If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Skyrim

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Lydia vanished without a trace in my playthrough. One minute she was there, then I turned around and never saw her again.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Check Dragonreach and, if you have one, your house.
  • Glaives are better.
    Because someone has to post this.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ I've been to both many times since. She was not at either. And I searched for a body for a long time.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Lydia mysteriously took a dual casted ice spike to the back in my game.
    I blame her for standing in front of the dragon.
  • No rainbow star
    So I'm doing the In My Time of Need

I don't feel like doing a triple cross (although getting 1000 profit WOULD be nice, my character is a thief. Once pickpocketing is at a decent level I can just pickpocket the woman for her jewelery) or even a double cross

So what do I do?

Kill the bandit leader or hand over the woman?

I'm sided with the imperials (for now), am a Khajiit with a nasty melee attack (I've two shotted the guards so far), have fine steel armour, steel boots, ironhand gauntlets, a horned steel helmet, a fire spell, enough magika to summon a Flame Atronach, I have Lydia following me, a scroll to create an explosive fire ball, I can use Fus (sadly not Roh or Dah yet), 130 health, healing spells, and a ton of potions
  • So I just got it for Christmas and mucked around for a bit and finally made a solid character the other day.

Holy crap I'm like overwhelmed. XD I'm like level 11 and am a mage/thief with a slight leaning towards mage, but I'm really squishy.

I just wanna put it out there that I love this iteration of the Thieves Guild best out of the other games.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ My two characters are a Khajiit that is a thief/mage with some melee (only because those claws rip apart anything they touch) and an argonian mage

So far the Khajiit's perks are a little all over (a bit in one handed - if I find a melee weapon better than my claws... - a bit in smithing, bit in speech, bit in heavy armour, bit in sneak, bit in lock picking, bit in destruction... I'm considering using the console to remove all the perks and give me back the points so I can properly rig him)

The argonian has no perks yet due to being level 1 (khajiit is level 8). If I remove the Khajiit's perks and give him his points back, what would be the recommending layout, considering his thief/mage/rend flesh and metal alike with his claws layout?
  • So I'm doing the In My Time of Need

I don't feel like
    doing a triple cross (although getting 1000 profit WOULD be nice, my
    character is a thief. Once pickpocketing is at a decent level I can just
    pickpocket the woman for her jewelery) or even a double cross

So what do I do?

Kill the bandit leader or hand over the woman?

You talked to the Alik'r commander yet? The lady sold out her city to the Thalmor. That makes her fair game, in my eyes.

Incidentally, how did you guys resolve The Forsworn Conspiracy in Markarth and all that followed? As for me? Viva la revolution, baby. I just couldn't bring myself to side with that asshole Silver-Blood.
  • edited 2012-01-01 10:25:33
    a little muffled
    Thonar was a dick and horribly corrupt, but on both playthroughs I ended up helping him for the sake of the people of Markarth. (Especially on my first playthrough I was a Nord and a Stormcloak so it would seem rather against my interest to side with Madanach.)
    The sides are both assholes. I went with the side that wasn't raiding the countryside and stuff.
  • a little muffled
    Yeah, exactly.
  • edited 2012-01-01 10:39:06
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Man, I need to get back to Skyrim,

Stupid Old Republic, monopolizing my game time. :v
  • a little muffled
    I haven't been playing it as much lately either. I'm running out of (easy-to-find) things to do.

I still want to finish the story on my second character though.
  • No rainbow star
    I did talk with the Alik'r commander. However, part of the issue with deciding is what would make more profit (not to mention that the guy could just be lying)
  • a little muffled
    Either of them could be lying, but I find Kematu's claim more believable. He outright says he's going to take her back to Hammerfell rather than just killing her, which makes it unlikely he's an assassin and quite likely she's actually going to be tried.
  • edited 2012-01-01 18:13:35
    No rainbow star
    Well for some reason I can't tell the guy her location =/

Anyways, trying out the Trouble in Skyrim quest right now

For fucks sake I keep dying, even when I summon a flame atronach AND have Lydia help me

The bandit chief keeps just waltzing up and killing me in one or two shots

:<

Edit: And I spoke too soon

Solution: Use my fireball scroll on the bandit leader. Use Fus on the bandits right when they come up the ramp. Use summon flame atronach spell while Lydia holds them off. Join in with some flames while the atronach finishes the bastards off. Go over to the nearly dead Lydia and heal her after :D

Edit 2: NOW I see why I kept dying! After saving and hitting my artonach to see what would happen, I exploded into flame shortly after and realized that it was oil. Reloading to the save I had just made, I looked up and saw one of those oil filled lantern bombs!
  • a little muffled
    You're not supposed to tell him her location, what you have to do is convince her to follow you out of Whiterun at night.
  • edited 2012-01-01 18:27:26

Played more of Skyrim.  Beat the College of Winterhold questline.  Was... anticlimactic.  This game really doesn't do well when it's trying to be cinematic.  Loot was decent though.

