If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I kinda want to ask if anyone's interested in a D&D game

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Err...sorry...the new Dresden Files book arrived today and I was reading it until like fifteen minutes ago.

And I have to go out of town tomorrow, so...the day after?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    oh my god I didn't even realize the new Dresden Files book was out
    It just came out today. I got release date delivery.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Oh yeah, it is out now, isn't it? And I had just started A Feast for Crows. Though I have a pretty decent start in that latter book so far.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, I'm like 300 pages into A Feast for Crows, then I need to read A Dance with Dragons, and then I get to read Ghost Story.
  • I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning so day after will be fine for me. 
  • edited 2011-07-26 21:05:15
    Has friends besides tanks now
    When would we start on Thursday? Because I may or may not have another game (this one in meatspace) to run that day as well.

And I can't remember: is this supposed to be an every day, whenever the hell people can post deal, or a weekly campaign?

^^ Dude, I'm only 171 pages into A Feast for Crows, then I also have A Dance with Dragons and the DF book. And I have to read The Autobiography of Malcolm X (450 or so pages) and Freakonomics for summer homework. Feels great, man.
  • thurday is no good for me, I have my own game to run that day.
    I figured it was the "when people can post" option. Though combat rounds would probably have a time limit for how long they could last.
  • edited 2011-07-26 21:08:51
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Putting a limit on combat rounds lasting how long real-life time would be a great idea.

The worst-case scenario is everyone going turn by turn, and people delaying their turn a day or more before people know to skip them.

At the very least, each turn should be limited to some amount of time.

Alternatively, you could say that each person gets one move every X amount of time (such as once every 3 hours or after everyone has gone, whichever's faster) and if they don't move they forfeit it.  This is basically how Conquer Club (online multiplayer Risk, effectively) does it.
  • edited 2011-07-26 21:13:35

3 hours? that seems like a long, LOMG time. can it be something more alike.... 15 minutes? after all, each player taking a turn would easily grow into an hour a round.

alternatively, any chance for skype?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Skype would basically be game sessions anyway.

The whole point of play-by-post is that people aren't schedule-constrained.

I only cited 3 hours because my experience with Conquer Club is that turns are 24 hours.  Then again Lightning GXC had 10-minute turns...

Something like 10 minutes would be nice, actually.

An idea you can do with that is to have each player give their basic battle (and maybe even out-of-battle) strategy to the GM.  Let's call this their "AI".  If they are unavailable by the time the turn ends, the GM plays the character according to AI.  If they can't make do with the AI, then the character is assumed to be goofing off.
    I definitely don't have time for actual game sessions.

How about this: combat rounds last a minimum of an hour. If over half of the participants have posted when the hour ends, the round can happen and the player's "AI" is used for their characters' actions. If not, it's delayed until more than half of the players have posted actions.
    Sounds workable.  It does give players a way to drag a combat out to forever, though.  However, I'd say it's fair enough.

Then again, in that case the campaign is likely dying due to lack of interest anyway.  Dropping campaigns is a whole nother issue.  You might want to, as GM, decide how much a player can be allowed to be MIA before you get the authority to throw them out of the game.

Fridge brilliance: said AI is...PC AI.
    Yeah...but is there any way around that without either combats lasting months or actual scheduled sessions?
  • edited 2011-07-26 21:43:03
    ^^ Well, we've had three players say that they couldn't participate due to time constraints (Cygan, IanExMachina, and MadassAlex), so presumably everyone who's currently playing is fairly close in time zones.
  • can we write up our characters AI?
    Ooh, that's a pretty good alternate solution.

Not sure which I prefer, or if something in between might work.
  • i like the idea of "we use short round time limits. if we dont take our turn within the time limit, they behave according to preset AI by the player."

it would keep maximum pace without losing complete control.

• edited 2011-07-26 21:55:56
    I feel like short round limits (like, say, 10 minutes?), plus party-based initiative, plus AI, would work pretty well.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Bah.

If the AI idea works out, I''d have to think further...

Anyway, I've been rolling random characters all day. I'll eventually post a Paladin, a Ranger, a Rogue, a Knight and a Sorceror here for no particular reason.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Here's that paladin.

She's probably more suited to diplomacy and courtly times than combat though.
  • Glaives are better.
    I liked Ghost Story. Little slow beginning, a drawn out middle, intriguing end. I read it in about three hours.
    ARRGHH

I was about to say I am not going to play, and the lack of pregen characters for me to use plus my reluctance to again use a character I've made before is convenient for my not participating since it's probaby not a good idea for me given my meatspace situation.

On the other hand, Cygan is now making pregens...
  • Glaives are better.

GMH, I'll make a character for you. Do you want to be a 

FIGHTING MAN ACTION HERO

MUTHAFUCKIN' WIZARD

MAGIC-USING DRAGON STARCHILD

SNEAKY-ASS THIEF MASTAH

SMITIN' AN KILLIN' PRIEST DUDE

THUNDER AND LIGHTNING NATURE HIPPY

BRUCE LEE

DIO

KNIGHT ON FUCKING HORSEBACK

CONAN THE FUCKING BARBARIAN AWW SHIT

• edited 2011-07-27 14:05:46
    DON'T FORGET THE GODDAMN PARK RANGER SNIPER!

Though I wonder why making a new character would be a problem.
  • Glaives are better.
    AWW SHIT I THOUGHT I PUT IN A NATURE-THEMED DUAL WIELDIN' ACTION HERO MUTHAFUCKA.
    On the other hand, Cygan is now making pregens...

Hehehe. I can make one for you, if you specify a class you'd like to ply and perhaps a build?
  • ^ Necromancer with a skeleton pet :3
    I could, but OTOH, you already have a character.