If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• edited 2011-07-31 21:45:06
    You can change. You can.
    Chagen, dude, let's be honest...

You're being annoying. If you don't like it, it's understandable, but...seriously

Oh, everpoo, you're my hero. ^_^
  • So, SA, they're a pretty cool bunch ehhh?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I hate it when people dismiss an entire site as neckbeards, weeaboos, pedophiles and autistic chasers, only to vehemently lash out at the very mentioning of the site they said wasn't worth a fuck to them...this applies to both TVT and SA. They are both good sites.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    OT: I am in the same situation.  I would join SA, but I don't have a card or anything yet, so I can't, really.
  • Clean your room little Billy

I'm not paying for use of any forum anytime soon, but I've browsed the threads available to non-paying guests, and I can see the appeal.

Everyone on TVT is slowly but surely leaving ;_;

Activity on the site seems to be as frequent as it ever was, but we're missing a large chunk of the old guard. Shame, really.

• I've actually considered it myself, mainly because I've found that their Punchsport Pagoda threads are some of the best ways to keep up with the current goings-on in Pro Wrestling.

I'll most likely refrain from dropping $10.00 for it until I actually feel like I have something worthwhile to say, though. I'm satisfied just lurking for now.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Same here. 
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I've considered it for a long time. The only thing stopping me was a lack of funds. But now that I do have some spare cash...
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "I always did like Everest."

O hai Shlapintogan! I don't recall us ever actually introducing ourselves, but glad to meet you.
    I thought INUH declared that we can't do that cross site communication thing?
    We can as long as we keep it civil.
    That last thread was perfectly civil until Chagen showed up...Okay yeah I get your point.
  • edited 2011-07-31 22:21:38
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^^ I would've said as long as it doesn't devolve into users here flinging shit at SA, it's fine, but what GLORIOUS said works too.

Granted, I don't approve of some of the goons in that thread keeping it up with the Chagen-bashing, but we can't really stop them from viewing this site, and I wouldn't want to do that anyway. Besides, they have their rules, we have ours; it's the same reason we didn't permaban Chagen for that FSTDT incident way back when.

The rules forbid importing drama, not communication period. I'd like to hope we don't warp the definition of "importing drama".
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, my problem was that an argument between the two sites looked to be starting. That's bad. If we conversed in a nonconfrontational manner cross-site, that'd be pretty cool.
  • edited 2011-07-31 22:21:35
    Incidentally, on the SA forums

"I think what never ceases to amaze me about TVTropes is that as a whole they have this incredibly narrow definition of "enjoyment" that it pretty much dooms them to only loving anime and young adult novels. Like, okay, we all have books or movies or music we don't like (the Diary of Anne Frank can go die in a fire), but just because I didn't enjoy reading something doesn't mean it has no literary merit. 

The way TVTropes digests media is based entirely on "did I like reading it? Yes or no answer, please." There's no "Well it was kind of hard to read and the ending wasn't the most satisfying thing but overall I really liked what it did" or "The writing was kind of dry but I liked the characters." It's all cut and dry, cold reading, did you like that book? No? Then I guess it sucks.

They hide behind "we're just doing this for fun" as a way to never actually analyze a work beyond the pure enjoyment they got from it, as if it can't be fun debating the "finer" points of a book, or even really explaining why you didn't like a book beyond "my high school teacher made me read it and it cut into my anime time"

That's very weird, because I've never felt that TvTropes was anti-literature at all. Granted, books that aren't Harry Potter or Discworld are underrepresented on the wiki, but you won't find that many people who hate literature on principle. I myself am a voracious reader, and I know several people on the forum who are the same.

Granted, back on the old IJBM there were some agressively stupid people who thought that all books sucked, but one of them has been banned since then, and the other stopped posting.

Then again, we are in the weird position where you are more likely to read the wiki a lot than I am, but I still think your views are a little odd.
  • edited 2011-07-31 22:26:19
    ^^ You mean like when C(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The
    way TVTropes digests media is based entirely on "did I like reading it?
    Yes or no answer, please." There's no "Well it was kind of hard to read
    and the ending wasn't the most satisfying thing but overall I really
    liked what it did" or "The writing was kind of dry but I liked the
    characters." It's all cut and dry, cold reading, did you like that book?
    No? Then I guess it sucks.

Wait, what? Don't most tropers put a huge emphasis on "subjectivity"?
    ^^Indeed, I don't think anyone is saying that if they don't like a book it's utterly worthless. Except maybe a certain someone that WILL not be named.
    I also feel that there needs to be broader musical tastes in the Music subsection. But maybe that's just me. 
  • Mind you, there's always some stupid kid bitching about how he had to read Animal Farm and how it's the worst book ever, but if you want a site with a lot of that, just read some Amazon reviews.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I liked Animal Farm!  :D
  • Can I get a link to where this cross-posting is happening?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I think the idea is basically that if you pay to post there, you'll check yourself before you wreck yourself so you don't waste you money.
  • edited 2011-07-31 22:32:08
    SA: you missed a certain thread about                that was deleted after 10 replies and 5 minutes.
  • @Malk: Are you gonna make a check your body can't cash?!?!
  • Oh man, cross forum communication with Something Awful. I wonder at what point we'll have collectively leached off $10 worth of use of their forum.

Interesting idea, anyway. If I had any money of my own I'd register an account just to lurk, as they seem to have a lot of good stuff on there.
  • edited 2011-07-31 22:35:32
    Maple Leaf/Obligatory Toast: Thanks for the heads-up.
    Well you can lurk for free. You just can access old threads and search for stuff. Though you do get locked out every once in a while for whatever reasons.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I should buy an account.
  • edited 2011-07-31 22:35:38
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^ You also see certain curse words through a word filter, but it's easy enough to figure out what was actually said.