If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Explain please?  I haven't seen those videos and have no idea what they're about.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It's roughly 90 minutes of a former employee describing how Gamestop pretty much takes a shit on its customers, employees and business partners.
  • edited 2012-08-14 05:07:48
    They're somethin' else.

@MadassAlex: What are your feelings about Beat-Em-Ups? If you have any, what are your favorites?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Define "Beat-Em-Up", 'cause it can be used a few ways. The first thing that comes to mind is 16-bit era side-scrollers that played similarly to fighting games. I suppose the modern equivalent would be games like Devil May Cry and God of War, which pretty much operate on the same principles but in three dimensions. I've heard them called "hack and slash", but that's really just the swordy variation of "punch and kick".

I wouldn't say I'm overly fond of Beat-Em-Ups, but I have nothing against them, either. Their strengths probably line up most heavily with the strengths of fighting games -- that is, minute manipulation of distance, chaining and reconciling these with whatever the game's special ability economy happens to be. That said, Beat-Em-Ups include the survivalist element (or the "long game") where your HP is a more important resource than time, empowering more defensive styles of play. In that way, they're the closest thing we have to fighting games with expanded worlds, although I'd one day like to see even more symbiosis between fighting games and games of other types. To my mind, Beat-Em-Ups are a stage on that path.

Also, I was always very fond of Legend on the SNES. 

• edited 2012-08-14 05:47:47
    They're somethin' else.

Yeah, I more or less meant the "fuck up droves of cannon fodder toe to toe while keeping yourself alive" genre.

My favorite in the genre, in terms of visceral satisfaction and oomph to the combat system would probably have to be Capcom's Alien Vs. Predator. Probably the closest thing to 2D Devil May Cry, due to how you can attack from both up close and far away, and the fact that every attack and action is cancellable to allow you to inject whatever uppercut, charge move or projectile salvo that's in your character's move list right in the middle of your auto combo.

I think you'd really like Lynn Kurosawa in that game, Alex.

I never played that one. It's been a while since I've played any traditional Beat-Em-Ups, in fact. Might give it a go if I'm ever in the mood for one. 

• Silence is golden.

In that way, they're the closest thing we have to fighting games with expanded worlds, although I'd one day like to see even more symbiosis between fighting games and games of other types.

You might like Guardians/Denjin Makai II, then or Cyborg Justice lolololololololol.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Started playing Ib. It's 2spooky but at least the puzzles are easy

• Anyone from Europe played The Last Story yet? It comes out today in the US.

• They're somethin' else.

>Looks up Denjin Makai II
    >Super Meter and Street Fighter esque speed line special attacks
    >Freeform attack chains
    >Maki Genryusai in cyborg form

GONNA PLAY THAT SHIT SO HARD

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

So apparently Dragon Age 3 has a newly formed Chantry Inquisition and you play an Inquisitor.

Goddammit now I actually want to play this game.

• Well, here's more reason to get a Vita.

^^I strongly expect that it'll be better than DA2, since DA2 mostly only exists because everything ever absolutely must be a trilogy.

Started playing Moonbase Alpha.

It's a relatively short but not that bad of a game.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

So Infinity Blade 2 is actually really fun.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-15 03:19:34

Playing Mega Man Day in the Limelight 2. Pretty fun so far.

So apparently Dragon Age 3 has a newly formed Chantry Inquisition and you play an Inquisitor.

Goddammit now I actually want to play this game.

That does sound pretty cool. On the other hand, it reinforces the notion that Dragon Age has always been something of a karmic consolation prize for the singleplayer Warhammer Fantasy RPG that ought to have materialised but hasn't.

• So, Rayman Legends looks mighty fine. 

• edited 2012-08-15 12:03:10
    Kichigai birthday!!

Got best ending in Ib. I don't really like scary games but this one was quite good

• edited 2012-08-15 12:50:52
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

A few days ago, my younger brother decided he'd retread Demon's Souls and see if he could beat it. Naturally, I decided to follow and give the game another shot. Various hijinks ensued, but what inspired this post happened just a little while ago. 

So I'm hanging around World 1-4 (post-Penetrator), fight the three crossbowmen perched on the dragon's corpse and then proceed to deal with the three NPC black phantoms standing at the back of the area. I pick up the loot of two of them and then curse myself for not dumping more gear in storage back at the Nexus, since apparently the last item is really heavy. So I'm sorting through my gear and deciding what to drop in order to check this item out, when another black phantom finds me and starts swinging. Fair enough, missed one, I guess.

I deal with this one in two hits, although even one hit takes off about 70% of my health. Pretty unusual; usually, nothing short of a major demon can do that to me, and even then it's rare. But as I waste the phantom, a message pops up saying "Black Phantom [Username] has been banished". This struck me as odd, since I haven't been invaded once during this whole run. Oh well, I won a round of PvP, and easily at that. Go me!

So I go back to sorting through my items. 

And I get invaded again. I just want to know what this fucking item is. It probably isn't anything I'll use (like 99% of the loot in this game), but goddamn it, I won't be happy until I know for sure. 

This time? The dude can't scratch me. He does chip damage, even when my shield is lowered. Arrows do nothing and his mundane close combat attacks do nothing. And then? He inflames his sword. Which I proceed to not get struck by once, after which I hit him three or four times before he goes down. 

It all just makes me feel like such a... protagonist. Like the bad guys are coming at me (human controlled ones, even), and I'm just swatting them away without breaking a sweat while trying to complete a task significantly more difficult (in this case, organising my gear for this fucking loot). 

The item was a tower shield, by the way, which requires an extra ten points of strength for me to use. Bah. So I ditched it and went back to the Nexus with the rest of my loot -- and the 60,000 souls I earned from killing two player-controlled black phantoms. 

Playing Thief.

I love this game, but I really, really suck at it.

And another one. 

This one tried to ensorcel me with foul magick, promptly missed and was beaten down by two swings of the claymore. 

That's three to none in my favour, you damned black phantoms. Feel like such a badass. Such a badass.

What is Binary Domain?

• The X4 Challenge Run Continues!

Jet Stingray: Pathetic

Colonel: Best strategy to use? Stand right next to him. Seriously, he won't hit you. :|

>Get to a new level in Thief
    >Guards are being even worse at their jobs than usual
    >Creepy ambient noises start up
    >Find a bedroom with a coffin in it

This is going to suck. 

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

My steam download speed doesn't know what the fuck.

338 BYTES? I have 15 MB/s and what is this.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^I was having the same problem. It's probably the increased traffic from the new TF2 update.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Note: Nobody plays PC games in Ohio, so U.S. - Columbus is a pretty good download server

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

So time to drop a landmine and post a link about the ME3 ending.

The 'Hulk talk' has long stopped being cute to me but I still think there's a lot of truth here.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

... Haven't we talked about this before? And agreed that he pretty much missed the point of the arguments, and that it's one of his lesser thought-out articles...

And, I mean, he literally says this:

YOU REQUESTED A COLUMN IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE HULK CARES ABOUT / LOVES STORIES AND WHAT YOU DIDN'T REALIZE IS THAT WITH YOUR RAGE WITH THE ENDING, YOU ACTUALLY WANT THE DEATH OF STORYTELLING. SERIOUSLY.

Because, you know, death of storytelling.