If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: IJBM designs a Pokèmon game!

edited 2012-10-17 00:25:18 in Media
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

What the title said. What I've got so far for the first nine Pokèmon:

Grass that later adds Fighting, Fire that later adds Dark, Water that later adds Psychic.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, anyone have any initial thoughts on things they'd want to do?

• edited 2012-10-17 00:30:01
    Has friends besides tanks now

Fire/Dragon evolution chain is my first thought, because I'm still wtfing over Charizard not being a Dragon type and how we only got that dual-typing in the most recent generation.

Also, for starters, anything but another fire/fighting, so fire/dark works.

After that, I would say lots of Fighting types, because Fighting type is best type, but Gen V has me covered again.

I love Gen V. :3

Uhh . . . Are we assuming typical Pokemon game, or one where we could make up a plotline that the games have never really explored?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-10-17 00:29:03

Well, I might look into certain concepts and some movesets and play around with that if that's what you're asking.

I R NOT RELIABLE.

In other news, I was thinking of having Bonemerang actually hit Flying types or exploring the region with little to no roadblocks.

• No rainbow star

Are we going with Gen III Engine, Gen IV, or Gen V?

^^ One fangame has a morality system of sorts

• edited 2012-10-17 00:31:07
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Uhh . . . Are we assuming typical Pokemon game, or one where we could make up a plotline that the games have never really explored?

That's up for discussion, though I was kind of assuming the former.

Things I'd like to have:

• A pure flying-type Pokèmon

• A poison-type legendary (could be plot-related)

Well, I might look into certain concepts and some movesets and play around with that if that's what you're asking.

I figured movesets would come after basic concepts, but feel free to throw ideas around and see what sticks.

Are we going with Gen III Engine, Gen IV, or Gen V?

I like Gen V best engine-wise, but I really love the thing HG/SS do with having the Pokèmon follow you, and that's why I rank those as the best yet published.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Some kickass poison types would be cool.

For the grass type, maybe break the reptile schtick and make it a gorrilla. Water... maybe like mermaid?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-10-17 00:32:10

Has everyone done a Living Armor Pokemon that starts off as a cute little helmet thing (Lol Ghost/Steel type) or a Pokemon based of a pistol shrimp?

• edited 2012-10-17 00:33:35

That's up for discussion, though I was kind of assuming the former.

K. Because if it was the latter, I would add a Gym Leader who has some antagonistic agenda unrelated to Team Terrorist, and a sidequest could involve working with the others to track down and apprehend this rogue baddie.

^^ Ooh, that sounds like good stuff. For a Fire/Dark starter . . . I don't want to ape Houndoom, so perhaps a wolverine, to reference said animal's brutality and rage in the real world?

For the grass type, maybe break the reptile schtick and make it a gorrilla. Water... maybe like mermaid?

Like these.

Hmmm...for the fire-type, maybe a demonic snake or fire salamander?

Pokemon based of a pistol shrimp?

ALL MY SUPPORT.

Because if it was the latter, I would add maybe one or two Gym Leaders having some antagonistic agenda, and a sidequest could involve working with the others to track down and apprehend this rogue baddie.

That could be cool, depending on execution.

• edited 2012-10-17 00:37:21

Hmm. Fighting/Flying Garuda pokemon? Maybe this could even be a Legendary: a pokemon who occasionally descends from its realm in the heavens to challenge trainers and see if anyone's worthy of mastering it and training with it.

It could possibly be one of the runaway types of legendary, but with the caveat that, if you do a certain something before it decides to flee, it'll actually take up your offer to fight it. And there could be other trainers who talk about getting their shit stomped by some weird-looking bird warrior.

That could be cool. It would start showing up when you're way too weak, and be a long-term goal.
  • Ghost/Fighting type...

Hmm.... something to represent the idea of shadowboxing? No, no... we have Hitmonchan...

• edited 2012-10-17 00:40:52
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I had an idea for a Rock -> Rock/Psychic Tuatara Pokemon waaaay back that I can fish up.

Also, I prefer Fire/Electric, Grass/Flying, Water/Ground as a starter trio.

Also also, obligatory Farfetch'd evolution.

^Some sort of undead knight? That could also be Ghost/Steel.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    I also like the Ghost/Fighting idea.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

I was thinking more like a really menacing tiger for the Fire/Dark type. 

