If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

edited 2012-06-03 10:55:23 in Media

Because having this thread is a good idea, or something.

To start things off... anyone looking forward to the upcoming anime season?

It looks mostly unremarkable (read: it looks like shit), but I've been pleasantly surprised by a few shows this season, so who knows what will happen next season, right?

Will probably be watching... (at least a few episodes.  I'll probably drop a lot of these)

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse
Yuru Yuri ♪♪
Sword Art Online
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Dog Days'
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Binbou-gami ga!
Ebiten: Kouritsu Ebisugawa Koukou Tenmonbu
Tari Tari
Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!
Campione!
Kokoro Connect
Joshiraku
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Arve Rezzle: Kikaijikake no Yoseitachi
Chitose Get You!!

Bold are the ones I'm most interested in, strikethrough are the ones I'll probably watch an episode or two of but don't really expect anything from.

(lol, copypasta'd from MAL)

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Next season? I probably won't watch a lot because a lot of it doesn't interest me and Eureka Seven AO/AKB0048/Hyouka will still be running, I'll probably use the time to catch up on old shows (still haven't seen Hanasaku Iroha and Lyrical Nanoha's final season).

But I will watch that one about the guy in the yaoi club (Ebiten?), Tari Tari, Estetica and Joshiraku.

Arve Rezzie looked interesting until I found out the plot and I'll give Sword Art Online a few episodes only to listen to Yuki Kaijiura's music since the author also came up with Accel World which is horrible.

• since the author also came up with Accel World which is horrible.

Oh, that explains why the premises sound identical.  Yeah, I don't have particularly high hopes for it anyway, but I figure I'll watch an episode and see what happens, since it's probably going to be popular.

• edited 2012-06-03 22:53:23
    There is love everywhere, I already know

At least it's more obvious about it's harem that Accel World, but Accel World has really pushed the suspension of belief (Hey, did we forget to tell you a basic rule of the game almost halfway through the series? Sorry! Did you know I have a mind erase program despite being a normal girl who is merely very good at a game? I do! Hey protagonist, you're the only avatar in the entire game that can fly! Hey guys, do you forgive me for installing spy programs on your persons? Cool!) Basically like that every episode, and the first even happened twice (With Full Burst and Leveling).

• It's good to know that I was justified in not wanting to watch Accel World then.  Then again, my reasoning was basically

>action, shounen

>lolnope

Which I guess is silly too... >.>

And oh God I just started watching Tamayura and it's like K-ON! except directed by Jun'ichi Satou.  I don't know how to deal with all this cuteness.

Alternatively, how come nobody ever told me about this back when it came out (or when the sequel came out, for that matter)?

• It's a sin that Spirited Away hasn't been released on Blu-Ray yet. Seriously Disney, what gives?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Battleship Yamato started two weeks ago. I must catch up.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Apple mangos or Philippine mangos?

@DYRE: My reasoning usually goes the same way nowadays ever since Bleach became a "Hey guys, it's been three entire chapters since we didn't introduce a new character, so lets do that!" and Naruto sucked at being anything but fodder for yaoi fangirls.

That's why I was wondering if Fairy Tail is any good? Has anybody seen it and is it basically every Shonen ever all over again?

^ I don't know the difference.

^^^ Disney would rather release ten different box sets of Shake It Up containing the exact same episodes than care about an actual cash cow.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

For some reason I find myself mentally identifying Fairy Tail as "that series that somehow reminds me of Atelier but whose appearance reminds me of One Piece".

If it's anything like Atelier I'd probably enjoy it, but I hate shows that go on forever without a point like most shonen does nowadays.

• edited 2012-06-03 23:51:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Note: I have not watched Fairy Tail before, at all.

oops spelling

• edited 2012-06-03 23:36:04

I think I watched the first episode of it back when the anime started.

But really, even something like Death Note had way too much filler and was needlessly long, I thought, so there's no way I could imagine I'd like anything like Fairy Tail and the like.

It's a sin that Spirited Away hasn't been released on Blu-Ray yet. Seriously Disney, what gives?

I don't even know if it's been released on Blu-Ray in Japan yet, so... (at least, I couldn't find it on amazon.co.jp in like 1 minute of searching)

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's Fairy Tail. Not Fairy Tale.

It's fairly generic shonen. Enjoyable, but not even close to the best out there.

• It's Fairy Tail. Not Fairy Tale.

Shit, yeah, I knew that.  Silly typo.

^^ So can you recommend any good, non-filler built shonen?

• edited 2012-06-03 23:52:02
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Fullmetal Alchemist, I guess?

Fuck, I dunno. I don't exactly keep up with every shonen out there.

Naruto is bullshit, relying upon spectacle rather than any real content to draw reader's interest. Bleach does the same.

Fairy Tail has a varied cast, but it's full of filler. The main draw in Fairy Tail is the cast, not the plot or the themes or anything.

One Piece is basically the same as Fairy Tail, but generally has more stuff happening and relies less on filler.

Soul Eater is the same again, but has a much more unique cast than Fairy Tail.

Psyren is probably the tightest shonen out there. It's pretty short, but that's mostly because it was cancelled, and most of it was cancelled before sideplots, etc, were seen through to their resolution. It's always building on its' main plot, though, at least for the sixty chapters that I read.

• edited 2012-06-03 23:54:31
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I've already seen FMA and FMA: Brotherhood but I might look into Psyren when I'm done with all this other stuff I'm watching.

