If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2012-09-28 14:19:42
    Tableflipper

What are the police doing in the real world?

They moved people to hospitals for the sake of life support while they can't log out. Some people who tried to remove the NerveGear got the wearer killed, and they are afraid to tamper with it further in fear of killing more people trying to pry them out of the game using methods other than the intended escape function.

Why are the servers not even experiencing an hour of downtime if they're obviously being run illegally?

I just assumed AWESOME FUTURE EXPENSIVE TECH for this.

How are the human bodies surviving without food/water/bathroom breaks for upwards of a year?

They are being force-fed in hospitals and they are on special futuristic beds which break down waste and prevent skin infection, from what I recall reading in the novels.

Holland Novak cute or Akira Takizawa cute.

*looks up*

bleh

I mean the girls goals all benefit him, like they're his private artillery (Lizbeth) and army (Asuna and the rest).

Asuna is the only girl that fights alongside him (the other one, which was more like Kirito helping someone else's group, kind of died) and the only difference with Lisbeth is that she doesn't charge Kirito for her equipment maintenence purposes (since, well, he is cute) and everyone in general (well, other than the red players) wants to clear the game so helping a clearer doesn't seem all that contrived to me.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

bleh

you do not bleh holland novak

it is just not done

special futuristic beds

While I'm sure those are nice and futuristic, I'm also sure that this takes place before Accel World and I didn't see any special futuristic beds there when Snow Black Princess got hit by a car while moving as fast a Superman.

And I still can't believe that one guy programmed this entire thing, it has no bugs in it, it runs perfectly on a modern OS (This thing is way too big to have been developed within a month or so), that he found a distributor (who for some reason is not being sued or arrested for cyber-terrorism) and he has still not been located despite the entire real world being after him.

• you do not bleh holland novak

it is just not done

bleeehhhh

While I'm sure those are nice and futuristic, I'm also sure that this takes place before Accel World and I didn't see any special futuristic beds there when Snow Black Princess got hit by a car while moving as fast a Superman.

Snow Black wouldn't have needed a long-term life support bed during whatever the hell the operation was though (it was expected for her to recover in one day) I have no idea of what the original source in Accel World did for this specific case though.

And I still can't believe that one guy programmed this entire thing, it has no bugs in it, it runs perfectly on a modern OS (This thing is way too big to have been developed within a month or so), that he found a distributor (who for some reason is not being sued or arrested for cyber-terrorism) and he has still not been located despite the entire real world being after him.

I'm not sure where you got the "developed within a month or so" thing and IIRC the hardware (NerveGear) was designed by him.

He is also the owner of a company, which happens to go bankrupt because of tons of people suing them after the VRMMORPG death game Sword Art Online is cleared.

As far as I know, only Japan is after him. Why he has not been found is something I am not so sure of either,  but Osama Bin Laden or whatever his name was was pretty hard to find too for a fairly long time.

The other issues though (such as why his workers aren't trying to quit their jobs as soon as possible, or how there aren't any known bugs in it) is something that is not addressed at all and I can't really guess why it would end up like that either.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

This all strikes me as too much thought effort to be put into Sword Art Online.

I mean, it doesn't even reference Liechtenauer once. :|

• I don't think Sword Art Online would ever do that anyway when considering how its battle system to start with is obviously unrealistic though.

"Sword" even has an extremely broad definition there, with "Swordsmen" = Mace, Axe, Spear, Dagger, Throwing Pick, or Sword-user.

I was being facetious. <_<

That said, the latter part is actually realistic. If your sword skills can't be applied to mass weapons, polearms and daggers, then you're not much of a swordsman. In fact, sword training was kind of a big deal in particular because its versatility allowed someone to be armed with any close combat weapon and perform well. By comparison, training with an axe allows you to use axe techniques and some basic sword techniques, but has little to do with spear use. So training all your dudes with swords is a time efficient way to build up a versatile fighting force. 

• edited 2012-09-28 15:14:23
    Tableflipper

At that point I kind of wonder what the point of calling someone a "Swordsman" instead of something like "Weaponsmaster" would be >_>

And, well, that also doesn't apply to Sword Art Online anyway, since leveling up your one-handed sword skills doesn't do shit for say, your two-handed axe skill level. (There are even specific categories for Curved Sword skills and Straight Sword skills and even Longer Sword skills IIRC, which are not subcategories and are instead gameplay-wise treated as seperate) And there is a limited amount of skill types one can use to begin with, which means that if you fill up all your skill slots you won't be even able to gain different skill-types beyond that(other than by "forgetting" something you already learned which frees up a slot.)

