If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Who Would Win General Discussion

Comments

• They start fighting... But then Carrey!Riddler steals the show, leaving the two of them looking pretty lackluster.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Hey, no introducing outside variables!
  • "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."
    I would win General Discussion.

I would win all of it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    TV TROPES VERSUS SOMETHING AWFUL
  • Also, Kyle Katarn.
  • (I think Tv Tropes is losing.)
  • TV Tropes lost the moment they killed IJBM.

And yet, here we are.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Wait, does that mean we're all zombies?
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Now I want to make everyone use zombies as avatars.

-No, Everest, no! Bad idea! Bad!-
  • Either that or buff men that transform into anthropomorphic animals.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Which version of Arthur?  I mean, there's so many different
    interpretations that which one was taking part would make all the
    difference between close fought battle and Link being curbstomped.
    >.>

Woo, I'm late. Anyway.

Let's assume the late Middle Ages version of the tale. This is the one from the era of chivalry and plate armour that everyone thinks of when they're not referencing Monty Python. First, let's compare the swords.

Excalibur is a pipeline to God that only follows Arthur's commands while he remains virtuous. It delivers unto him the skill to overcome any adversary, and will never break or tarnish. This sword is a longsword, which is a late medieval, light, two-handed sword.

The Master Sword is the sword of evil's bane. Like Excalibur, it's immune to damage, but is essentially a mundane sword against non-evil entities. This weapon has gone through various interpretations. For instance, Skyward Sword footage makes it clear that it's a longsword, with enough hilt length for easy use in two hands while still being light enough for one. During Ocarina, though, it's quite obviously a one-hander.

Arthur has the better weapon, by virtue of its more advanced technical design and its most holistic application. Link's Master Sword is shorter, more difficult to control and delivers slower, less powerful blows. In addition, its power against evil is pointless against Arthur.

In fact, Arthur probably wins this one outright. Typically, Link is a country commoner type that gets chosen for his courage. That's all well and good, but he has a very specific role; to defeat the bad guy with the Master Sword. So the setting and legend provides this very specific person with very specific qualities a very specific counter to a very specific villain. Arthur, on the other hand, can be trusted to know what he's doing against a wide variety of adversaries. In the legends, he's also very skilled with dagger and spear, meaning that his combat skills have some diversity to them.

Link may be an iconic hero to us, but the fact of the matter is that he's a modern hero with modern perspectives on combat applied to him. Arthur's legend was a product of the Migration Period all the way through to the late Middle Ages, where his combat skills needed no explanation most people had a bit of an idea how this kind of thing really went. By the time we reach the late Middle Ages interpretation, the assumption is that the standard knightly martial arts, at the very least, have been applied to Arthur. This makes him far deadlier than Link, especially in single combat.

Arthur wins this one by a hefty margin, but they'd probably actually team up to kick momentous amounts of ass.
  • Zombie avatar theme for Halloween week? Sounds good.
  • The MegaZord vs Godzilla!
  • a little muffled
    I was going to say use the kids vs zombies avatars, but thinking about it I don't think anyone else who was in on that is active here.
  • edited 2011-10-30 19:08:16
    I suggest plants as avatars instead.
  • Silence is golden.
    Sgt. Duvall vs Tobias Bruckner go go go.
  • edited 2011-10-30 19:13:03
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^^^^Isn't that assuming Link would fight fair and not use a tool to paralyze King Arthur from a distance or set him on fire from a distance?

As for Superman Vs. Goku.

Superman. End of story. I think people fail to realize that the underpowered Byrne-era Superman is still at about the level of SS3 Goku, and in the Silver Age he's pretty much a physical god. He's also significantly smarter than Goku who who is shown to be genuinely naive and lunk-headed, not to mention his variety of powers. Oh you've got energy beams and teleportation? Ahahahaha cute. I've got superspeed, x-ray vision, heat rays, literal invulnerability, ice breath, flight, and can breathe in space. It should also be noted that Goku mentioned he's more awkward fighting in the air, a disadvantage Superman's never stated. Superman might have a bit of trouble with ki blasts if you want to argue that they're magic but most of the useful ones take too long to be of any use.

Much like Link and King Arthur they'd probably end up teaming up but they'd have to do the Comic Book mix-up thing where the initially think the other is the bad guy.
    J.C. Denton versus Commander Shepard.
  • edited 2011-10-30 19:16:30
    You can change. You can.
    You know, you could have just said that superman in invulnerable unless there's kryptonite involved, wheras Goku is...well, not invulnerable, really.

That, plus the fact that they seem to be equal in terms of speed and force and...well, there you go.

^I wouldn't fight Shepard. :P
  • edited 2011-10-30 19:20:09
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    With the exception of Instantaneous Movement, Goku really isn't portrayed as inhumanly fast as Superman is. He's fast, yeah, but the dude can't use it to time travel or even do the 'punt you twenty miles but be behind you to punt you again' trick.

Come to think of it, I'd also like to see a lighthearted Superman team up with Goku as a child while they fought Luthor and the Red Ribbon army.
  • edited 2011-10-30 19:19:54
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    @Juan:Yes, but he's a normal human (well, biologically), while J.C. Denton has a lot of (possible, not all at once) superpowers.

Says a lot about Shepard that I had to pick someone with superpowers to go up against him.
  • edited 2011-10-30 19:20:28
    a little muffled
    @Abyss_Worm: Here, I'll compromise.

Edit@INUH: Shepard also has superpowers, if you pick a biotic class.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Isn't that assuming Link would fight fair and not use a tool to
    paralyze King Arthur from a distance or set him on fire from a distance?

The initial conditions stated that each combatant only has their signature sword.
  • You can change. You can.
    @INUH: Erm, it was a joke based on the initials. 

Which I just realized is way too obtuse >_>

@Malkavian:Welp, there's that too, I guess. Although from what I remember of Dragon Ball, the warriors hyperspeed was often mistaken for true teleportation (Which Goku was able to perform, but which demanded concentration and blah blah)

Also, Halloween theme?
  • a little muffled
    @INUH: Erm, it was a joke based on the initials. 

Which I just realized is way too obtuse >_>
    I got it.

• edited 2011-10-30 19:28:10
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^^^Ah, good point...

And come to think of it, a tech-focused Shepard could probably turn Denton's augments off, at least temporarily...

So basically, if Shepard took pure combat, Denton wins; if he took tech, Shepard wins. Not quite sure about biotic!Shep.

^^I'm being dense, apparently...
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Dracula Vs. Freddy Krueger.

The respective Villain sues of their horrror era!

Freddy as defined in the initial film and Dracula as defined in the novel.
    Freddy. Because Dracula is powerless in the dream realm, i suppose.

Hasn't been tested, at least.
    Depends. Does Dracula dream?
    Also a good point. But then, Freddy only manifests in dreams, doesn't he?

So...it'd be like some sort of impasse.