If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General writing discussion.

Comments

• He uses Nordic/Germanic/Celtic motifs in his fighting style, uses a bow and arrow, and tries to emulate those kinds of warriors.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Does it make sense in the setting? Make sure it doesn't come across as too anachronistic.
  • It's is a very odd Fantasy setting. He certainly fits in the setting.

It's for a incredibly strange fighting game idea I have. I'll post the plot concept later.
    If it's a fantasy setting, then it's a lot more sensible. So is the whole national pride thing; for many people, the place they were born was their major allegiance.
  • The whole story has to deal with 24 countries. I'll expand more later.

This is a very unserious game, by the way. It's all about bright and optimistic comedy here.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-20 10:56:47
    My versions of race tend to be much sloppier.

I just go "You know what this story needs? Irish Asians who run an italian-esque mafia, only instead they act like gangsters! ALL OF THEM!"

"AND THEY WILL BE RELATED TO NOMADIC ARABS WITH RUSSIAN ACCENTS AND JEDI BRAIDS!"
  • I've noticed that nearly all of my characters are of one-race. Biracial people basically don't exist in my works. Even though I am Biracial.
    I tend to identify characters via their culture moreso than race. I don't think I've really thought about it that much.
  • @Alex. Time to bring up Extra credits about Race?
    Please do!
  • You can change. You can.
    IJBM: Extra credits in general. >.>
  • If you want to start a topic of debate, Me and Alex would gladly intellectually force you to come to your senses ^_^
    (By posting Extra Credits videos)
  • You can change. You can.
    It bugs me because my listening English skills suck and I don't understand them. Same goes to Yahtzee

(And I disagree with them on pacing and how it works, but I admit that's a subjective matter)
  • Their definition of pacing is really thought out, but if you want to present your views on it, we're willing to listen and debate.

(by posting Extra Credits videos)
  • $80+ per session
    Had a script idea that would basically be about a large group of different people, going through body switches with each other, (and some animals) and it eventually gets confusing and messed up.

I'm trying to think of ways to make this less cliche and better. Maybe an interesting genre or something...?
  • So. I can work on my project due thursday, or write my script.

HRM.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Hey, @Schitzo, you read the first couple chapters. Do you think Danny comes off as annoying, or Laura comes off as spoiled and annoying?

Just trying to get a second opinion, because that's like... the opposite of what I was going for.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Danny:

I see him as something of a constant complainer. Not to the level of a Snark Knight, though. He has a pretty hilarious thought process, so that's makes up for it.

Laura:

She comes off as somewhat clueless. The kind of kid that wouldn't feel guilty of screwing someone over, because she doesn't notice. Though I do like that she isn't the kind of sister that constantly badgers her sibling.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I see him as something of a constant complainer. Not to the level of a
    Snark Knight, though. He has a pretty hilarious thought process, so
    that's makes up for it.
    Yeah, I was mostly hoping that his thought processes would make him come off as amusing instead of annoying with the complaining.
    She comes off as somewhat clueless. The kind of kid that wouldn't feel
    guilty of screwing someone over, because she doesn't notice. Though I do
    like that she isn't the kind of sister that constantly badgers her
    sibling.
    Good.  That was mostly what I wanted to convey.  Though she'd probably feel really guilty about screwing them over if she realized that she was doing it.

And I wanted a brother and sister pair who actually get along and have a good relationship instead of just sniping at each other or fighting all the time.
  • They're somethin' else.
    I like that, Foraze. Get rid of the annoying "FUCK YOU PROTAGONIST SIBLING, I DO WHAT I LIKE" crap popularized by so many teen comedy romps XD
    Yeah.  It would have been so easy, given what happens in the story, to have them start out hating each other and then learn a lesson about family by the end or something... but dear god that's so cheesy and boring and overdone and cliche and argh
  • edited 2011-09-20 20:54:25
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "Get rid of the annoying 'FUCK YOU PROTAGONIST SIBLING, I DO WHAT I LIKE' crap popularized by so many teen comedy romps XD"

Dammit, that sort of happens in the other story I was talking about. Though it's more "FUCK YOU PROTAGONIST SIBLING, I'M THE OLDER BROTHER, SO DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO OR I'LL CHUCK THE AIR CONDITIONER AT YOU". Although it's anything but teen comedy, and the relationship between them is considerably worse than usual, as implied by physical abuse.

I suppose, while I'm here, I can at least take a look at Nil.
    Dammit,
    that sort of happens in the other story I was talking about. Though
    it's more "FUCK YOU PROTAGONIST SIBLING, I'M THE OLDER BROTHER, SO DO
    WHAT I TELL YOU TO OR I'LL CHUCK THE AIR CONDITIONER AT YOU". Although
    it's anything but teen comedy, and the relationship between them is
    considerably worse than usual, as implied by physical abuse.
    That's not to say that real brother/sister conflict can't be done well, of course.
    I suppose, while I'm here, I can at least take a look at Nil.
    :D

• edited 2011-09-20 21:57:45
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Chapter 9 is up.

why didn't it get bumped  :<
  • No rainbow star
    Gah, stuck on another project

I've been toying with the idea of a superhero who can control and solidify light (although light constantly breaks off of what he makes, it's such a small amount that it looks like he is manipulating shadows)

Issues here are balance (The guy is fairly powerful seeing as how the powers currently are only limited by light amount and the fact that he can blind someone he faces - although I solved that by coming up with enemies that can't be blinded by him) and the name

So, any ideas on how I can limit his powers without it being stupid? The best I have is an energy drain on him, but his costume is made with his powers, so that causes issues. Also, best name that I have come up with so far that isn't taken to my knowledge is Antumbra. Any better names?

>.> I've been working on writing deities too long if I can't figure out limits on powers after weeks
    Chapter 10 of Nil is up.

/whore

@Icalasari: Does his costume have to be made with his powers?  If it's just an ordinary costume, it won't be a problem.

And you could make it so that the more powerful his application of the power is, the more it tires him out.  So he could be kind of low-key almost indefinitely, but he can only use the really strong stuff for a short time before being tired out.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ It allows him to change immediately so he doesn't waste time

And hmm... Guess that could work
  • I have fears that Richard is getting too Mary Sue-ish.

He's smart, is fluent in Latin (Because his parents are Latin addicts and had him and his siblings start learning it by the age of 2, and they also have them use it in the household a lot. Richard and Jack quite often have secret conversations in Latin), and can draw Manga moderately well.

I think he's getting too many skils. Should I tone back on something?