If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: IJBM designs a Pokèmon game!

Comments

• edited 2012-10-17 09:34:36
    Has friends besides tanks now

^ Ah.

Buririanto peijitoppa

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Jesus, I go to sleep and all this happens.

Also, I think for our purposes "Corruption" is the wrong word for this. "Decay" might be a better one.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Decay... invokes imagery of death a bit too much, I think.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Hence my use of the word "Entropy". It's much more neutral than Corruption or Decay. Hell, Entropy is literally the concept that the laws of the universe are trying to reestablish the natural order, or something like that.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Wait, what?

Isn't Entropy the destruction of the universe's potential difference?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, I figures we'd wind up changing the word. Though I'm not sure if decay or entropy quite fita what I'm picturing anyway.
  • edited 2012-10-17 11:24:55
    "Isn't Entropy the destruction of the universe's potential difference?"

Yeah. My previous wording for it was a bit off, I admit, but I remembered it being the eventuality of universal homogeneity, which is ultimately at least somewhat consistent with both of our definitions.

"3. (in cosmology) a hypothetical tendency for the universe to attain a state of maximum homogeneity in which all matter is at a uniform temperature (heat death)"

Yeah- the heat death of the universe being the ultimate consequence of entropy, with the universe eventually becoming a homogenous mass of heat and inert matter.

However, I don't think it quite fits the concept we're talking about here.

Possibly not. But I felt it was closer to what we were looking for, as a literalization of reversion to some more same-y state of existence, hence this thing creating deserts, if I recall correctly?
    Yeah, what we've got is closer to a plague, without literally being a disease.

Possibly not. But I felt it was closer to what we were looking for, as a literalization of reversion to some more same-y state of existence, hence this thing creating deserts, if I recall correctly?

I didn't think it was creating deserts- more the same... harshness as a desert, if that makes any sense?

I dunno, I'm just imaging it one way but you guys might be imaging it another.

Yeah, a desert is specifically a place with very low humidity, while what it's creating is more of a place where most life is dead. So more of a wasteland.

How about "contamination?"

• edited 2012-10-17 11:34:40
    ^^^ That makes sense. Even so, I could take it to mean that the desert-like harshness is symbolic of heat death being inherently hostile to living things (though, in this case, not fatally so, obviously, it's still a Pokemon game).

Man, I just got the Sumerian mythology stuff in Snow Crash, I really should have a better word for this.

^ I don't know that captures the full scope of its power, but we're definitely getting closer.

Maybe miasma? Miasma is a cool word, and it basically means a poison (or evil) atmosphere.

• edited 2012-10-17 11:39:54
    But I thought we didn't want this 'mon to be evil? If it's Douchebagmon, why would anyone want to catch/befriend it?

But if we take it to mean poisonous, rather than evil, that could work.

Assimilation? It's not a painfully stark contrast with civilization, so much as just a more extreme imagination of that idea. Hence, this pokemon isn't evil, so much as ignorant of human plight. Which MC would fix by catching and befriending it.

Miasma sounds... overly malevolent. Contamination sounds... like it's got the same problem as corruption.

Even so, I could take it to mean that the desert-like harshness is symbolic of heat death being inherently hostile to living things (though, in this case, not fatally so, obviously, it's still a Pokemon game).

Yeah, I just... I don't know, entropy just seems like it would require too much wrangling to work.

But I thought we didn't want this 'mon to be evil? If it's Douchebagmon, why would anyone want to catch/befriend it?

It's Poison-type :V

Miasma wouldn't have to be the Pokemon's name. Just the atmosphere it's creating, possibly unintentionally.

No, I know. Just as the concept, because the concept would probably be described in-game, yes?

If I may emptyquote myself, to make sure my idea was at least considered:

"Assimilation? It's not a painfully stark contrast with civilization, so much as just a more extreme imagination of that idea. Hence, this pokemon isn't evil, so much as ignorant of human plight. Which MC would fix by catching and befriending it."

^^Yeah.

I'm not quite sure assimilation would describe what I'm thinking of -- essentially, a big poison cloud or area that kills stuff.

Oh, you edited your quote.

Assimilated would almost work, but it... doesn't seem to capture the environmental aspect of it.

Anyway, it's almost 3AM, I need to head to bed. You guys'll figure something out, probably.

• edited 2012-10-17 11:54:01
    ^^ Think of it in the sense that, by spreading said cloud, it's attempting to force other living things to adhere to its own standards, which is a classic dick move, even in real history.

But it isn't, really. It's just kind of killing them.

That said, we can probably think of a name more reliably once we've got our plot concepts nailed down.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah, but Death is part of nature. All things break down and die. It's an ugly, but natural and inevitable and necessary part of life. Corruption is some outside source that messes things up. 

"But it isn't, really. It's just kind of killing them."

This is getting kinda Grimdark, I have to say . . .

"That said, we can probably think of a name more reliably once we've got our plot concepts nailed down."

That's true, though.

Well, we were talking about an area that was mostly devoid of life due to an expanding influence created by a legendary Poison Pokèmon. I assumed some death, though if you'd prefer the notion of all the life just being more literally driven out of that area, that would work too, I guess -- mass migrations and stuff.

That's what I was thinking, yeah. Rather than outright killing everything, it causes problems because human society can't support all the extra pokemon that were previously just fine where they were.
  • edited 2012-10-17 12:03:49
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I actually like that surprisingly well. It lets us explore some serious consequences without overburdening the lighthearted nature of a Pokèmon story with death.