I used to go for Digimon shows because they were usually full of heart and had a fixed length but then Young Hunters Leaping Through Time happened and I realized that not every Digimon show would be enjoyable watchable.

• edited 2012-06-04 00:02:11

Only shounen (action/adventure... in a Jump magazine or similar... etc.) series I was ever really interested in is Tegami Bachi.  Though the anime adaptation has an absurdly large amount of filler considering it's only two 25 episode seasons.  And... I have no idea how the manga is right now since I haven't read it in like a year or more.

• fourteenwings,

So can you recommend any good, non-filler built shonen?

Well, I think plenty of people like Rurouni Kenshin (especially the OVAs/comic), but the original TV series does have filler or at least filler in the same sense that the first Fullmetal Alchemist has filler by having some entirely different plots than the comic.

Buso Renkin is written by the same person and has no real filler from what I can tell. It might be worth checking out to see if it is the kind of thing you would like since we might have different tastes in shows.

I guess Gurren Lagann is another option. I would not be surprised if you had already seen it though.

• edited 2012-06-04 12:48:08
    Has friends besides tanks now

Fairy Tail has a varied cast, but it's full of filler. The main draw in Fairy Tail is the cast, not the plot or the themes or anything.

One Piece is basically the same as Fairy Tail, but generally has more stuff happening and relies less on filler.

I can only glean, from friends' conversations and the little bits that I've seen and read, that Fairy Tail is more generic shonen. At this point, One Piece is actually surprisingly plot-heavy, on account of there's so much that's been revealed about the world that every chapter can and will reference characters and events that have already happened, in a way that's either revealing or indicative of future plot events, while also being a part of the current plot. It's not heavily thematic, but to ask for that would be to ask too much of a fighting shonen, and I can appreciate that at least the better works in the genre don't make any pretensions about being anything but comic books for twelve year olds. And yeah, the cast is pretty strong, too. If you aren't turned off by the art style and the 669(!) chapter length (which is only a little over half of the intended length of the series), it's definitely the first shonen series I'd recommend.

If you were to go through SA's One Piece thread, you could get a more complete idea of why it's so well-enjoyed; they've pointed out strengths that I wouldn't have thought of, and there are still discussions of events that happened a long time ago. Like Nova said, there's actually a lot that happens (although that's kind of a given, since it's a long-runner).

• Heck, I post in that thread and I usually lurk. I regret nothing Oda has said that he's somewhere in the middle of the second third of the series, but this is the same man who said he was almost to Fishman Island back at Skypiea. The main criticisms of the series are the art style and the fact that Oda has a tendency to draw out arcs. The only filler manga arc I can think of is Davy Back, and even that might be setting up for something in the future.

Love your avatar Everest.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds was mildly entertaining, at least the first half.

• edited 2012-06-04 18:17:13

I haven't felt that any arcs were overly drawn out - as in, dawdling instead of giving information (whether for the purposes of worldbuilding or foreshadowing) or advancing the plot(s). That's not to say, though, that some arcs haven't disappointed me. Well, mostly Fishman Island; it was hyped up for years, and the climax was basically just the Straw Hats dominating the bad guys.

I don't get the complaints about Skypeia, though. Might just be me; some have said the arc was boring, but I actually thought it was pretty interesting. And I don't think it was useless/filler-esque, either; it topped the balls-to-the-wall absurdity of any of the previous arcs, and it showed just how useless power level discussions are by giving us Eneru - exempting Luffy's immunity to his powers, he was a fucking beast who would still be a fair threat to the crew if not for Luffy's existence. That's another thing I like about the series: superhuman feats are consistent in impressiveness, from near the beginning (e.g. Mihawk scuttling Don Krieg's galleon with a single slash of his sword way back in volume 6) to now.

Love your avatar Everest.

Thanks!

• Finished Tamayura.  Second two episodes were exactly as good as the first two, so overall I adored it.  Of course it's not for everyone, but as iyashikei ("healing" series, or rather... peaceful, relaxing, slow-paced, minimal conflict, etc.) goes, it's certainly very good.  Hopefully the TV series is as good.

And on a different note, I ended up deciding to catch up with (the scanlation of) Tegami Bachi, since I mentioned it in my last post.  As I remembered, the art is great.  Everything is really clear, it's easy to follow all the action, and there's a lot of detail, especially in the backgrounds.  The writing is mostly average though.  The storyline itself is engaging enough but it does a lot of stupid things along the way (introducing new characters just so something bad can happen to them as a cheap way to get an emotional reaction, etc.).  But one of the main characters has magic sword hair so whatever.

I'd like to see why One Piece is so loved but 669 chapters is way too much, I'll just by whatever volume comes out next in English and see if I like it.

The Madoka Magica manga is really good so far aside from the little art style change, but I'll get used to it.

• The Madoka Magica manga is really good so far aside from the little art style change, but I'll get used to it.

Is it just an adaptation of the anime?  Or is the story different?  Or... something else?

• Wait, One Piece ended?

This is news to me.

• edited 2012-06-04 22:37:43

No, it's far from over. 669 is the most recent chapter, is what I meant.

^^^ I'd recommend something from a different arc besides what's currently being released, personally. Fishman Island isn't that good of an arc.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

which is only a little over half of the intended length of the series

• Oh. I tend to misunderstand things. Comes from my habit of skimming.

• edited 2012-06-04 22:45:41

^^ To be fair, it's more like two-thirds, and I misspoke a bit again.

^ Nah, that was my bad, man. Well, actually, I guess not, but if I just caused another misunderstanding, that's definitely my fault.