical things like "COMMUNIST PARTY ROCK ANTHEM".

Yeah, I know, this doesn't answer your question, but...I dunno, I'm bored.

• edited 2013-03-13 19:57:59

THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING OF!!! Yeah but really, I knew I'd seen something like that before somewhere, and Wheel of Fortune is that somewhere.

I asked a linguist friend and she said something about compound nouns or and proper nouns.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Transcribing a 30-minutes long interview (with a fairly inarticulate interviewee) and compressing it into this is some really difficult stuff.

• edited 2013-03-13 22:20:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I call them before-and-afters.

----

I am so unprepared for my presentation tomorrow.

So I just went through my content, and realized that I need to properly define my "objective" (it's for a class basically on policy negotiation and implementation).

I have less than a day left.

> buy 1 get 1 free sandals

can I buy one shoe and get the other free?

• But you never had any to begin with.

• No rainbow star
    That guy screams Troll to me
  • edited 2013-03-14 10:16:16
    But you never had any to begin with.

If he's a troll, he's one of the most persistent trolls ever. He's been doing this for over a decade, after all. And is a WND columnist.

• edited 2013-03-14 10:16:23
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Exactly. He hasn't been quite this horrific until now, but he's been straddling the line for a very long time.

• edited 2013-03-14 10:53:47
    Diet NEET

The more absurd a person, the more likely they're completely serious.

http://manboobz.com/2013/02/24/vox-day-women-working-is-worse-than-rape/

An MSTKing of the article, since you're no doubt curious as to what brand of moon logic the guy uses. It's roughly this:

moolah losses: (breakdown of marriages*broken gender roles)+(missed tax revenue*unborn cracker rape babbies bred)+(revenue*jobs stolen*darkies bred)>(tax dollars spend on victim care+prosecution+cost of workforce assets due to trauma*number of rapes)+benefits of workforce specialization due to breakdown of gender roles missed

Look guise, I can into economy!

• No rainbow star
    "c) doing so significantly increases the probability that his wife will stop being attracted to him and his marriage will fail."

Ok, to be fair to him here, there was a study done showing that the rate of divorce goes up among those where the woman works and the man stays at home. It only showed up once to my knowkedge, with no follow up, and the story pointing to the study was on Yahoo which means they could have easily exaggerated it, but I can at least see the method to his madness here

c) doing so significantly increases the probability that his wife will stop being attracted to him and his marriage will fail.

Protip: People have far more reasons to stay together or get divorces than sexual attraction.  Sexual attraction is only the tip of the iceberg.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Yeah, as stated it was a single study and I don't think there were any follow ups

So a poor thing to base an opinion on, but at least I can see his thought process there ("ERMAHGAWD EVEN DEM LIRBERAL SCI-UN-TEESTS AHGREH WIT MEH! NAH AH HAF PRUF!")

how to prove that e = 2

pie = 2 pi
    pie/pi = 2 pi/pi
    e = 2

ebin :-DDDDDDDDDDDDD

t. maths expert

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

pie = 2 pi
    pie/pi = 2 pi/pi
    e = 2

i find your maths flawed

pie = pi + e
    pie = 2 pi

therefore, pi = e 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

pie = yummy in my tummy

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

depends on the pie