If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    You seriously cannot distinguish attractive males from unattractive ones at all?
  • edited 2013-03-10 18:14:50
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Yeah, that's kinda the whole point of the Kinsey scale — it's meant to encourage the idea that people who are 100% straight or 100% gay are actually extremely rare, because most of us can recognise attractiveness in all sorts of people regardless of sex or gender.
  • edited 2013-03-10 18:23:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, there's this problem with the phrasing:

can feel attracted to the same sex in a strictly aesthetic way

What exactly does it mean to feel attracted in a strictly aesthetic way?

Does this include, say, finding a physically fit person more visually acceptable than an overweight or emaciated person?

Or does this only include feelings of wanting to hang out with or be like someone (of the same gender) whose body image you find very visually acceptable?

And how much should i try to mentally separate "visually acceptable because that's what I'm used to based on societal standards of acceptability" and "visually acceptable because I intrinsically think so"?

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Does this include, say, finding a physically fit person more visually acceptable than an overweight or emaciated person?

For the purposes of the scale, yes, this is included in the criteria.

And how much should i try to mentally separate "visually acceptable because that's what I'm used to based on societal standards of acceptability" and "visually acceptable because I intrinsically think so"?

I'm not sure we really have any right to answer that question for you, dude. Do as much or as little separation as you feel comfortable with.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well then I guess I'm a one.  But that hardly seems to be something related to sexuality -- aesthetic value is quite a bit different from sexual attractiveness, unless you want to argue that everything about the human mind somehow ties back to sexuality.

And if the point of the Kinsey scale is to encourage a certain idea, then it isn't exactly unbiased.

• edited 2013-03-10 18:47:28
    a little muffled

@ that dresden files thing: Honestly, even if some of their criticisms have merit (which maybe they do, I didn't read anywhere near the whole thing) it's pretty easy to tear apart just about anything by taking a bunch of scenes completely out of context, focusing on one particular detail of each and then extrapolating an implication about the author's state of mind from it. Also, playing "lol, wizard staffs are dicks" in every other sentence kinda makes the author sound like a twelve-year-old boy.

And if the point of the Kinsey scale is to encourage a certain idea, then it isn't exactly unbiased.

Which do you think is more likely: that the scale is biased, or that once again I just chose my words rather poorly? :P

I couldn't tell because I'm not that familiar with the Kinsey scale.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I seem to be writing lots of typos today. I blame a weekend mostly spent on the highway. :V

If I was in a state where I'd expect myself to make typos, personally I'd make sure to browse the forum on my phone or my tablet just so I have autocorrect backing me up.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I couldn't imagine ever typing on my phone when I have my computer right in front of me.

Typos that slip by me usually occur when I am sleepy, and often take the form not of misspelled words but of completely misplaced and mis-substituted words.

• edited 2013-03-10 19:35:25

Typos mostly happen when I'm tired, but less because I don't notice them and more because I don't feel like fixing them once I do notice because tired and effort.

EDIT: Also obligatory typo in a post about typos.  "Typo's" instead of "typos."  Though this may sort of be acceptable due to etymology, or something.

• I dislike typos, but often I feel more shame in trying to cover them up rather than making them.

• Random interesting stuff:

often I feel more shame in trying to cover them up rather than making them

How on earth did you develop a mindset so far beyond my comprehension?

• edited 2013-03-10 19:57:45

I find I actually make more typos on my tablet than on my laptop. With the laptop, I can look at the words as I'm typing them and see if I've made any mistakes. With the tablet, I have to look at the on-screen keyboard as I'm typing, then when I finish the sentence I've invariably made some error that autocorrect has "helpfully" turned into a completely different word.

And honestly, if I'm using the tablet, I'm probably tired enough that I don't notice until after I hit "Send". (I like to use my tablet in bed. It's less cumbersome than a laptop, and "too tired to hold the device properly" makes for a good measure of "time to go to sleep".)

I am tired, but in half an hour I need to pick up my mom from the train station.

And I also have a fuckton of reading to do.  I am so remiss on this.

• edited 2013-03-10 22:52:22

Wandering outside of my watchlist on TV Tropes for a little bit, it seems to me that IJBM has a lot more discussion and a lot fewer "post your whatever" threads. By that latter category I mean threads like "what's your favorite videogame?" wherein everyone posts their favorite videogame, and then most people don't look back because there's not much to discuss.