Oh maybe a legendary trio that all have ghost as the secondary type? Something about them being lost heroes who stayed on after death to protect the region. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Ghost/Steel, Ghost/Fighting, Ghost/Rock(?) Phantom Knights?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-10-17 00:43:48

Poison/Steel type. So far I'm just coming up with a living factory of sorts. That or a living oil drum.

^ Me like.

Oh maybe a legendary trio that all have ghost as the secondary type? Something about them being lost heroes who stayed on after death to protect the region. 

I was actually thinking based on the idea of a poison legendary of somehow having a portion of the land being "corrupted," Okami-Style. Something along the lines of that could work with it. Maybe two good heroes and the evil hero who betrayed them/failed them and is filled with rage in the afterlife?

I was thinking more like a really menacing tiger for the Fire/Dark type. 

I like that in theory, but it reminds me a bit too much of Entei.

• No rainbow star

Lai: I have concepts for a little ghost knight Pokemon laying about, actually

And what about a game where some choices affect some things in the games, like the conditions of some cities, some of the wild Pokemon, and even the legendary you get to catch?

Naturally there would be a way to get every Pokemon, but still

The Title Legendaries could be a pure Poison corruption Pokemon and a Grass/Ground life Pokemon (since Grass is weak to poison but Ground resists it. Poison could have Levitate to null the Ground weakness)

• Choices with lasting consequences in Pokemon? Well, hell yeah.

• edited 2012-10-17 00:49:17

@Ghost legendary trio: I had originally also had an idea for Ghost/Fighting or Ghost/Steel samurai spirit, as another possible legendary with an antiquated sense of honor, but this is much cooler. Maybe Ghost/Fighting warrior, Ghost/Normal or Ghost/Dark hound that was the dear pet of said warrior, and . . . Ghost/Steel living sword pokemon? Then some event could be fabricated for why all of these things are separate. Or, alternatively, Legendary Triple Battle.

I like the Poison-type corrupter idea, too.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I like that idea.

But I also like the idea of having several starter-esque trios spread throughout the region.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I DO I DO I DO I DO

I know we already discussed a Tiger as a possibility for the fire/dark, but I have a specific design in mind. Sorta.

Very, very briefly (I don't wanna bore y'all) the first evolution would be basically a Savannah Cat with reddish fur with smoky grey stripes, the second would be a small Big Cat, perhaps a jaguar, and the third would be the Tiger.

I know that's not, y'know, a lot. But I also have a friend who's an artist, I can see if she's interested. 

Okay, so thoughts about the plot.

Poison corruption Pokèmon is doing its thing. Some powerful trainer/knights went out to stop it. Poison coruption legendary also has the ability to poison minds, turned them against one another. They tried to take it on individually, failed. Now their ghosts are the vanguards of its army, each blaming the other two for the defeat. You have to seek them out and defeat them or, if you can first redeem them, catch them.

• Hey, guys.

I like bombardier beetles. Like I really do. :V

It should totally be a Pokemon as opposed to typical Bug/Poison type.

Bug/Fire? That sounds interesting.

• edited 2012-10-17 00:50:47
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I was actually thinking based on the idea of a poison legendary of somehow having a portion of the land being "corrupted," Okami-Style. Something along the lines of that could work with it. Maybe two good heroes and the evil hero who betrayed them/failed them and is filled with rage in the afterlife?

How's this then?

Ghost/Steel Knight: Basically the hero's armor still animated by his soul. High Attack, Defense, Sp. Defense, Low Speed and Sp. Attack.

Ghost/Fighting Monk/Rogue: The second hero, nothing is left of him besides a shadowy, barely corporeal form. Very high attack, and speed, but very fragile.

Ghost/Dark Wizard(?): The vengeful one, more obviously monstrous than the others. Trades in Attack for Sp. Attack, balanced otherwise.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Bombardier Beetles would make a good Bug/Rock IMO.

• edited 2012-10-17 00:52:32
    I'm a damn twisted person

We could have two sets of trios. The ghost knights would be like the birds/golems/lake trio/musketeer trio and just be folklore without plot bearing. The Poison/Plant/Ground trio would probably be the big trio of the region. I'd change the poison legendary to be decay rather than corruption. Legendaries have been aggressive before, but not outright malicious.

Also, a bug/psychic pokemon would be cool. Maybe like a riff on the hivemind idea and the whole dugtrio and magneton tradition of the evolved form just being a merger of the previous form. 

• Wait a minute, didn't someone suggest an ability that weakens a Pokemon during Sunny Day here? Not in this topic, but another one.