If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Chagen had done the same things on TV Tropes, on a more hellish level than here. If it wasn't for the counter operative antics of some of the delightful people on the Touhou thread, he would probably still be there for a bit longer.

Everything we've ever said to him on there has been said a thousand times back on TV Tropes everytime he threw a shitstorm in an incest anime thread, or something pertaining to weeaboos, otaku, any religion he does not like, any fans, idealists, intellectuals, groups or factions he does not like.

He was more contradictive and hypocritical on there too, and I even tried helping him for a couple months and getting people to quit ragging on him, but he's like a Pyro with Team Kill Mode on. He doesn't give a shit who he burns when he's angry, hell, he throws blankets and nets everywhere, and fires generalization cannons like a tripod.

He's more hypocritical than I am, and I though that was impossible to even accomplish. One moment he's bisexual, the other he's straight and alienating bisexuals as nyphomaniacal heathens. There was absolutely no way that you could defend him or help him without him waking up the next day and forgetting all of the advice and warnings you told him...
    Or you could make him dance for your entertainment. Would he be desperate enough to do a IJBM mod challenge? Who knows!

• You can change. You can.
    "0. Don't be a jerk or an idiot. Keep an open mind. This website is for discussing things."

That alone will kick this site fairly hard in the balls (sorry, guys, but there is a LOT of snark here). But ideally a site would be able to do that most of the time.

I think you're confusing snark with being a jerk or an idiot there, Everest. there's nothing wrong with some lighthearted snark, and even sometimes, with some of the blunt kind (Let's be honest, even some of the moderators themselves have engaged in some of it)

I believe that this rule isn't necessary, as it's both redundant (Gee, we don't like insulting nor idiotic posts, who woulda thunk) and nothing more than a mere mission statement. 
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:32:09
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Sorry. I don't really have a better word for how to describe it.

I agree it's redundant, though. We shouldn't need it, in light of the sixteen other rules we have.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Dickishness.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:34:13
    Well, I was trying to sugarcoat it so I don't demean IJBM's userbase than my posts already were. >_>

Sorry, everyone. I just . . . well, I wonder what it would take for some things to stop, and I don't know how I could safely test that.
  • @Cygan: The evolution of words is a beautiful thing, but since I come from a time when Dick means a private investigator, I don't believe that's very fitting for the situation at hand ^_^
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Not demeaning it if its the truth.

A lot of people act quite dickish here.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:36:41
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    4a. Do not start or continue dramafests.

I feel like this rule is kind of overlooked.  Chagen had a very long history of creating threads, entering other people's threads, and turning them into dramafests.  If it had been a one-off kind of thing, or something that was only very occasional, that's one thing.  But with Chagen, it was all the time.  I honestly believe that Chagen should have gotten his second warning ban long before this; even if he didn't directly insult other users, he would still cause massive drama.  Once or twice that I can remember, people have gotten in trouble for losing their shit over Chagen, while he got off scot-free, didn't learn a thing, and started it all over the next day.  Are those people in the right?  Not at all.  But the underlying problem is the user who keeps starting shit, day after day.

teal deer: We should pay more attention when people are consistent sources of drama.
  • A lot of people investigate a lot?

Hmmm.

Sherlock Holmes and the IJBM Forums.

• edited 2011-08-01 01:38:21
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Forzare, you're definitely right that the "don't start shit" rule is far less enforced than it should be. I'm going to pay more attention to it in the future.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:39:22
    What Forzare said. I pretty much agree entirely, but hopefully the mods can rectify that my getting rid of our insecure need to confirm decisions with other mods and PM people when they're about to be banned.

And I have no choice but to admit it's also a pretty colossal oversight on my part.

If we had done a better job of enforcing that rule, I might not feel as bad at the prospect of keeping Chagen banned for good. Not that we are, but I think it would help the forum, honestly.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    our insecure need to confirm decisions with other mods
    This, really, has been the root of all our problems.
    I don't see how consulting your actions with the rest is precisely bad, unless it is done slowly. 
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:41:32
    >done slowly

That be the problem, Juan. We don't have enough mods on at the right hours for a quick decision to be made.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Now seems like a good a time as any to start enforcing that rule.