I personally think that this is a good thing. What do you think?

Well, yeah. And threads without actual discussion kinda bore me and/or make it hard to tell if anybody even noticed me.

Have you got your own action figure?

A glenn action figure would probably have amusing accessories. Like uh, tiny posters of blue-haired animu chicks. But not Sayaka Miki. hey glenn, you have any opinion on Tsubasa Kazanari?

RE: Kinsey scale what does it mean if you find certain things attractive on both sexes?

I don't know who those two characters are.

That said I need to make myself a Kanata avatar quickly just to mess with you people who've started stereotype-pegging (stereopegging?) me on blue-haired anime girls.

• Sayaka is the blue one in Madoka.  Tsubasa is the blue one in Symphogear.

• edited 2013-03-10 23:49:20
    But you never had any to begin with.

Sayaka Miki is one of the main characters in Madoka. Tsubasa is one of the main characters in Symphogear.

EDIT: Neither of them were ninja.

• edited 2013-03-11 00:39:16
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

character primary hair color(s) secondary hair color(s)
    Éclair* brown, purple red, purple-red, dark brown
    Chihaya Kisaragi* purplish blue  
    Teana Lanster* light brown  
    Yukari Morita* dark brown  
    Pfeilspitze* blue pale green
    Schach Nouera purple-pink  
    Kanata Shinonome red  
    Asuka Langley Soryu* brown blond, red

Going by the female characters on my MAL favorites list and adding a few more as an afterthought because I'm too lazy to make another table in this editor.

Natsuki Kuga* / dark blue
    Nao Yuuki* / red
    Chiara Ferina / orange
    Ally Connolly / dark brown
    Chieri Sono / blue
    Anemone / pink
    Jenna* / dull red
    Mia* / blue-green/turquoise
    Ritz Malheur* / pink
    Lucca Ashtear* / purple
    Lyn (Lyndis) / dark green/green-blue
    Vanessa* / green
    Jill / red
    Fuu Hououji / blond
    Alexandria Kelly O'Connor* / brown
    Ami Futami* / brown
    Akira Kayama* / dark green

* = have avatar

I'm not sure how to count purple and green.  For the others, you can pretty much bin them into red, blue, or yellow/brown.

Edit: for fun:

Squid Girl / light blue
    Cirno / light blue

• Definitely not gay.

Butcher really is a shoddy writer,

Agreed. If you have to spend two fucking paragraphs telling us what X character looks like (and I'm not sure if you aren't drawing from your sick sex fantasies Butcher), there's something wrong.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

There are far better writers than Butcher who will spend longer detailing what characters look like. There's nothing wrong with spending a fair amount of time detailing them, as long as it's interesting.

What makes it troublesome is when the author spends two paragraphs detailing what all the hot women look like.

Butcher's prose is dry, but there's nothing wrong with most of it. He has a fairly good grasp of folklore, how to write dialogue, and can come up with some great action scenes.

He has his problems, but his writing isn't at the point that a publisher shouldn't have picked it up.

and I'm not sure if you aren't drawing from your sick sex fantasies Butcher

C'mon, dude. The article's deliberately shoving a bunch of scenes out at you out of context in order to paint Butcher himself in the worst light it can. Don't buy into that crap, it makes you look like a tool.

His series has got some troublesome sexist elements and some wonky writing issues, but that's about as far as it goes.

• edited 2013-03-11 02:40:46
    Definitely not gay.

Didn't I call it into attention to vent frustration at the inaccuracies in the first place?  

And Harry Dresden is a misogynist. He's misguided, not intentional, but still. And this comes back to bite him in the ass in Storm Front: both Murphy and himself get into major trouble because he felt the completely unwarranted need to protect her.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You are also buying into them as we speak, so.

• Definitely not gay.

I am? That's troublesome. I like the Dresden Files, although they are genuinely flawed.

and I'm not sure if you aren't drawing from your sick sex fantasies Butcher

I will quote this once again. Nothing Butcher has written, as far as I am aware, has indicated anything about what Butcher himself thinks about women.

The article, meanwhile, makes the same accusation.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

who is Butcher?