If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^^You're exaggerating the difficulty.

Mostly, the difficulty is a result of an incredibly bare tutorial, meaning your first time through, you'll have a worthless build.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Also, if you suck at quick-paced/reflex-based gameplay, just don't even bother.

• edited 2012-12-08 01:28:03
    ^^ I admit once you come to grips with the combat system, pacing and discern your favorite weapon/attack pattern the difficulty drops dramatically, but for the first few hours you will generally feel like the game is kicking you in the teeth
  • edited 2012-12-08 01:40:51

You're exaggerating the difficulty.

Mostly, the difficulty is a result of an incredibly bare tutorial, meaning your first time through, you'll have a worthless build.

Are you suggesting that I haven't been spending two-thirds of my time in Artorias of the Abyss dying horribly, even on one of my actually good characters?

Anyway,

So can someone, in not too many words, tell me why I should get Dark Souls?

It's a modern game with modern production values and gameplay but with retro design sensibilities reminiscent of early Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden games and the like.  Also, innovative multiplayer aspects (well, Demon's Souls I guess is the one that actually innovated there, but close enough) and strong storytelling in a way that complements the atmosphere and gameplay (i.e. almost entirely through exploration and having to make your own interpretations of things).

Or, my shorter explanation that I've given before... It's a 3D Castlevania game that is actually good.

Haven't played Artorias of the Abyss. My statement does describe the main game accurately, though, I think.

I admit once you come to grips with the combat system, pacing and discern your favorite weapon/attack pattern the difficulty drops dramatically, but for the first few hours you will generally feel like the game is kicking you in the teeth

Yeah, but if you look up the stuff the game isn't telling you (e.g. what stats are useful and what equipment stats mean), you don't have nearly as much of a learning curve.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> It's a 3D Castlevania game that is actually good.

Does it have a very rich and high-quality musical score that evokes atmosphere very well?

Does it primarily involve lots of exploration of many different areas, sometimes of contrasting themes?

• edited 2012-12-08 02:11:05

Actually, Dark Souls' music is pretty good.  It's by Motoi Sakuraba.  But there's usually only music during boss fights, and the title screen and such.  Most areas in the game have no music.

And yes there is lots of exploration of varied environments in an (mostly-) interconnected world.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Yes and yes.
  • edited 2012-12-08 02:11:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> Motoi Sakuraba

Ooh, now I have to get thi--

> most areas in the game have no music

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• edited 2012-12-08 02:16:18

I think the lack of music most of the time actually kind of works.  It makes the world feel a lot emptier.

Also it makes it more striking when music actually does play, and it's generally stuff like this.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-08 02:43:54

I found that the FF style of pretense was a post-FF6 thing, personally. A lot of SNES-era JRPGs appear completely happy to be expanded fairy tales.

Eh.  5 wasn't too bad about it.  6 was...halfway there, but good in spite of it.  4 was pretty pretentious though.  The trend kind of started there.

• edited 2012-12-08 02:58:37
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Thanks. Also, new thing that I thought would fit for this thread.

I'm making an RP game where common RPG stats are related to common school subjects

• Composition/Language: The Rogue

• Math: The Mage

• PE: The Fighter

• Science: One of three: Engineer/Potionmaster/Medic

• Now what the FUCK do I make History?

• Some mage/tactician mix with party buffs.  Bard, maybe?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    > mfw math isn't the fighter
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

History is the wizard, obviously.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I decided to make History a little out there. It's going to be a Luck-based class based "learning from past mistakes"

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Did they give any information on what platforms will Dark Souls II be?

And why would you announce such a game at the VGAs? I bet everyone in the room went "wow fucking gay where's the guns and QTEs" or wow fucking gay what a skyrim ripoff XD"

Because for some reason, the game industry takes the VGAs very seriously.

So...I got back into Runescape.

Some of the new quests are...really well-written, from both a character and lore perspective. Not even fucking kidding.

I honestly can't believe I'm playing a grindy MMO I played when I was 10 and thinking "wow, I wish all game writing was this good."

• edited 2012-12-08 11:49:05
    Tech support

^^^ PS3, Xbox360 and PC with GGWL according to the official website.

Now I'm pissed. I have money from my birthday to spend but there is little on sale I want to buy and I know the steam winter sale is coming up soon as well.

• edited 2012-12-08 11:51:36
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

GFWL

Really? Again? At least the PC version will be developed concurrently this time.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So...I got back into Runescape.

Some of the new quests are...really well-written, from both a character and lore perspective. Not even fucking kidding.

I honestly can't believe I'm playing a grindy MMO I played when I was 10 and thinking "wow, I wish all game writing was this good."

For perspective, I just played through a quest wherein the game used only its 'interact with object' and 'use an object on another' mechanics. It didn't use any combat or skills at all.

It's the first time in a while where the resolution of a story in a game has made me go "No. I just can't do that." without any mechanical benefits to sway me.

• edited 2012-12-08 12:01:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^^ Save your money.

^^Having also completed that quest, I can second that.

In fact, I'll just straight-up say that Rune Memories and One Piercing Note are my two favorite quests in RPGs.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Runescape is getting better and better with time.

It's one of my favorite MMOs, no kidding. The weakest aspect are probably the graphics, but even then they look like eyecandy considering that the graphics engine is fully powered by Java.

• Runescape recently changed their combat system, right?  How is that?

• edited 2012-12-08 14:39:42
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, I can safely call this one of the two MMOs that I've enjoyed playing beyond a sort of idle, disengaged diversion.

The graphics are awful compared to other current games, but the art direction is good enough that it would be fine if the cutscene animators would just cut out the occasional facial close-ups.

It's still quite grindy, but a bit less so, and the sheer variety of skills (nearly all of them extremely useful) makes the repetition a bit less dull.

And again, the two best story quests I've ever played in an RPG.

My brain is still half-shutting down trying to process this. I may need to do an emergency review.

^It's much better -- now at least on par with other MMOs, albeit nothing to write home about.

If you still don't like it, though, some of the best content in the game doesn't involve combat (or the skill system at all, amazingly)

• I assume all this stuff is in the subscription version of the game?

• edited 2012-12-08 16:17:09
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Most of it. The new combat is for everyone.

That said, all new accounts are automatically members for two weeks now, and those quests I was talking about can be done straight out of the tutorial (or even during it, if you just feel like breaking off and doing other stuff, though they've also made the tutorial substantially more engaging).

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    I'm replaying Gothic 2: Night of the Raven, this time with the Ironkeep Community Patch 2.1 (some bug fixes, minor rebalancing, sharper textures and better high-res support).

After ten years, it's still a fascinating game.