If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• edited 2011-08-01 02:23:10
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^^ That's where case-by-case rules fixes probably come in, but sometimes (like with Chagen) it would help to revoke that privilege, and at any other time it might be a nice deterrent to firebrands.

^^ So I guess next up is to figure out what else comes with this package.
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:22:56
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I don't think that probation should just be "Unallowing to create
    threads", myself, but as it is, that's really the only privilege that
    comes to mind that can be taken away without making being such a bitch.

Hmmm...would there be a way to limit posts per hour or somesuch for the Probation role?
  • I don't think they should be inclusive or entwined, but can be exclusive depending on the rules broken. Like, threadshitting can rake up a Warning and Possible Probation, while being overtly hostile to other users can be answered with a week ban first, instead of a warning, depending on the extremity of the rule broken, or how many times it has occurred.

Warning > Probation > Permanent Probation
       v                                           v
    Week Ban > Month Ban > Half-Year Ban/Permanent Ban

So like you can jump from a warning to a ban depending on how bad your behavior is, or you could get put in the "stupid cart" for doing multiple stupid-but-not-that-horrible things.
  • You can change. You can.
    @Cygan: I added warnings because they make sense they should come first. They shouldn't add to a person's rap sheet, of course. 
  • Hmmm...would there be a way to limit posts per hour or somesuch for the Probation role?

Spamblock prevents a user from posting for 2-5 minutes, and is a timed action built into Vanilla. Perhaps that can be written into a button for mods, who can press the "probation" button to prevent them from posting threads or replying to threads for a day or so.
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:28:24
    IJBM: I want to work with MisaAmane's diagram, since it has a nice structure that I don't entirely agree with, but it would be really complex and I'd get ninja'd out the ass.
  • Well, permanent probation, with the previous example I made, would almost be like a ban anyway, except you can read the forum and edit your posts and draw on things with Goggles, while also checking messages and posting in the activity section..
    I think that we shouldn't take away normal posting from a probation account. 
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I think that we shouldn't take away normal posting from a probation account. 

But maybe we could limit it?  Only five posts an hour, or some other rate to be determined later?
    Oh, I thought we agreed in doing that. 
  • The nitpicker in me wants to point out that reading the forum and drawing with Goggles are things that you can do even if you're banned, but I'm not sure that adds anything to conversation.
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:41:32
    What I would do:

Warning > Weekban> Permanent Probation

|                                     ^             \
       v                                     |               \
    Month Ban + Weeklong Probation | Permanent Ban

Of course, this might have to adjust case-by-case, but I like the look of it. Anyone have any contentions to share?
    How long does the first probation last?
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-08-01 02:36:48
    GAAAH WHY AM I HERE.

Anywho, (and it's probably worth noting I skipped most of the last two pages), I agree that the enforcement of most of the rules around here is way too lenient, and that sometimes, certain users are just given too many tries to keep screwing up. Also, Forzare is right on the money as far as rule 4a goes.

@Daionus: Vorpy's female.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Oh, I thought we agreed in doing that.
    I dunno, no one but Vorpy Misa said anything about it.

@Everest: I think that could work.
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:38:28
    I structured it to keep it so that posters only get two chances. Sorry; I meant for that to be permanent probation.

But no, that's flawed; there are fewer steps to permabanning on the weeklong path than the monthlong.
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:37:47
    You can change. You can.
    oh hay, sexy. long time no see. 

^Ah, OK. If so, I agree. 
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:40:07
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    +1 for Everest's bannination map.

Hmmm... Do we need the branches?  Or could we just jump into monthlong ban?

also o hai Bob
  • I'm in agreement with this.

...do you think we can make the bashing of Shuffle! a permanently bannable offense though?
  • ..."Shuffle!"?
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:40:47
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I vote we cut the middleground out and just put everyone on permanent probation. Problem solved.

why did i post this
    :<
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    HAY BOB!

Also, never mind about that oversight; I'll fix the map.
  • why did i post this
    THAT'S MY SHTICK
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "Hmmm... Do we need the branches?  Or could we just jump into monthlong ban?"

I liked Misa's idea of certain offenses being worth more, and jumping to harsher bans when people do stupider things.

Here's the fixed map.
    But no, that's flawed; there are fewer steps to permabanning on the weeklong path than the monthlong.

How about this:
                      Week long ban -> week long Probation 
                   /                                                            \
    Warning                                                                     Permaban
                   \
                     Month long Ban -> Month long Probation /
  • edited 2011-08-01 02:44:00
    @Everest That does look better.  And after thinking about it, I can agree with different offenses being worth more.

+1
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-08-01 02:44:25
    Heartily approving the fixed map.

Vorsa: Oh.

Oh dear god, why does the purple-haired pigtail girl's hair bother me so much?

^Also agreeing with this.
    On second thought, Everest's fixed map works a lot better. 

Stupid ninja.