'Cause "master" in historical terms refers less to someone who is highly accomplished and more to someone who teaches others. So you could be the best swordsman in the world and not be a master, simply because you're not a teacher. But yes, "swordsman" is a pretty vague term, which is why I suppose it's relatively modern rather than actually medieval. Back then, you were a "fencer", and "fencing" referred to all types of close combat, including those without a weapon. Derived from "defense". Or perhaps the other way around. 

• Back then, you were a "fencer", and "fencing" referred to all types of close combat, including those without a weapon.

mind = blown

Including braining someone with a rock!

What noble heritage our modern art of sportive fencing has. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ Those types of fencers fence pain.

• I'm a damn twisted person

They are being force-fed in hospitals and they are on special futuristic beds which break down waste and prevent skin infection, from what I recall reading in the novels.

Do nursing assistants not exist in this universe?

• edited 2012-09-28 21:34:36
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Humanity has declined. I have to finish that series. And the poster makes it pretty clear it is something like a slice-of-life in a rural area. A post-apolcalypse doesn't need to be Mad Max.

I just watched a review of High School Of The Dead, and while I never really intended to watch it in the first place, one of the criticisms was that it follows all the standard zombie survival beats and twists. 

Got me thinking about why post-apocalyptic zombie survival stories all have to work on essentially the same zombie concept. Hell, "zombie" is even a silly, non-threatening word. I'd like to see corpses animated by black magic, or revenants ripped straight out of folklore to spice things up. Like a lot of "stale" concepts, the whole zombie thing has become so ironically self-descriptive because too many creators have been playing by the standard rules rather than putting out some creative thought.

• edited 2012-09-28 21:44:20
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I think it has less to do with the devotion to standard and more to lack of thought to why those things became the standard. Romero had things to say and his zombies were that way for a reason. Same with Return of The Living Dead, and even The Walking Dead to a lesser extent.

A lot of times these days things just have zombies in them to have zombies in them.

That said, I think when you take out the mutant boobs there's a fairly decent survival story in it, and the gun fetishism is more interesting than the female fetishism.

Then again, both Black Lagoon and Gunsmith Cats do both of those much better.

That said if you're a fan of action/hot girls why the fuck haven't you read Black Lagoon and Gunsmith Cats?

Excessive fanservice tends to bother me, unless it's justified by something else. 

Black Lagoon doesn't bother me, for instance, because Revy is a character who largely doesn't care too much how much skin she's showing and her clothes are actually light and functional given her role as a pirate gun master. Or, say, Claymore, where the fanservice is in the shapeliness rather than the amount of skin showing. That sits well with me since the armour protects the all-important shoulder entry points for cuts and the rest of the clothing is light for fast movement and minimum physical restriction. 

I guess it works for me because it's all in context of what's going on and what makes sense. In something like High School Of The Dead, I suspect the female characters in particular tend to continue wearing their school uniforms because of fetishism rather than anything else, when changing into something tougher and more comfortable would probably be one of the first things you do. Leather is tough to bite through and most anime characters are slender enough that a well-fitting leather jacket is almost always going to look good on them anyway. 

Or perhaps I'm overthinking this. 

What I'm really saying here is that I'm bored of zombies. 

• edited 2012-09-28 22:09:10
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Oh I'm not disagreeing. The fanservice in HoTD is really problematic and worse off, it's obnoxious and really not as sexy as it thinks it is. 

I agree that the zombie thing is played out but rather than wanting them gone or changed I just think they need to lay in their graves for awhile, ironically so that they'll feel fresher later.

Not that I'm against twists or trying anything new. I just don't find anything wrong with the current formula other than overexposure.

In any case, I think what works with Black Lagoon's fetishism is that it's all pretty natural. The way the characters act and dress makes sense and feels consistent and while there are ass-shots and the like, they're also positioned so you get the best look at Revy getting a totally sweet headshot so it's mixed in with the main point of the series. 

• really not as sexy as it thinks it is.

Except that sexiness is one of the most subjective things there is, and HOTD is apparently extremely successful.

I don't think that anyone is claiming that, say, the female characters in HOTD aren't attractive. So while it has that aesthetic appeal that I would presume is nearly universal, plus zombie action, I think it's not unreasonable to claim that the series sometimes crosses the line into disgusting or laughable for a variety of reasons. 