Also, trying to play as a purely magic character sucks.  Running out of magicka all the time and all.  Fortunately, I'm getting closer to being able to cast every destruction spell for free due to enchantments, but it'll still be a bit before I can really do that.

Dragons suck.  They aren't even usually very hard to kill, but they're a huge annoyance.  They seem roughly as annoying as the Oblivion gates in Oblivion (albeit much less time-consuming) except without getting any good rewards.

I like the fact that Skyrim seems to have something resembling actual boss fights.  I don't like the fact that they mostly seem really boring, but it's at least an improvement from Oblivion, which really only had the fight with Mankar Camoran, and even that mostly just felt like a normal fight. 

• Has friends besides tanks now
    I'm still at level 12-14, and I'm kinda plinking away at everything with my archer. Fighting the ice troll on my way to High Hrothgar was actually pretty fun--let Lydia get smacked around while I get it with arrows, then run to the other side and keep firing while it comes at me so slowly again, then run the other way, then watch Lydia go at it only to get knocked down in one hit again--but it's getting sort of annoying that I'm doing so little damage. Oh, and dragons are still a bitch, with their flying around in the air so far away. Then again, I just got the perk that slows time when I zoom, so that should make it a lot easier. And I've still been using steel/iron arrows, even though I've gained lots of Ancient Nord and Orcish arrows, and some Forsworn arrows. I feel like that would make a difference. And I have a couple shouts, including the really neat Whirlwind Sprint.

Pretty fun, so far.
  • Oh, other things:

Puzzles.  They all seem to consist of finding something that tells you what to do, and doing exactly what it says.  If there is ever a need for any particular items or spells in order to pass some obstacle, the game provides you with them right near where you need them, even if there's no way you could possibly not be able to do it (see:all the times the game gives you a spell tome for Flames so you can use it on whatever even though every character starts with the spell already).  Incidentally, there was actually one pretty fun part of one of the Winterhold College dungeons where the spell the game provided was not actually enough for me to get through the part, thus requiring that I actually put some thought into it and do it a different way.  And, you know, it would be cool if that was something that they actually let you do normally and it didn't just arise due to an oversight by the game developers.

Much like in Oblivion, your character is psychic.  Many important details of quests are revealed to you not through NPCs or through your character observing anything, but through the game interface telling you things before you should have any business knowing them.

Things I do like:

Enchanting is cool.  I like it a lot more here than in Oblivion.  The fact that you can buy filled grand soul gems (and they aren't even very expensive) kind of cheapens it though.

Your character does a hadouken type animation when they doublecast spells, which is cool.

Dwemer dungeons are cool looking.

Leveling system isn't completely terrible.

• edited 2012-01-01 19:57:18
    a little muffled
    I haven't bothered to do the free spells thing and I find myself running out of Magicka rarely enough that potions can handle it when it's a problem. Part of that is because I mostly stick to using Apprentice spells even though I have Expert, since they're more efficient for Impact-locking things.

Ia agree the quest log telling you where everything is is a bit dumb, especially for certain objectives (finding a clue about Brand-Shei's past, for example) which you'd have absolutely no way of knowing where to look.
    Yeah, I actually like it when games don't have quest pointers at all, instead just giving you convenient but plausible ways of finding your way around.
  • edited 2012-01-01 20:19:49
    I do actually like the quest pointers, when some previous part of the quest actually did tell you where you're supposed to be going or who you're supposed to be looking for or whatever.  It's a little silly when there is no such indication though, and your character seemingly just makes wild yet completely accurate guesses on their own.  Also, fast travel locations disappearing from a map is a sure sign that something is going on there, even if you should have absolutely no reason to think that you wouldn't be able to go to that location (which, at least in the instance that I'm thinking of, really didn't need to even happen in the first place, so it was kind of just a big spoiler for no real reason).  Though I'm not sure if that occurs more than once in the game.
  • a little muffled
    The only time I remember fast travel locations disappearing was in the battles for cities in the civil war; when else did it happen?
    Stuff like the [college] vanishing near the end of its questline because it's temporarily inaccessible.
  • edited 2012-01-01 20:28:56

In the [College of Winterhold] quest line.

(spoilered I guess):
    [After getting the Staff of Magnus from Labyrinthian, you have to meet with one of the wizards from the College.  However, the location on the map of the College isn't there anymore, meaning that when you go back and find that there's a barrier surrounding the College and that you can't enter it, it's completely unsurprising since you already suspected something like that by looking at the map.  Incidentally, they could have just made the barrier a bit smaller and it would still prevent actually entering the College, but wouldn't cover up the point that you fast travel to, meaning that they really didn't have to remove the map location in the first place.]

EDIT: I suck at spoilers. >.>

Also INUH was far more succint than I.

• a little muffled
    Oh, right, I remember now. That wasn't really a surprise anyway though.
  • Well, no, not really, but it doesn't change the fact that the world map tells you something before anything else in the game does.
  • I'm also wondering why there's no breath meter for when you're underwater anymore. :/