If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: IJBM designs a Pokèmon game!

Comments

• I'm not entirely sure how to work IRC so multiple threads might sound more my style.

• edited 2012-10-17 01:05:27
    No rainbow star

^^^^ Well, if we narrow down to one topic, then I'd say the main story first, so we can get a theme decided on

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Alternatively, what Alkthash said. This is like, what #ijbm was designed for.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Maan, what's wrong with deserts? There is some harsh beauty there and forests and grass gets boring all the time. And there are a ton of ways you could vary up the desert idea. 

• No rainbow star

Crimson: Game editors for Pokemon exists

Why build a new engine when we can use existing ones? Although some editing of the engine itself might be neat...

• I'm a damn twisted person

Okay big questions 

The region itself - how big, the type of environments do we want etc,

How many pokemon do we want to think up? 100? 200?

Plot?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

See, when Nova said "tone" I thought she meant story tone.

Um, no yeah, deserts are cool. I like deserts.

Maybe even a salt flat. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

I'm playing a game right now.

Why don't we do like, a meeting tomorrow? So we all have time to think about this. 

Also, besides just spraying random ideas. I know Java and a bit of C++, I can help program if I can figure out the engine.

o

I didn't know that we might actually make this game. I don't know coding, but I'd be fine pitching character/pokemon/dialogue ideas and stuff.

Or alternatively, we could narrow it to one topic of discussion at a time to slow things down.

That sounds good. But a lot of our ideas are sort of converging and diverging along the same lines, it seems. So, moving to an IRC channel sounds good. Could I get a link to said channel?

• edited 2012-10-17 01:09:16
    I'm a damn twisted person

#ijbm.esper.net Use something like mibbit to get there fast and easy if you don't have an IRC client already. 

• edited 2012-10-17 01:09:03
    No rainbow star

^^^^ Well, before we could figure out types of environments or even how many Pokemon, I think we should all decide on the basics of the plot first

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The region itself - how big, the type of environments do we want etc,

About normal-sized for a Pokèmon game, I guess? I figured they were all about the same.

How many pokemon do we want to think up? 100? 200?

If we're using only our own, I'd say 150, though 200 could work if we're just brimming with ideas.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I get lost in IRC channels personally.

Because then it's this but line-by-line instead of post-by-post. 

• edited 2012-10-17 01:12:00
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm not entirely sure how to work IRC so multiple threads might sound more my style.

That sounds good. But a lot of our ideas are sort of converging and diverging along the same lines, it seems. So, moving to an IRC channel sounds good. Could I get a link to said channel?

http://wbe003.mibbit.com/?server=irc.esper.net:5555&channel=#ijbm

• edited 2012-10-17 01:14:15
    Has friends besides tanks now

I'm on the IRC channel now, if anyone wanted to go there. lol apparently I wasn't

If we're using only our own, I'd say 150, though 200 could work if we're just brimming with ideas.

200 might be a bit much, considering that 156 is the most a game's ever done. 120-150 sounds good, though.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Right, this has been a good first day.

Current Devteam list:

1. ClockworkUniverse

2. All Nines

3. Lai

4. Icalasari

5. Alkthash

6. Crimson

7. Nova

8. Super Lazuli

Anyway, the eight of us are each coming up with a portfolio of up to 8 Pokemon or families to submit for voting. Submissions are due a week from today, though sooner is fine.

Nova has the more detailed log, I believe.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Indeed I do!

Here is the log for the Seventeenth of October, 2012.

I will type up a summary of what was said in an hour or so.

• https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kzg87yqja3u6qu/Prototype Gym Leader Theme.mp3

Okay, okay. I'm not too used to Dropbox yet. But I hope I got it set-up right.

Really, this was something I ended up doing in my free time and I'm not even sure if it fits as a Gym Leader theme or a Pokemon theme in general.

Also, just for clarification: I take it hypothetical Base Stat Totals would come after we decide which Pokemon ideas are good and bad?

• edited 2012-10-17 02:57:12
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Can't listen to that on my phone; will comment later.

How much detail should our portfolios go into? Ninjask'd.
  • I think we should at least get all the Pokemon ideas set-up before we even think about Base Stat Totals and movepools personally.

• edited 2012-10-17 03:00:48

@Gym Leader theme: Three comments:

-The scalar opening riffs feel a little dragged out
    -I think it's a tad ominous for Gym Leaders, especially with the bassline. In that regard, maybe it would be better for a climactic encounter of some sort? Like, with a legendary?
    -Shit, man, you're good at piano. :O

^ Agreed. Just felt like I should be asking this now.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-10-17 03:03:10

Yeah, I was thinking some kind of climatic battle too after giving it a listen too.

On the last note, I'm not really good at piano that much. Sure I've taken some classes, but I cannot play that in real life. Thank you, Fruity Loops.

• edited 2012-10-17 03:02:59

Though, on that note, I would say that I don't want that sort of motif for a Big Bad battle, personally. You guys probably know what I'm going to suggest, but, really, it's a serious suggestion, and I wouldn't advocate for it being *ahem* extreme.

On the last note, I'm not really good at piano that much. Sure I've taken some classes, but I cannot play that in real life. Thank you, Fruity Loops.

Oh. Okay. Should I search Fruity Loops, then? Because, in spite of no music theory background, I'd like to mess around with something like that.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-10-17 03:08:10

Yeah, I wouldn't think of this as a Big Bad battle theme personally either.

So, what is it just out of curiousity? You can PM me about it though if you're nervous.

^ Sure if you'd like, I'm sure there are some *COUGH*TOTALLYLEGITIMATE*COUGH* full versions of it on the interwebs somewhere.

• edited 2012-10-17 03:10:46

Heavy metal. I mean, lots of metal borrows from classical music, even, and it translates pretty well to techno/grandiose music, while being aggressive and in-your-face enough that it would fit for a bad guy. I'm not saying there should be chug riffs throughout, or that we should bring someone in for harsh vocals, but I feel like rollicking drums and blazing guitar seems right.

EDIT: Off the top of my head, look at this. Maybe that's too metal, but it does what a bad guy theme should do, without ever being so heavy that compositional nuance is lost. A minute and a half should be enough to see everything it gets at, and everything that I think would make for a good villain theme.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Heaps of video game music seems to be composed along the lines of heavy metal first, if you ask me. 

• Sounds interesting. I have heard some metal roots in the later games, or at least I think I do. I'm kind of glad the BW guitar fonts don't suck.