• edited 2012-09-29 00:18:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I seem to be more a fan of awesome girls than hot girls.  Some of the awesome ones just happen to be hot coincidentially.

And I saw the first ep of Humanity Has Declined.

Bleeding carrot juice bread.

That is all.

only Japan is after him

So the entire world is just "Oh, y'know, like 10000 Japanese kids are trapped in a VR game but whatevs cause it's not happening within our borders!"

He is also the owner of a company

Oh... Nobody noticed the lack of a 'quit' button or did he just manage to remove it (and install the kill app) before the game went into print?

Who is running all the servers? Him too?

but Osama Bin Laden

Had an entire organization with people in almost every country backing him. Owner of SAO doesn't.

I seem to be more a fan of awesome girls than hot girls.

Me too!

• So the entire world is just "Oh, y'know, like 10000 Japanese kids are trapped in a VR game but whatevs cause it's not happening within our borders!"

yes, sure

Oh... Nobody noticed the lack of a 'quit' button or did he just manage to remove it (and install the kill app) before the game went into print?

He did remove it and installed/activated the kill thing before it went into print, yeah. Since the beta testing phase was free of such and thus was a safe gaming experience.

Who is running all the servers? Him too?

I dunno lol

organization with people in almost every country backing him

did not know

in such a case i'm wondering why there aren't at least over 9000 x 2 people talking about how every country but America must be EVUL or something then for supporting him

I seem to be more a fan of awesome girls than hot girls.

Never did find anyone that would disagree with that (including myself.)

Though, that may be because most awesome girls are depicted as what is considered attractive in fiction anyway.

Fall 2012 Anime List:

Aikatsu: Idol show for the training of future otaku (It's a morning show). I'll watch it if it turns out those weird CG sequences are actually magical girl transformations.

Bakuman: Never seen it, no interest.

Battle Spirits Sword Eyes: I'll marathon next year when it's over like I do all these shows.

BTOOOM!: On the good side: Great premise! On the bad side: misogyny and using rape as a fear mongering tool!

Bousou Shinki: Tiny robots fight for the affection of an average sized man (and in some tournament)? not!AngelicLayer just got creepy...

Chuunibyou: KyoAni's newest show with the least interesting premise ever. I don't think even they can make this intriguing in the slightest (Will eat my words after I declare my love at the end of the season)

Gyrozetter: Shonen! Toys! Video Games! Robots! Great inviting character designs! I'm on board.

Code:Breaker: Kinema Citrus (Also known as the BONES Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood guys). It'll probably be good but not for me.

Gintama: Never seen an episode, probably not starting now.

Girls Und Panzer: Will marathon ala Strike Witches and Sky Girls as it is probably those shows all over again.

Hayate the Combat Butler: This seems to have a fan following like no other (well, there's Jojos but nobody honestly likes that, they just say they do)this season, but I'm not too interested.

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb: Hey DYRE Hey DYRE Hey DYRE

Hiiro No Kakera: Didn't bother with the first half, not starting now.

InitialD 5th Stage: Car racing anime has never really been my thing.

Ixion Saga DT: I'm interested in this for some reason, despite it looking really generic.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: As I said; "Not the macho shonen of the 80s..."

Jormungand: Still haven't seen the first series so probably not...

K: Just to find out what the heck it's about.

Kamisama Hajimemashita: A girl falls in love with a god and he likes her back? The god is also a hot bishonen? Maybe if it was an OVA, but bishonen cannot carry for 12-26 episodes.

Litchi DE Hikari Club: I heard this was a 4koma comedy adaptation, if it's the original I might check it out once the season is over.

Little Busters: Not KyoAni seems to be the thing with everybody, haven't seen any Key Visual Works stuff and this doesn't seem to be the thing that will change my mind.

Magi - Labyrinth of Magic: Shaping up to be the next big shonen thing alongside Fairy Tail. I'm glad that Bleach and Naruto's tired premises have given in but I'm still not watching it.

Medaka Box: Is this the one where it gets better, as the fans have said over and over and over and over and over and over?

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne: The title is literally "He's my brother, but as long as we're in love it shouldn't matter", that should really speak for itself.

PsychoPass: I really liked it until Urobuchi's name was attached. I'm afraid this will be is "crash and burn" work judging from all the obvious dark going in, but I'll still watch because I still have hope.

