If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Definitely not gay.

Marle

I think we can all see why your physical damage output isn't as good as it should be.

• I rarely had to grind in CT. Unless you missed some equipment. Then again, I went with Crono/Lucca/Frog to attack most of the element barriers Magus put.

Also, Crono is how you spell the main character's name. [/pedantic]

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You should have brought Lucca.  Because that would get you three of four elements and because Lucca is cute.

In fact, that would have gotten you four of four elements if you've gotten 2nd-order magic spells for all your characters.  Delta Storm should be available to you.

it creates an "ordered fight" where sequencing your attacks correctly is extremely important. You obviously have to take your actions in quick enough time for them to be useful at that point in the battle, but the efficiency of your combat order is overall much more important than how quickly you can make your characters attack.

Have you played any other ATB games before?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-12-11 03:11:18

Maybe Alex likes the healing Marle brings. Or maybe he had Haste. That is always a good spell to have.

>Also always played in Wait. Because I like taking my time damnit.

• Definitely not gay.

Or maybe he had Haste.

That is an end-game tech.

• Doh. I am derp. More reason to replay.

• @Alex: Ah, that seems interesting. I think my main problem is that I can rarely put my thoughts into words, hence why I default to "Fun things are fun." I dunno, I also tend to be interested in the technical aspects as well, not sure, could be that it's hard and concrete. I honestly have no clue.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Actually, I did have Haste. It was more useful in the lead-up to Magus, though, since the Magus battle required me to heal more than usual so I couldn't "waste" castings. Like I said, ordering your actions correctly is several degrees better than attacking more quickly in the long run. 

And yeah, the healing was really good. I don't like relying on items or single-target healing spells because I feel as though they're a bit of a waste when I could use two characters to heal three instead. But then I returned to the Cretacious period and got Ayla as a permanent party member. Chrono/Ayla/Frog is stupidly powerful, given that all three are powerful offensive options and the latter two are good healers in their own right while having a fantastic synchronised healing ability. 

Have you played any other ATB games before?

Yep. Those being a small handful of Final Fantasy titles. Generally I found that it was best to get the strongest abilities I had out as soon as possible. Due to Chrono Trigger's emphasis on synchronised techniques, though, I find that I'm much more likely to wait for the opportune moment to act. In turn, having to wait changes how I'm going to use the third party member, and this relationship can change as soon as I want to synchronise techniques with said third character. 

This compounds with the encounter and boss design. If I have to attack a specific target to proceed, then I want to attack it as efficiently as possible at the smallest cost to myself. So I have to think about whether to have each party member act independently or whether to establish a synchronisation protocol, and if the conditions of the battle change (as they often do during boss battles),  then I have to review my strategy once more. Both sections of the battle have to be balanced with damage nullification, be that through defense or healing. 

• Definitely not gay.

Actually, I did have Haste.

...What?

If getting Haste is no problem for you, why didn't you just teach Frog Heal 2? 

I dunno. 

Marle just learned Haste at some point. It wasn't intentional or anything, she just kinda did. I don't have any knowledge of the inner workings of Chrono Trigger's magic system, so I'm pretty much winging it. Seems to be working; I've died twice, once when I stupidly tried to do the Lavos fight really early and a second time against the palace golem thing (which ends in a cutscene anyway so). 

• Definitely not gay.

and a second time against the palace golem thing (which ends in a cutscene anyway so). 

There is a way to win that. It requires speed, though.

• edited 2012-12-11 03:33:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh, you mean the combo techs.  Sounds like you're not going to like the last/optional party member as much.  (Protip: No combos at all, unless equipped with special items.)

You learn techs in CT by gaining tech points.  You can check out your tech list in your menu and find out how many more tech points you need to learn the next tech.

You learn combos by having the prerequisite techs learned and then winning a battle with the characters.

@Lai: Just say it anyway, in plain words.  Sometimes it works better that way, even.

If it's a rote process of gaining X amount of tech points while character Y is in the party, I kinda wonder why Frog doesn't have Heal 2. Then again, Marle has been my mainstay for ages because of her synchronicity with Chrono for the purposes of group healing. For ages, my party setup was just Chrono/Marle/whoever the plot demanded. Ideally I'd like to take Lucca along more often due to her offensive synchronicity with Chrono, but like I said, healing items bug me when I could have two members heal three members instead. 

• edited 2012-12-11 03:43:59

Frog doesn't get Heal 2.  Or at least he doesn't get all-targeting healing.

• Definitely not gay.

lol, it was actually called Heal.

And yes, he does.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Got my first 100% yesterday in osu! It was in easy modo but still felt good.

Also sorry if this is another sextapost, I don't know how that happened
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121031-Naughty-Dog-Defends-The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer

"We would never add multiplayer just because publishers told us to. It is an absolutely vital portion of our game experience. Which is why we're having a separate studio make it."

^^ Oh don't worry about it; I figured it was a glitch anyway.

• edited 2012-12-11 11:05:26

You should all vote for La-Mulana for indie game of the year at IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/la-mulana

If you have a Desura account, sign in using that.  If you don't, get a Desura account, because you can get Indie Royale games that way.  As well as games like these: http://bundle-in-a-box.com/

are you going to tell us why , or...?
  • You can change. You can.

"We would never add multiplayer just because publishers told us to. It is an absolutely vital portion of our game experience. Which is why we're having a separate studio make it."

While I think it's kind of bullshit to sell it like that, considering that Uncharted's MP was pretty good (And actually fit with the whole "Treasure hunters" thing), I don't exactly mind them doing it again. 

^^ Because La-Mulana is an awesome game that includes at least eighteen areas with unique atmospherics and nine bosses each with its own distinct battle theme and is quite possibly the largest metroidvania game in existence (relative to the size of the player-character)?

I didn't want to write this since I felt that would just be rehashing stuff I've posted before, since I remember pimping promoting the game here when it came out on Playism.

But yeah, that's the title I'm most interested in, of all the 100 games named here: http://www.indiedb.com/events/2012-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100

You can go vote for any games you like.  I think you can vote for as many as you want, too.

• Wait, I'm pretty sure La-mulana is much older than that.

The original MSX-style freeware version of the game was released in 2005.  Then they re-did the entire game, redesigned most of the puzzles and the bosses, updated the graphics, touched up the music, and released the new version as a WiiWare and PC offering.  Both were scheduled to be localized for English-speaking audiences (the developers are Japanese), but their collaboration with Nicalis fell through, while they worked on the localization independently, so they ended up getting the English version published via Playism this year.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I voted for Pokemon 3D.

• Not one, but two different petitions have sprung up basically begging for Dark Souls 2 and Tomb Raider to be released on the Wii U.

Frankly, it's fairly unsettling that Nintendo put out an HD console just so that they can get back on the multiplatform train when the fell off it when the Wii came out, and are still struggling to get major titles on their console. And we just bought the thing.

Well...the problem with releasing a ... dammit, I don't want to use the term "hardcore" because it's a stupid term...a game that people would call "hardcore" on the Wii or the Wii U is less graphics and more that people believe so firmly that such games do not exist on Nintendo systems that even if it gets released, they won't buy it, because it doesn't exist.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-11 22:11:10

The other problem is that developers are leery of porting something onto WiiU without spending months shoehorning in every controller gimmick they can.

The WiiU has a touchpad as a controller, right?

What about using the touchpad input to "draw" attacks, such as different strokes for different sword swing patterns?