If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Heard two Final Fantasy ringtones today.  One was the FFVII wark; the other was the victory fanfare (by itself).

• Speaking of Final Fantasy, I decided to trade in a couple of my older games and buy Theatrhythm.

It's addicting as hell. The combination of RPG Mechanics and Rhythm-Based Gameplay is really well done, and the sheer amount of fanservice for the series is incredible.

It's too bad that so many awesome songs are only available as DLC, though.

Is it similar at all to Sequence, which is also an RPG/rhythm-game hybrid?

• I wouldn't know, I haven't played that one.

Basically, your characters have hit points, and missing or getting "bad" beats deals damage. You can equip your characters with various helpful abilities that trigger under certain conditions and can help in various ways, either by dealing extra damage to enemies, buffing stats, or healing party members.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Sounds like Sequence.

• edited 2012-08-21 20:07:46
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Sounds like Sequence, but with only one thing happening at once.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Restarted TWEWY.

I knew Neku was an asshole at the start of the game, but I forgot how much of an asshole he was.

Why do all the best DS games involve people forced by higher powers to participate in some sort of timed test? I want to say it's just a coincidence but that's kind of a specific formula.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

Which other ones besides TWEWY feature that formula? 999 I guess. Ghost Trick too sorta. And Devil Survivor of course.

... shit, that's my entire DS game library besides the Ace Attorney games, some Pokemon games and the DS Zelda games.

Haven't played Ghost Trick. But yeah, TWEWY, 999, Devil Survivor.

And hell, Ace Attorney arguably counts given the time limit on trials.

Ghost Trick was made by the same team who made Ace Attorney. The whole time limit thing is you are a ghost who has until the sun rises in the morning to figure out who killed you and try to prevent it before the sunrise makes you die for good.

Ah, I see. That's pretty cool.

But anyway, that's a total of, what, eleven of the system's best games? That's kind of absurd.

Well the supernaturally imposed time limit allows the stories to have a clear focus and objective along the way, while still giving players a decent amount of freedom to get through the clock.

True.

Still, there just seems to be an odd concentration on the DS moreso than on other platforms.

• They're somethin' else.

Finally gave Dwarf Fortress a try. Not bad, though nothing crazy's happened yet. I'm figuring things out, little by little by very very little via trial and error.

• No rainbow star
    I'm curious:

I read somebody berating Kaizo Mario games for poor level design as they require glitches, perfect timing, insane amounts of memorization, etc. to get through

Is that fair though? I mean, didn't they fulfill the exact kind of level design required for the style of game?

Let's see what gets revealed first, the Wii U's price and release date or Carpe Fulgur's Project Four.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

The Obvious Gods have given us the Obvious Gift of the Obvious XIII-3 announcement.

I'll actually be kind of surprised if they reveal it isn't an XIII-3 site.

Another one? Admittedly I haven't played FFXIII but isn't that like releasing another trilogy of Star Wars movies focusing on Jar Jar?

like releasing another trilogy of Star Wars movies focusing on Jar Jar?

Well, I think people actually liked the original despite it's flaws. The second turned each flaw up by 170% and kind of ruined the gameplay but had a cliffhanger ending, so unless they wanted to go DLC (Which would probably have killed any fandom it had left, but they did do it for Lightning's ending anyway) so they needed another one.

As much as I love Mega Man X5. Alia seems to go out of her way to ruin the flow of a lot of levels.

>Useless Exposition about an obvious trap ahead

"Alia, shut up, this is a Mega Man game. The level design is supposed to speak for itself."

>Even more useless flavor text midjump

"ARGLEBARLEFART"

• But you never had any to begin with.

Well, I think people actually liked the original despite it's flaws.

More people liked XIII-2 than they did XIII.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    For a moment I thought you meant that cel shading FPS when you said XIII-3 and was all "woah I didn't even knew it got a sequel"

^^^ Really? I haven't really seen people talking about it like that.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-22 14:01:21
    @Schitzo

There was flow in Duff McWhalen's stage?

Also thanks for reminding me about that. I'll probably be doing my challenge run for X5 after God Hand.

Perhaps not. But it got particularly annoying in Mattrex's stage.

Just watched the Bioshock Infinite E3 footage. Impressive.

Finished The Witcher.