If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2012-10-03 13:21:58
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    IJBM: fat-lipped characters in anime.  It's like they're drawn to be ugly.

Do you mean black people or gonk?

I seriously consider Haruyuki to be ugly.

Okay then.

• edited 2012-10-03 14:09:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Gonk, probably.  A more subtle case is the (allegedly) fat miner from Ys Oath, who always has rounded and conspicuous lips in his portrait art.  It's like he was deliberately drawn in an uglier style.

On the other end of the aesthetics spectrum, I'm becoming attracted by Cure Passion's awesome and I haven't even started watching Fresh yet.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

The eighth episode of serial experiments: lain has to be one of the most disturbing things that I have ever seen.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, man, I need to finish that series. I don't remember where I left off, though. I was liking it, but then real life caught up to me, or something.

Wait, it's all on YouTube? Nice.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Yep. Funi have been doing pretty well in the whole "streaming awesome things for free" department.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I've tried to watch the series a few times, but I'm always partly into the first episode when I remember why the writer created it, laugh at how stupid he is and stop watching.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I hereby decree that someone recommends me an anime. 

Genre isn't a hugely major concern, but you guys know how my tastes run and the kind of media I tend to enjoy. It doesn't really matter if the anime in question isn't that insightful or otherwise doesn't meet all the objective criteria for an exceptional piece; it being fun, entertaining and decently-paced is enough. 

• edited 2012-10-03 20:36:44

^^ That's literally the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not watching a show, stop it.

^^Have you seen Darker than Black?

^If I think the writer is an idiot, I'm not very likely to expect good things from his work, though.

• edited 2012-10-03 20:43:22
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^^ Baccano! or Eden of the East, I guess.

Or Welcome to the N.H.K., as a work to think about from a point of real-world relevance.

• edited 2012-10-03 20:42:54
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ Nope, although I'm a little wary of it given how seriously it takes itself, at least as implied by the trailers. To compare, I watched Witch Hunter Robin a while back. It was a solid anime with a lot of good ideas, but its straight-faced resolve to be serious almost all the time left a gap in how well I could connect to the characters. I wouldn't say it was a hugely dark show, but for all its strengths, the characters often fell flat for me because it was difficult to experience them as human beings rather than vessels for the plot. 

But perhaps I'm overanalysing the similarities based only on trailer footage. 

^ Baccano! is good times. If you're using Eden of the East as an example in the same sentence, then I suppose you would consider it comparable in quality? 

• edited 2012-10-03 20:43:37
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Nope, although I'm a little wary of it given how seriously it takes itself, at least as implied by the trailers.

It only takes itself seriously about half the time. There are several episodes that are entirely comedic, and I can only think of maybe one that's serious for its entire duration.

• edited 2012-10-03 20:47:38

If you're using Eden of the East as an example in the same sentence, then I suppose you would consider it comparable in quality? 

It's the next action-y thing I can think of that I don't know whether you've already seen it. But if you want a comparison, I thought Eden of the East was significantly better than Baccano!; they're not the same, but Isaac and Miria take the cake to the point where everything else in the series fell flat, for me, whereas there wasn't a lot in EotE that felt lackluster or trumped by its own design. I've taken you for primarily a fan of action series, so these are what I was thinking of. But, again, Welcome to the N.H.K. is also good. It does a pretty good job of handling the whole emotional spectrum, if I recall correctly.

• You can change. You can.

I've tried to watch the series a few times, but I'm always partly into the first episode when I remember why the writer created it, laugh at how stupid he is and stop watching.

You have spiked my curiosity.

• edited 2012-10-03 20:46:38
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I need to watch Baccano sometime, but its first episode kind of underwhelmed me.

You have spiked my curiosity.

He created the series in order to drive American culture out of Japan forever. I am not joking.

i uh

i'm sorry

but

I don't think I could watch Lain seriously either. 

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-10-03 20:50:55
    Here, There, Everywhere

Are you talking about lain? How so? Oh, yeah, the "let's baffle the Americans" thing. Ignore that. It's not about that. Also, the series is wonderful.

Really, I've had nothing but good experiences with Konaka's writing. His characterisations are particularly fantastic.

Refer to my above post.

• edited 2012-10-03 20:54:37

^^^^, ^^^ Apparently, he was also disappointed when Americans liked it, too.

With that said, I liked what I saw of Lain a lot, so I'll probably give it a chance and not let my bias towards its writer ruin it, in the hopes that his work is smarter than him. I really liked Blood Meridian while I was reading it, knowing full well that McCarthy, while divinely gifted as a craftsman, is an unpleasant snowflake.

• edited 2012-10-03 20:52:38

^^ Taking that comment seriously makes about as much sense as taking anything Hideaki Anno has ever said seriously.  Just let the show speak for itself.  It's actually good, it's just that its creator has no clue what it's about.

Just let the show speak for itself.  It's actually good, it's just that its creator has no clue what it's about.

In theory, I'd like to do this, but this is like if someone told me a book was really good, deep and intelligently written and I picked it up, flipped to the "about the author" page and saw a picture of a three-year-old. I can no longer take it seriously.

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-10-03 20:56:04
    Here, There, Everywhere

I edited my post.

But yeah, I assume that you're referring to how Konaka's belief/hope that American anime fans would find lain too confusing to latch onto and was really disappointed when they interpreted it exactly the same way that the Japanese did. Yeah. He's gotten over it; last I checked, he finds it kind of cool now.

He's an odd guy. Very... ambitious? A little insane? But that's what makes his writing interesting.

Yeah. He's gotten over it; last I checked, he finds it kind of cool now.

That's cool. But I couldn't fault Clock if he decided not to watch it anyway, given that it was still conceived under such a silly pretense, or at least marketed under such a silly pretense.

• a little muffled

@ClockworkUniverse: Quoth Wikipedia:

He later explained in numerous interviews that he created Lain with a set of values he took as distinctly Japanese; he hoped Americans would not understand the series as the Japanese would. This would lead to a "war of ideas" over the meaning of the anime, hopefully culminating in new communication between the two cultures. When he discovered that the American audience held the same views on the series as the Japanese, he was disappointed.
    So maybe not quite as stupid as that?

@MadassAlex: Yeah, DTB has plenty of mood-lightening moments. It is, despite its title, not really all that dark, most of the time anyway. Well, season 1 anyway. I liked season 2 but it's probably a little closer to being what you fear.

That being said a large portion of the main cast are allegedly "emotionless", and while one of the major points of the series is that that is not quite accurate, connecting with them emotionally isn't necessarily going to be easy. Hei is our protagonist but often it's hard to figure out what his motivation even is.

• I hereby decree that someone recommends me an anime. 

Genre isn't a hugely major concern, but you guys know how my tastes run and the kind of media I tend to enjoy. It doesn't really matter if the anime in question isn't that insightful or otherwise doesn't meet all the objective criteria for an exceptional piece; it being fun, entertaining and decently-paced is enough.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Noimporta is officially back.

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-10-03 21:08:26
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^^ It's actually a really cool (if naïve) idea. Again, crazy is good here. Makes the show more interesting

^^ I have literally heard nothing but praise for Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but dear GOD is it long...

• It's shorter than The Wire, Babylon 5, The Sopranos, etc. It looks longer because it's listed as being 110 episodes, instead of being broken down in seasons. I usually recommend watching My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars first, because it's short, and, while nowhere near the series' peak in quality, it's a nice introduction that jumps directly to the "fun".