If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All Purpose Pokemon Thread

edited 2011-07-14 17:50:55 in General
Enough is enough. I'm not a mod and I don't know if I'm overstepping my bounds by doing this but how about we keep all Pokemon discussion to this thread from now on?

I'll get the ball rolling by saying that Stunfisk is the ugliest goddamn motherfucker that Arceus ever crapped out. 

Discuss. 

Comments

• Enough is enough.

dem motherfuckin' snakes onyx on this motherfuckin' plane
  • Kichigai birthday!!

• There are only 151 poke'mon.

'nuff said.
  • I'm really pissed that Battle Revolution didn't have the destruction that was promised.
  • edited 2011-07-14 17:57:12
    Kichigai birthday!!
    ^^

>Not counting Missingno,Ho-oh,Marill,Togepi,and that elephant thing from the movie
  • I'll get the ball rolling by saying that Stunfisk is the ugliest goddamn motherfucker that Arceus ever crapped out.

I beg to differ.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'm not a mod and I don't know if I'm overstepping my bounds by doing this
    Eh, I was considering doing it myself. Though I wouldn't have enforced it.
  • ^^ Lol at that last one >_>
  • edited 2011-07-14 18:17:38
    Hey! Don't you dare insult Amoongus by comparing it to Sarah Jessica Parker!

Also, Cilan's eyes really creep me the hell out. 
  • "I'm really pissed that Battle Revolution didn't have the destruction that was promised."

Battle Revolution was a really lazy cash-in game in general.

This seems like a good opportunity for me to complain about Dragon Pokemon. I strongly dislike how Game Freak has to go out of their way to say "Oh look at how cool they are!" by making the type so overpowered. The Dragon-type was okay before when its lack of resists was balanced out by Dragon moves not being very good, but now Draco Meteor? 120 Base Power Outrage? What. Were. You. Thinking?

• Smugleaf's English name bugs the fuck out of me.
  • edited 2011-07-14 18:29:28
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^And yet you can demolish pretty much any dragon ever with Me First.
  • edited 2011-07-14 18:30:33

Why? It still ascended the smug meme.

^Except they also use Dragon Dance, which means they'll likely be faster and cause Me First to fail.

• This is why I think they should make a change to the type chart. Not much, just one very simple little thing. Make Ice resistant to Dragon. 
  • edited 2011-07-14 20:15:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I was honestly considering locking all the other threads and making one X pokémon should be Y or Y/Z type megathread.

Now I just have to wonder whether to lock the others.

----

1. Psyduck should be water/psychic.  Golduck, I'm not sure, but I don't know much about golduck.  There haven't been mons that have lost types apart from eevee losing the normal type when evolving via stone or happiness.  So there is kinda precedent and there kinda isn't.

2. Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar should be pure ghost type, so they're not weak to psychics.

3. Mewtwo is overpowered.

4. Haunter, Machoke, Kadabra, and Graveler should evolve on happiness, rather than on trade.

5. Traded mons should be renameable, so that I don't have to put up with a Jynx named LOLA or a Mr. Mime named MARCEL.

6. Mr. Mime has a sucky species name.

7. Seadra should be water/dragon.

8. Dragonite should be pure dragon with levitate.

9. Legendaries should respawn if you defeat them.

10. The whole "pokémon above level X won't obey you unless you have Y badge" thing is badly worded, and should be clarified that it only applies to traded mons.
    10'. The "badge required to use Z move outside of battle" thing is a stupid broken bridge design.

11. I want to see the Orange Islands in a game.  Gyms and all.

12. I want to know where Gary got all those other Kanto badges from.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Eh, I was considering doing it myself. Though I wouldn't have enforced it.

• Okay. Let's go through them individually. 

1: Psyduck should definitely be Water/Psychic. It's called Psyduck, why in the hell is it not Psychic?

2: Why does it matter if Gastly/Haunter and Gengar are weak to Psychic? Psychic as an attacking type isn't all that common and anything that can learn it probably learns Shadow Ball as well and is just going to use that. 

3: Mewtwo was only overpowered in 1st Gen. As is, he's now just on par with other higher legends like Kyogre, Arceus and Darkrai. 

4: Why shouldn't they evolve by trade? It's not like they're the only ones. 

5: Traded mons can't be renamed because they're not yours originally. You don't get to choose the name. 

6: Agreed

7: Agreed

8: That would be broken as all fuck. Dragonite's Flying type is there to stop it being too good. Making it pure Dragon with Levitate would make Dragonite stronger than most higher legendaries. ESPECIALLY now that it has access to Multiscale.

9: They already do. They have done for a while. 

10:Agreed.

11: Fuck no. Anime filler has no place in the games. 

12: It's never happening. Deal with it. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    2: Why does it matter if Gastly/Haunter and Gengar are weak to Psychic? Psychic as an attacking type isn't all that common and anything that can learn it probably learns Shadow Ball as well and is just going to use that. 

Low Sp. Def.

Plus, Shadow Ball only has a BP of 80, while Psychic has 90- and most of the 'mons who can learn Psychic have STAB on it.
    4. Haunter, Machoke, Kadabra, and Graveler should evolve on happiness, rather than on trade.
    If you want to go back in time and tell the devteam for red and blue to include a happiness mechanic, go for it.
  • @Cygan: Their Sp.  Def is so low it's not usually gonna make a difference anyway. 
    I know.

But you can get a Gengar that could, potentially, survive a single Shadow Ball.
  • So the argument here is basically that you want Gengar to be harder to kill by mons like Bronzong. 

Why exactly? Why are you even trying to use a Gengar of all things to take hits? 
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Here's another one:

13. All trade based evolution items (Metal Coat, Dragon Scale, etc.) should be changed to "On Use" like evolution stones.
  • While  I can understand that for completionists at the same time it would undermine Nintendo's whole ethos with series that "Pokemon is best when played and shared together with friends."
    I've been doing pretty well going for completionism on my own. Finished the last of the trade evolutions today, I think.
  • Speaking of which, if anybody ever does want to trade for something give me a holler. 
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I don't know enough about pokemon to mention anything anymore. Last time I got my head screamed off by suggesting that Magmortar should have a little more speed, since that apparently unravels the balance of the entire game and throws Mag into OU and possibly Uber, and that Evasion-based moves are killing off the strategy part of Pokemon by allowing luck to interfere with players who "deserve to win".

I don't read Smogon dedicatedly, I just play with friends and take advice, but seriously, these people are worse than the Halo 3 metagamers.
    You probably know more than I do; I haven't ever played against another human. Maybe I'll look into it when I finish gens I-IV.
  • edited 2011-07-14 23:01:59
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Evasion spamming DOES suck though. Almost everything learns Double Team so you HAVE to have a DT counter (and a DT counter counter, and a DT counter counter counter etc.) if you want your battles to be more than 90% missed attacks.

But Magmortar could use more speed. Or more Sp. Attack to balance out its low Speed.
  • Yeah Magmortar could really use a few points to Speed or Sp. Atk. Stat wise it's not actually bad, it's the fact that it's pure Fire that lets it down. 

As for Evasion? It's not that it's broken really, there's plenty of ways to deal with it. Haze, Clear Smog, various moves that ignore Evasion etc it's just that it's really fucking tedious to play against. Not broken but very annoying.