If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I've heard of Bioshock but know next to nothing of what it's about, and am currently not interested in the series.

• I'm a damn twisted person

To be fair, you can easily have not heard of Bioshock if your interest in gaming is only Madden, Halo and CoD.

I dunno man, I figured it was something along the lines of how people know King Kong is a giant gorilla that climbs the Empire State building. They might never have seen any of the movies, but through pop cultural osmosis, they know it exists. I figure the level of basic Bioshock knowledge is "It exists and there is an underwater city"

• You can change. You can.

Yeah, but a marketing department doesn't want you just to know the product. It wants you to love it, hold it, marry it and then live with it forever. 

Fridge brilliance: Marketing is responsible for the "waifu" phenomenon.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I figure the level of basic Bioshock knowledge is "It exists and there is an underwater city"

I knew the first bit, not the second.

• edited 2012-12-10 02:25:53
    There is love everywhere, I already know

As somebody who knows nothing about Bioshock aside from the over art of the other two games, I'd say this new game is about pirates.

What I knew was:

"It exists and there are mecha frogs in it."

It also feels like (Warning: What follows is complete stupidity) complete betrayal to the loyal fans who actually love your series and want to put it on their shelves with the other games, though this is easily fixed by making the limited edition look more Bioshock-ey.

• ^

He did mention that 2K will be providing alternate covers that gamers can print off themselves.

So you'll be able to just print out a new cover and slip it in in place of the old one.

Though I feel like they should just make it a reversible cover instead, since not everyone can easily make good-looking prints.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

That's... sort of okay.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-10 02:55:49

I guess it's the same thinking that made the Japanese packaging for Uncharted making it look like a JRPG.

I can see the point behind marketing the eye-catching box art to everyone but the people who already know about your game, but it still feels...underhanded.

Then again, the dudebros at my college were more familiar with Bioshock than I was, so I'm not sure the specifics are particularly valid.

So just now I bothered to actually look at that Bioshock Infinite cover picture.

I guess the old covers looked kinda steampunky and this looks more westerny.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-10 03:40:35

That much is indicative of the actual game.  The issue was mostly the focus group decision to make it Generic Stubble Guy Posing With Gun #41754713.

So is Bioshock Infinite actually a westerny game?

• edited 2012-12-10 03:43:57
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Honestly, I think this has a chance of backfiring. Bioshock's cover made you go "wow, a weird thing I've never seen. What could it be?"

While Infinite's cover is a generic-looking protagonist with a gun.

Goddamn it, ninja'd by the new page.

^Nope. Steampunk airborne American Revolution-modeled civilization.

So a Death Star populated by deadbeats who don't want to pay taxes.

• More like a Death Star populated by Randian sociopaths who ran ubermensch experiments out of the prying eyes of international councils.

• My arms are falling off!

My latest guilty pleasure: Taito's "Landing" flight sim series.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I fucking love Chrono Trigger:

> so I'm looking for Masamune
    > go up this mountain pass, goblins fucking everywhere
    > not an issue, I'm a hard nut to crack
    > so there's this cave
    > enter, there's like a kid in there, which is weird but okay
    > move further into the cave, see a sword in a stone
    > kid calls for his brother; one's called "Masa", the other "Mune"
    > oh boy
    > one says "Humans are so... silly! It's how you USE the sword that matters, not who owns it!"
    > holy shit a game gets it

earlier:

> a monkey promises to teach me magic
    > tells me to walk around the edge of a room three times while thinking "MAGIC!" loudly in my head
    > follow his instructions
    > now I know magic

THIS GAME GETS ME ;~; 

• edited 2012-12-10 06:03:39

"Humans are so... silly! It's how you USE the sword that matters, not who owns it!"

But a Masamune isn't considered to be a good sword because of who owned it, it's considered to be a good sword because of who made it (unless Square is being silly as usual, or just because Masamune wasn't even called that in the Japanese version).  Which, of course, is still less important than how you use it but it's not exactly unreasonable that you'd want your weapons made by someone who is known for being good at making weapons.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Chrono Trigger's Masamune/Grandleon is considered a one of a kind legendary weapon, though.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Still in the Top 3 best RPG games ever, as far as I'm considered.

• edited 2012-12-10 08:51:32
    Definitely not gay.

>Chrono Trigger

You called?

a monkey promises to teach me magic

KILWALA

IT'S A KILWALA

(And the process actually has nothing to do with learning magic: Spekkio was just trolling you.)

> one says "Humans are so... silly! It's how you USE the sword that matters, not who owns it!"
    > holy shit a game gets it

Your understanding of their words is kind of...off, when you put it into context.

It looks more like a sheep-chicken, anyway.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I have never met these legendary "dew guzzling frat goblins" (from that article), but perhaps I will someday. I know pretty much nothing about BioShock (that's the game with plasmids and big daddies and shit, right? I might be thinking of something else), but that cover doesn't really make me want to buy it. I don't think video games really sell based on cover art, but maybe that's why I don't have a job in a marketing department.

Fridge brilliance: Marketing is responsible for the "waifu" phenomenon.

That meme is from Azumanga Daioh.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-art-of-commerce-why-bioshock-infinites-cover-doesnt-matter

This article makes an interesting point on the cover matter: it's quite possibly a bargaining chip with the publisher to justify the funds for the extra polishing the game seems to be going through.

And if a game is going to dumb something down to appeal to a wider audience, the marketing campaign gets my vote.

• edited 2012-12-10 14:31:48

That meme is from Azumanga Daioh.

No.  The phrase "mai waifu" is, but the actual phenomenon of people being in love with/extremely obsessed with 2D characters is older than Azumanga.

I don't think video games really sell based on cover art, but maybe that's why I don't have a job in a marketing department.

No, but bad cover art can steer people away from something that people keep saying is good. See the Wheel of Time books. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

(And the process actually has nothing to do with learning magic: Spekkio was just trolling you.)

Oh don't you start. 

If Hellblazer has taught me anything, magic is 10% screwing around with the forces of the universe and 90% screwing with the heads of everybody around you. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-10 15:18:36

^^^ Or more hilariously, Phalanx.

I have never met these legendary "dew guzzling frat goblins" (from that article), but perhaps I will someday.

I have.  They're irritating and the stereotypical tastes are pretty well grounded in reality, but they're generally aware enough of other stuff on their Eksbawks to at least play a demo.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I like how Western owners of Xbox mostly play Madden/COD while Japanese owners mostly play Idolmaster/loli shmups. It has to be the most different userbase for the same console ever