If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-16 21:02:31

Did so before leaving for class today. And did Mandrill's stage before Eagle's.

Will now save Chill Penguin as late as possible.

EDIT: And Cyber Peacock is dead. I think his teleports aren't that tricky to deal with and his Aiming Laser attack leaves him open quite a bit. Just took me a while to figure out how to dodge them with a sliver of health left.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Playing Ultima IV.

It's having me read a book. Good start.

• edited 2012-08-17 05:40:57
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

I really need to get back to that. And Ultima Underworld. And Ultima VII. And some other Ultima games, most of all the first Ultima (yes, it's old and it didn't age well and it's SF elements are pretty stupid with it's time machine and out-of-place space battles with Tie Fighters as enemies, but it's fun).

I find myself playing Pirates! Gold (after buying it on GOG) quite a bit. It's not as hard as I remember, actually pretty easy when you play on a low difficulty (after sharing the loot next time, I raise the difficulty). Maybe I just screwed up the copy protection when I first played it many years ago.

But I think playing the remake, even though it was a bit simplified in some parts, prepared me well for it. It's rather repetitive, though, although it doesn't stop being fun (maybe I just like raiding ships and towns very much). Still, I think I should do some other stuff, like looking for the treasure, I bought a map for some time ago. Or actually start to look for my family.

Oh, I also got Dark Souls. So far ("far" is actually not something I got very), it seems a bit harder than Demon's Souls, but I think my impression is tainted by the fact that you have to actually kill the tutorial boss, while in Demon's Souls you can safely get killed (that sounds kind of odd). Of course, if you play it the intended way, you can sap half of it's health easily, but it's still tricky and I need four tries with my vagabond (I only needed one when I restarted with a fighter, but that's probably because I got a hang of it. Trying it again with a slow as fuck knight was a disaster, though.), so I refrain from making any real judge.

Parrying and countering is harder, though. I only managed to successfully do it exactly one time. In Demon's Souls I don't have much problem with it.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

So, Valve is giving away 75% off coupons for Portal 2. I have one, anyone who doesn't have the game want it?

I need four tries with my vagabond (I only needed one when I restarted with a fighter, but that's probably because I got a hang of it. Trying it again with a slow as fuck knight was a disaster, though.)

I tend to suggest Pyromancer. It tends to be the most powerful starting class.

Parrying and countering is harder, though. I only managed to successfully do it exactly one time. In Demon's Souls I don't have much problem with it.

Yeah, Parrying is kinda hard in this game (though apparently the window of opportunity varies between shields). I tend to recommend backstabs. They're easier and less risky.

• edited 2012-08-17 11:57:51
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^ Here's a tip: Dark Souls builds aren't nearly as dependent on vitality as Demon's Souls ones are. As a result, they can be more diverse or more focused, although it's entirely possible to boost your vitality to 50 and have a good build. Some people pull some ridiculous stuff with some ridiculously split builds, like having strength, dexterity, intelligence and faith all around 22-24, endurance 40, vitality 40 and attunement almost 20 -- all within the soul level 120 average for online PvP. 

Here's a place where you can test builds in terms of their stats at whatever given level for whatever given gear, although it assumes that the gear is fully upgraded. 

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Toki To Towa is getting localized! Probably!

You know, as much as I prefer Dark Souls, the boss slaying text in Demon's Souls was so much cooler.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

As were the bosses in general. A lot more variance. All the bosses in Dark Souls are some variation on "giant nasty thing" barring a very limited number of examples. In Demon's Souls, I loved the bosses that weren't that much bigger than a person, or weren't at all. Garl Vinland, the Penetrator and, tentatively, even the False King. These were great duels, tests of core combat skill moreso than strategy. Not that strategic battles aren't good, mind, but they were refreshing given that most boss battles have some kind of trick.

But that was the key to the boss battles in Demon's Souls. Most weren't actually that hard, but they all had some kind of unique factor. In Dark Souls, a lot of boss battles come down to "circle and hit as hard as you can from behind". I'd love it if there was just one boss in there that I could engage in chivalrous one-on-one combat, sword to sword. So basically another Penetrator fight. 

• edited 2012-08-17 13:09:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I never actually got to those >.>

That said, plenty of the Dark Souls bosses have something unique. The Taurus Demon is a lot easier if you pay attention to the arena and use plunging attacks, the Gargoyles are the first test of your ability to divide your attention, the Capra Demon tests close-quarters fighting, the Gaping Dragon and Quelaag can make parts of the arena have damaging floors...

I'd love it if there was just one boss in there that I could engage in chivalrous one-on-one combat, sword to sword.

Didn't you say you have a bunch of characters right before the Gwyn duel without fighting him yet? Because that's basically what fighting him is.

Also, Artorias will be kind of like that.

• edited 2012-08-17 13:27:52

Toki To Towa is getting localized! Probably!

Toki to Towa (時と永遠 Toki to Towa?) is an upcoming animation role-playing game for PlayStation 3

PlayStation 3

;_;

Why does the 360 not have any games?

• edited 2012-08-17 13:29:38
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, for Japanese games, it has the problem of having by far the lowest install base in Japan, and most of the people who have them there also having PS3s.

• Why does the 360 not have any games?

Blah blah blah Xbox 360 is a flop in Japan blah blah blah

• "Mr. Storm Owl, how many lives will take for me to kill you?"

"Let's find out."

"A-One..."

KABOOOM!

"Just one."

... I honestly wasn't expecting that.

• So after The Last Story, I'm gonna stop going to GameStop and started heading for Amazon and the new local store. 

feelsgoodman.jpeg 

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-17 15:48:46

Okay, PS2 controller, don't you dare fuck up on me while I play God Hand. >:(

EDIT: Think I might be up to Elvis, Level 1-4. I'm looking to buying more techniques that are quick yet damaging.

• edited 2012-08-17 16:03:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So, Valve is giving away 75% off coupons for Portal 2. I have one, anyone who doesn't have the game want it?

I don't have the game, and UE wants me to play co-op with him, so I kinda I want the game.

Though I'll be frank and say that I'm not buying it right now; if you want to gift it to me, go ahead, but don't feel bad if you don't.

Also, I'm not sold on the theory that the coupon has been going out to people who already have Portal 2; UE didn't get one.

• Elvis is kicking my ass.

HELP!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Elvis is kicking my ass.  HELP!

Best line ever?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Though I'll be frank and say that I'm not buying it right now; if you want to gift it to me, go ahead, but don't feel bad if you don't.

Okay then. The coupon is valid only through the end of the month.

Anyone else?

• They're somethin' else.

When he jumps, BACKFLIP!

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-17 16:23:24

That much I do know. It's his easiest attack to dodge. (Mostly because I instinctively backflip a lot. >>)

• They're somethin' else.

To me, his most annoying attacks were always his cigar puffs.

• Oy, I keep running into those. -_-

FUCK

• Kichigai birthday!!

I started playing Killer7 today. It's weird.

T. Professional videogame reviewer

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Does Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon have any online features?

• Huzzah!

Elvis has been defeated! I admit I was worried he would go into his 2nd form right and there.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ Yes. Can't remember what, though. 

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-18 00:30:23

Hmm, I still like Capcom's older games (And stuff like UMvC3 included), but don't like the company nowadays.

... Just remember I've only played Skullgirls once. Huh.