If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I am not ready to quit TV Tropes yet

Comments

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-09 10:35:37
    I dislike the idea of insulting people because they have different sensibilities than you. Especially something like this, which isn't exactly 100% bad.
  • edited 2011-08-09 10:38:35
    Cue-bey
    But according to Norn it is 82% bad, which seems like high enough of a margin.

How the hell did he calculate that again?
  • edited 2011-08-09 10:39:10
    You can change. You can.
    No, just 80% :p

I don't think that wanting to keep TT is an insult, per se. It's the rationale and the arguments that you use for it that will define how I judge you.

^Reading the entries and playing the stats game. 
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    It's not about insulting, it's about offending. I can insult you, but, do I mean to offend you?
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-09 10:39:37
    JC: Yeah. That, pretty much.

Vandro: fair enough.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Can someone edit the crowner to tell people that this stuff'll be moved
    to an outside wiki if the motion passes and TT gets deleted? It should
    help to inform the people who are just coming in here, not reading the
    thread, and voting based on the crowner.

Madrugada told us that doing that would be cheating or something and
    she'd ban the first one to do so.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
  • FYI, "cheating" in this context means altering the crowner after people have already cast their votes.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    i.e. updating it with relevant information is 'cheating'.
  • Well, if you look at it from their perspective, it essentially means that people who voted under certain impressions are now having their vote changed against their consent.

• And yet, people who vote for it to stay get twice the votes of someone who wants it to leave.

This is fair because you don't have to read the thread at all and can vote based on crowners right?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Well, if you look at it from their perspective, it essentially means that people who voted under certain impressions are now having their vote changed against their consent.

Nobody's having their votes changed :| It's updating the pros and cons list.

Anyway, my posts are just... being ignored. Fuck that, I spent hours crawling through Troper Tales to help out.
  • You can change. You can.
    Like I said, so few are reading the thread. Mostly because the discussion has been all in favor of deleting TT. hey know they're at disadvantage and are not gonna bother with it. 
    My posts are still ignored :(
  • It happens. I think right now, people are debating semantics anyway.
  • edited 2011-08-09 11:08:20
    Belief
    Disregard.
  • So long as you leave that word out, you should be fine. You might want to use the term "contradictory responses" or sometihng.
    Welp, we got the info we wanted in the headline

If someone asks for arguments regarding TT's quality, I shall link to Cygan, Ninjaclown and Bound by the Moon's posts. 
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Not my posts?  I did the same thing... ;_;
    You too. And Nornagest and Thatguythere.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-09 11:16:49
    Damn it. Why do people who I disagree with for other reasons seem to be the ones who argue for troper tales?
  • Reminds me of the kid I knew who never turned in a single homework, and got a 100% or something close enough on the precalc exam.

Or something.

He was a twit.
  • edited 2011-08-09 11:31:55
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    It just occurred to me that some people think that "There Is No Such Thing As Notability" and "We are not a stuffy encyclopedic wiki. We're a buttload more informal.
    We encourage breezy language and original thought." mean "You can do whatever the fuck you want."

It's pretty obvious, so I wonder why I didn't notice this until now.
    That's not what it means at all though. It just means we don't have rigidly defined rules and we don't tell you what you're allowed to d as long as it's on-topic and not violating rules and etc.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    And No Such Thing As Notability applies to works only. Troper Tales are not works by ANY stretch of the imagination.
    Which I'd say it's not good, but whatever, we all know that's not gonna go away. 
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's easier to have Troper Tales than people mucking up the main pages' "Real-Life" sections, which is for history and news only. What started as an outlet has gotten out of control. Give an inch, they take a mile. This is why we can't have nice things and all that.
  • edited 2011-08-09 11:50:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    If I were Fast Eddie, knowing all the issues that Troper Tales has generated or been involved in, I would have:

1. Early on, told someone to set up an external wiki, including securing the being allowed to host massively NSFW content.

2. Once that site is live, announce that the namespace will be deleted, and Main/TroperTales will be replaced with a short article saying that the section used to be here but we have gotten rid of it, and it has moved offsite to [link].

3. Not paid for external wiki's hosting, but made sure that I kept an advisory position in the staff at the new Troper Tales wiki so that I could influence their policies if it would serve the main TVT site well.
This discussion has been closed.