Robotics;Notes: The one Weirdly;Named series set in a high school club! Definite watch after all my Fourze withdrawal.

The Pet Girl of the Sakura Hall: I don't even know what to say to that name...

Seitokai no Ichizon Hekiyoh Gakuen Seitokai Gijiroku: After the season's over, this show isn't good enough for me to remember it airs every week.

Shin Sekai Yori: Obvious watch, now people aside from Commie should sub it already...

Say "I love you": A girl falls in love with a popular schoolboy and he likes her back? The popular schoolboy is also a hot bishonen? Maybe if it was an OVA, but bishonen cannot carry for 12-26 episodes.

Teekyuu!: If it's a good slice of life show I'll check it out after the season is over.

To Love-Ru Darkness: When your show is marketed as sci-fi (awesome) slash ecchi (not awesome) you know you're not marketing to me.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: A girl falls in love with a misunderstood delinquent and he likes her back? The misunderstood delinquent is also a hot bishonen? Maybe if it was an OVA, but bishonen cannot carry for 12-26 episodes.

ZetsuenNoTempest: BONES, nuff said.

• Bakuman: Never seen it, no interest.

The manga is pretty good.  From what I've seen of the anime and what I've heard from others about it though, it basically focuses on all the shitty parts of the manga while ignoring the good parts.

Chuunibyou: KyoAni's newest show with the least interesting premise ever. I don't think even they can make this intriguing in the slightest (Will eat my words after I declare my love at the end of the season)

It might be fun.  I doubt it'll be anywhere near KyoAni's best, but the 6 minute PV was reasonably funny and if nothing else the character designs are cute.

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb: Hey DYRE Hey DYRE Hey DYRE

I still haven't even watched the third season yet... >.>  But it's just the 1st and 2nd episodes that I need to see before this season starts apparently, and I can definitely do that.

Anyway, Hidamari Sketch is amazing and so this season should also be amazing.

Shin Sekai Yori: Obvious watch, now people aside from Commie should sub it already...

First episode is kind of cool.  I still don't like the character designs.  The story has a very high probability of turning to shit at some point, but so far it seems alright.  I hope that I manage to avoid spoilers for this.

InitialD 5th Stage: Car racing anime has never really been my thing.

But Initial D is great.  I won't be watching 5th stage, but that's because I haven't watched the 2nd through 4th seasons yet... >.>  First season was pretty excellent at least.  When I eventually catch up I guess I'll watch 5th stage, but that won't be until it's done airing I guess.

Anyway, my current plan is to watch everything that isn't a sequel to something I haven't seen, but obviously that isn't going to actually happen.  I will at least watch all the first episodes though, and decide what to keep watching from there though.

I'm watching a lot (Shin Sekai Yori, Zetsuen no Tempest, Robotics;Notes, Psycho Pass, K, BTOOM, Gyrozetter, Ixion Saga DT plus Smile! and AO) but I can't manage everything.

The story has a very high probability of turning to shit at some point,

Not likely, the novel it's based on is really critically acclaimed and I'm hoping they just follow it to the letter.

I'm kind of sad that there's no other "They it's a harem" show aside Little Busters since I was hoping to see if harem shows can be good, seems they're all afraid of making an appearance next to it. I guess I'll have to pick up Koichocco then.

Doublepost for Prism Nana PV

Is it possible to go through Mahou Shoujo withdrawal? There really hasn't been anything this year aside from Precure and Symphogear and whenever I see these new PVs I get really excited.

Prism Nana must air in Winter, because I cannot survive without more magical girl shows.

• Medaka Box: Is this the one where it gets better, as the fans have said over and over and over and over and over and over?

No, that's like, something that would show up in a hypothetical 4th/5th season I think.

• edited 2012-09-30 10:23:25
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^ I see you've seen a suicidal bleeding carrot bread, judging by your current avatar.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I do plan to watch Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, I know I like it already. Gintama is one I should start watching.

• Is it possible to go through Mahou Shoujo withdrawal? There really hasn't been anything this year aside from Precure and Symphogear and whenever I see these new PVs I get really excited.

Prism Nana must air in Winter, because I cannot survive without more magical girl shows.

That's because the magical girl genre is dead.  That said, there was also Kuromajo-san ga Tooru this year (and it's still airing, even), so... that's one more show at least.

But anyway, there are tons of older magical girl shows, and I'm sure you haven't seen all of them so... work on your backlog?