Chagen was the first.  He probably won't be the last.  Is it easy to ban users who have been around for a long time?  No.  But we have to take into account the quality of the site.  Banning people who do nothing but bring the site down can only help.
  • Clean your room little Billy
    Huh, I wonder if the folks at Entries That Make You Go Wut have covered reviews yet...
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Also, would anyone be upset if I continue addressing problem posters as I have here and refrain from sugarcoating bullshit? I think it would help if that was common policy for mods, rather than just going "guys, quit it. Locking.", or "Thumped" as the sole answer apart from bannination.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:45:31
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Yeah, they have, I think.  They've gotten a few of the more stupid/trollish ones cut.

^ I wouldn't.  I think that kind of more forceful, direct moderation is what the site really needs.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:47:11
    You can change. You can.
    They have. Lots of time, actually.

@Everest: Ah. 

Well, the thing is, I don't like much the idea of a moderator acting unilaterally without any other input, you know? I trust each one of you buuut, well, that way madness lies, you know?

Also, I agree with the idea that the site needs some tighter moderation.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:47:01
    If that don't work, use more gun.
    ^^^Nah.  It'll most likely help the site out.  Sometimes, bluntness is needed.

^^^^Yeah, they have.  Some of the reviews they showcased actually got deleted.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:48:15
    Well, the thing is, I don't like much the idea of a moderator
    acting unilaterally without any other input, you know? I trust each one
    of you buuut, well, that way madness lies, you know?

You can always unban someone if the rest of the mod team disagrees, I suppose.

But even if you wait until the mod team congregates to ban, you can still notify the user that their posting status is being debated, and that they might be banned.  Even if they aren't banned in the end, that kind of close call might cause them to think a little more about what they post.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Everest: Sounds better to me.

Honestly, the only issue I can find is if there's a definite conflict of interest, like a mod being particularly political, but I don't see that coming up.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:51:21
    "I think that kind of more forceful, direct moderation is what the site really needs."

Me too. I'd rather not have to kidney punch the forum, or break its nose, when a backhand would suffice. On that note, I don't think it should be frowned upon to say if you dislike someone, rather than gradually and continually implying it; it might help them to rein themselves in. Or drive them away, if they're that detrimental.

^^^^ I understand that. I think if comes down to how much the mods should be trusted to fill their roles like they were expected to. Doubt is not an unforgivable answer; we're all pretty green.

"You can always unban someone if the rest of the mod team disagrees, I suppose."

I've considered bringing that up to the other mods, but I don't know why I didn't.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I also think that if a precedent for more forceful moderation were set, the users would improve on their own.  As it stands now, I don't think anyone is really afraid of getting banned for misbehavior.
    You can always unban someone if the rest of the mod team disagrees, I suppose.

A ban is a ban, regardless of whether it was revoked or not. It still leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the involved.

I think that warnings might be useful, actually. As it is, I'm fairly sure most of the bannings/almost bans happen because the people in question don't notice they're being dicks until it's too late.
  • teal deer: We should pay more attention when people are consistent sources of drama.

I like it when people said things I'm too shy to say, and better.
    I think that warnings might be useful, actually.

These are already in use.
  • edited 2011-08-01 01:56:18
    You can change. You can.
    I also think that if a precedent for more forceful moderation were set, the users would improve on their own. As it stands now, I don't think anyone is really afraid of getting banned for misbehavior.

Oh come on, didn't we have Soti Coto, Vivi and Chagen banned in the recent months? I'd say that the problem lies somewhere else, tbh

^I'm aware.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Would dispensing with PM warnings and posting the warnings for all to see help shame people into behaving? Or is the thought of shaming people into proper behavior pushing it?

/paradigm shift in the works; I wanna know my boundaries
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Why not just apply STFU bans/Probations/Tempbans like most other sites? If somebody is being stupid you can ban them for an hour or until you think they cooled down, and then unban them.