If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Hotline Miami, Sonic Generations, Lego Batman 2 and my existing backlog should tide me over until the Christmas sale.  I still need to get used to being able to play most games at 1080p with a reasonable frame rate without having to turn everything down to low.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

So I was talking to my mom, and I mentioned The Walking Dead game and how it made me cry too much, and her reaction was something along the lines of "you cried over a zombie computer game?" which was about what I expected.  But then I was like yeah, and she said its hard to imagine caring that much about a video game, but that she was intrigued.

Then I convinced her to play it sometime after I get home tomorrow.  I'm actually really interested to see how this goes.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Forzare - make a tumblr blogging her reactions. Should get tumblr famous in a few weeks.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I doubt it would be that hilarious.

biowareaccordingtomom is great though.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

My mother has repeatedly claimed that she would have one hell of a time designing video games.

She doesn't care about playing them, though.

• edited 2012-12-08 18:26:06
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    When I was little, I used to play games like Sonic and Crash Bandicoot (enough that we named our dog Crash) with my mom a lot, but she hasn't played anything other than like party games on the Wii/Kinect since.
  • Planescape Torment. This game. This writing. This dialogue. This is absolutely wonderful.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That game. Every time I play it, I love the writing, the dialogue, the art, the atmosphere...but the engine is just so godawful that I've never gotten very far.

I don't even have a problem with the engine, since I grew up playing way too much Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but every time I try to play it, I never get very far before I just sort of... forget.  And I really do love it while I'm playing it.

I'm not talking about the 2E D&D engine; I'm talking about Torment specifically. Baldur's Gate seems much more playable thus far. Torment just...well, frankly, it would really benefit from just cutting combat.

• edited 2012-12-08 19:28:20
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Oh.  I guess I just never really played enough to notice that much of a difference.

How are you finding Baldur's Gate, by the way?

I'm not very far just now, but it's grabbed my interest. There are like ten games I'm trying to get through right now, so it's slow progress.

What kind of character are you playing?

The one time I actually beat the game I was playing a Mage, and the character I just started is an Inquisitor.  

I can basically speedrun everything in Candlekeep at this point, I made so many characters as a kid.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

@All the PC:T talk:

This might be a thing.

^^Sorcerer. Because I like magic, but can't stand Vancian magic.

Alright, I started up the Witcher 2 and 1) I immediately saw why Alex likes it so much, 2) the plot, combat, visuals, interface, pretty much everything is FAR better than the first game.

This is going to be a good winter break.

Are you playing on easy mode?

If not, you might want to restart now. The first-act boss is absurd.

^I am.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Doesn't sorceror also have Vancian magic?  But maybe it was different in 2e; I'm thinking 3.5e.

They have spells per day, but don't have to prepare them in advance.

How does that make it not Vancian?  I thought Vancian just meant magic spells are neatly packaged in spells that have very particular effects.

• Wikipedia says that Vancian magic means you have to choose in advance what spells you're going to use in a given day (or whatever other time period happens to be used in your game).

Wikipedia has a page on Vancian magic?  If it does I couldn't find it.

But I did find this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VancianMagic

It seems that the definition encompasses both what I mentioned and what CU mentioned.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Wikipedia has a page on Vancian magic?  If it does I couldn't find it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_(gaming)

The game character must memorize a fixed number of spells from the list of all spells the character knows. This memorization can only occur once in a specified time period, usually a day, or it may require the character to rest for several hours. This system is sometimes called "Vancian" in the game designer community, since its first use, in Dungeons & Dragons, was inspired by the way magic works in Jack Vance's Dying Earth world.

• edited 2012-12-09 23:18:31
  • Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Thinking I want to learn japanese...Too many games I want to play.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121007-Ken-Levine-on-BioShock-Infinites-Bro-Tastic-Cover-Art

So, Bioshock Infinite's cover is designed to appeal (exclusively) to people who have never heard of Bioshock.

I get the logic, but...-_-

• I'm a damn twisted person

Wait seriously? that's kinda dumb. Unless you are a kid just getting into gaming, chances are you've heard of Bioshock before. 

• You can change. You can.

To be fair, you can easily have not heard of Bioshock if your interest in gaming is only Madden, Halo and CoD. But the thing is, it's simply impossible for me to believe that nobody searches for games they might like outside of those.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    @Formal: Nope. I mean to. All the same, though, all these different games seem to miss part of the potential here.