If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Riddle of Steel

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

The number is your target number when you roll your dice pool to use that skill.

So if a skill is 5, then rolls of 5 or more will succeed. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

oh

Well, in that case, I must rearrange stuff.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay, how does that look?

Absolutely fine. 

Awesome.

• Has friends besides tanks now

How bout dat combat demo?

Alright. We're gonna do this out of order, since not everyone's around. I'll just make up stats and stuff as we go, it just being a demo and all. I presume you're happy to volunteer, Everest. Any other takers? 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

-is present-

I don't mind volunteering. I also have a bit of backstory for Elejas. It's nothing much, as I've never really been very much into making long, detailed backstories or anything; I prefer letting the RP itself define my characters and beginning them from blank slates. So what I have below is basically a recap of stuff I've already described. If it's not enough, though, I can try to come up with names, or something. Elejas doesn't strike me as a person who's lived a notable life, aside from select events. 

Backstory: Elejas grew up to be antagonistic; he was strong and fairly skilled with the longbow, even at a young age, and he was also bloodthirsty. He got a reality check, though, in the form of an invasion of his clan's grounds by the Teutonic Knights. He left the clan, as it seemed very weak to him, and relocated to another city. Soon after, he was conscripted to the army, where he served for a good long while, and served well. After the war, he found a man who would accept his ill manners if he could hunt, and so he has lodging and money as long as he brings in fresh meat when asked. He is still a bit of a bully, but his time in the army, and the experience of seeing his clan eviscerated, has mellowed him out considerably.

Sounds good to me. 

Okay, for the purposes of this combat sim, you're both identical. The relevant stats are:

Strength: 5
    Toughness: 5
    Endurance: 5
    Health: 5
    Willpower: 5
    Perception: 5

Reflex: 5
    Weapon Prof: 7 (in one close combat weapon of your choice)

Total CP: 12

You each have full body leather armour and a close combat weapon or weapon combination of your choice. This may be one two-handed weapon, a one-handed weapon and some sort of shield, or a standard one-handed weapon and a dagger.  

Okay, cool.

Though...it's been awhile since I looked over the combat rules >.>

I'll go with . . . uh, how about axe and shield?

Hmmm...I think I'll take daggers, since they're what my actual character uses.

It's cool. I'll be rolling dice behind here with a rolling sim, so don't worry about that. 

Here's the structure: 

Each round has two passes. 

Each pass, you select an offensive or defensive manoeuvre based on whether you hold initiative or not (the holder of initiative is the one who gets an offensive action). 

Therefore, you have 12 CP per two passes, then your CP refreshes. 

All I need to know from you is what technique you use and how many CP you put towards it. I'll handle the rest. 

^^^ Okay.

^^ You'll just set yourself up for failure with a 1v1 using daggers, especially with no element of surprise. I suggest you take something more... primary. 

Fair point. Hang on a second, lemme go dig out the rulebook.

Alrighty-o. 

Sword and shield, then.

So, how do we decide initiative?

• edited 2012-02-13 17:28:55
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Arming sword, I presume. What kind of shield? Small shield, medium, large? 

(I suggest small, since it has the fewest negative effects while still being of good defensive benefit). 

Okay, Everest, your proficiency is mass weapon and shield. So go to that page on the rulebook. INUH, obviously your proficiency is sword and shield. 

^ Once you're both ready with your pages and stuff, I'll get to it. 

I'll go with small.

/doesn'tknowasmuchaboutweaponsashewisheshedoes

Okay, Everest, same deal with the shield? Or will you go larger? 

INUH, a small shield takes one point from your CP, leaving you with 11 to draw from. 

Same deal, sure.

Righty-o, so you both have a total of 11 CP after shields are taken into effect. 

Now, each of you choose a stance. You can go neutral, which doesn't alter your CP. Otherwise, you may go aggressive (+2 CP to offensive actions, -2 CP to defensive actions) or defensive (the reverse). This does not decide initiative, but this can be used to make your intentions clear, fake out your adversary or whatever. Tactics, yo. 

After both of you have posted your stance (and not a moment beforehand), each of you send me a PM with the word "red" or "white" in it. "Red" means you wish to take initiative, where "white" means you wish to defend. But remember, only do this after both of you have posted your stances. 

Aggressive.

Aggressive. I've always preferred rushdown tactics.

Alright. 

Everest throws red and INUH throws white. 

Everest, select an offensive technique and decide upon the amount of dice you're doing to put into it. You're at +2 CP for a total of 13 this round. 

Cut for 7 from CP. What are the directions, again, and how much do they add/subtract to the roll?

Directions don't modify the roll, but they can decide where you wound your adversary. Choose a target, which is really the only relevant thing (although some targets modify rolls. Smaller targets impose a penalty, larger or closer ones give a bonus.)

• edited 2012-02-13 17:46:47
    Has friends besides tanks now

Okay. So I'll aim at his shoulder.