If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Riddle of Steel

Comments

• No rainbow star

MadassAlex: Your "Drive: To smith the best sword" is one I'll accept, because it's specific enough.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Fair enough. 

• No rainbow star

So passion... What he loves to do... What pushes him forward...

A passion for forging blades (since smithing is too general)? =/ It's hard to think of a passion for him

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

A passion for creation in the heat of the forge?

Then it's not just smithing, sort of, as he's trying to create something when he smiths, not just make a sword or anything

What if he had a passion for trying out new designs?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't know- sometimes, there can be art in remaking old designs.

A passion for perfecting something i dunno

Well, "new design" doesn't necessarily mean "new shape". It can refer to the more subtle aspects of weaponsmithing that most people overlook, like blade cross-section. 

Yeah, but sometimes, the old designs are still workable, they just need tweaking and then bam, they're better than ever

• No rainbow star

Passion: To experiment and create a style of sword that would be unique to him (as in he's the only one who can make swords like that, not that they are custom made for his style of fighting)?

• edited 2012-02-06 22:39:47
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Old designs are generally given a technology update to make them workable, thus the continued use of the short sword. I mean, if you were to compare a late medieval and Roman short sword, you'd find the following:

The former is longer, made of better steel and has a diamond cross-section for thrusting. It also had a longer crossguard, and may even have a bit of extra hand space on the hilt. It will taper more heavily. The Roman sword is of a lenticular cross-section, shorter, probably made of iron or primitive steel and has no hand protection. 

The two weapons are the same basic shape and size, but the latter one uses less obvious, more "internal" changes to improve the older one's function. 

^ That'll work. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

This thread is two and a half months old and we still haven't started. ._.

Literally all we need, mechanically, is for Icalasari to assign points to his Spiritual Attributes, right?

And can we set up a combat demo soon, if not with Ica and Cygan's characters?

Yeah, although I'm hesitant to use your or INUH's characters because their skill and proficiency allotment means they won't provide a diverse demonstration of the system. Cygan and Ica's sword-based, high-commitment builds will give a better look at how combat works. 

I was thinking more along the lines of generic pre-made characters that you could come up with, as opposed to just pitting our characters against the others.

Also, what do you mean by high-commitment builds for Cygan and Ica, as opposed to INUH's and mine?

Basically, they put more points into less proficiencies. You and INUH have more generalist characters. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I only took one proficiency :V

Then you put less points into less proficiencies. :U

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    But that's the opposite of what you said :V

well

shaddap

that's my explanation

I wouldn't have thought my build was "generalist"; I pumped as many points as possible into one thing and used the leftovers to boost what you already gave everyone.

• No rainbow star
    And I already said the points I gave the spiritual attributes multiple times

My apologies; I see now that you posted them last page, and you've sorted out the focuses, so . . . sweet.

Can Icalasari and I try out the combat system in the thread, since apparently IRC is outta the question?

Yep.

Awesome

as a reminder, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40610858/charsheet.rtf <--- here is my character sheet

or not 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58891476/charsheet (1).rtf <--- this one has the 7 in Longsword :C

Aye aye. 

Fuck, I don't even know.

Let me redo the sheet.

I just copypasta'd in the end.

Um, I don't suppose I can go through and strike off some of the skills in the skill packet, or at least lower them, to make her more in line with her characterization?

Lower scores are better, as you recall. 

Try not to strike out skills where possible, but keep everything in balance. The numbers should all add up to their current total value, but I'm happy for you to rearrange some points. 

I recall that? How are lower skills better?