If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Neither of, actually. My complaint comes from the fact that a lot of the scenes in the show tend to overstay their welcome and linger too much on a feeling or information that was already conveyed to us, thus creating a sense of redundancy. 

• Oh. Maybe.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It drags a little in the middle with Madoka dilly-dallying over being a magi which -if you have a basic conception of story structure- you already knew was inevitable.

• I kind of wish it didn't wait until the very last episode, but whatever.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I think the point is that Madoka is more an observer than anything. She's the conduit by which we experience what the hell is going on, so her remaining mundane for the majority of the show is a way for us to experience everything from a position of powerlessness -- which is very much in line with the themes of Madoka. 

• I'd say Madoka taking so long to decide on a wish is probably another influence from Kamen Rider Ryuki. A major point of Ryuki's internal struggle is that while he is ultimately a good guy, he has no idea what he actually wishes for, or even what's the right thing to do.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I don't disagree with this in the slightest and the way the narrative is set up there's no way her taking her powers could have been anything but the last episode. I'm just saying that there were points I felt that her deliberating on it were pointless because I knew it wouldn't happen until the last episode, which would have been fine but her conversations with Kyubey never felt like she'd reasonably take the deal until then.

• edited 2013-01-27 01:41:33
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^^ This, pretty much. Additionally, the viewer knows early on that Madoka has the power to change the world very drastically, and the whole plot is simply comprised of the events that would lead up to her transformation, and it's about her making the right/wrong choice with her wish. Like Malk said ^, I don't really think she could have become a magical girl earlier without ending the plot (for better or worse) anyway, and so the idea is that the viewer keeps watching because they either care about the characters and want as happy an ending as possible and/or they want to see if Madoka makes the right wish so as not to fuck things up even further. To me, it's ultimately a story of faith and personal growth in times of great distress and responsibility.

Of course, this doesn't exactly mean that Madoka might not have had pacing issues, but I don't exactly know what could have been done to prevent that within a one-cour show. Pacing might have been better if it had been a six-episode series, but then it probably wouldn't have had as much emotional pull or financial/viewership success.

• Okay, I finally finished Symphogear.

Spoiler:
    Their final upgrades didn't look very good to me, but they're not nearly the worst I've seen for super modes. The second division people have been kinda pathetic, combat-wise. Couldn't the show have had them done more?Also, I hope the supposed second season will explore how the hell the three of them managed to get back at the end.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I hope the second season will suck less, but it probably won't.

• Eh, I liked it pretty much, as it is. None of the characters really annoyed me, except for that girl who kept going talking about how real life isn't an anime, but mainly 'cos they could've been more clever about it.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I hope the supposed second season will explore how the hell the three of them managed to get back at the end.

That's actually explained!...

In a Japanese only databook.

Basically the Hibiki was still alive and as long as her gear resonated with the other's still active gear they could be resurrected (There's an entire tangent about how this is why only one of the girls needed to be singing in previous battles for all the gear to power up but I don't think it's necessary).

I like Tsubasa and Chris' upgrades (Especially Chris'), Hibiki's doesn't really add much.

Couldn't the show have had them done more?

Well, all I can really think about anyone not the main girls doing is research on the origins of Gungnir, Ame no Habakiri and Ichii-Bal but that probably won't happen.

Plus Genjuro does enough for all of them.

I hope the second season will suck less, but it probably won't.

Rest assured I'll give it a 10 anyways.

• edited 2013-01-27 10:28:38

Well, considering that they've been researching the relics a lot, I think they should have say, provided extra weapons for the girls to use or gadgets powered by relics, or  some sort of device that amplified their power. Buuut that just wouldn't work with the show's aesthetic, with how weapons get pulled out of nothing.

Also, the whole "everybody else gives me strength" thing Hibiki had going on, especially with how the Lydia students' singing revived her makes me wanna ask: is there an anime where the main charcaters' buddies, instead of just "giving strength" to the MC in a vague way, actually become their final upgrade? Yeah, it would've looked weird if it happened here, and the only example of that happening I can think of is Ultraman Mebius, but doing that would have emphasized the whole "this strength is not jus my own" angle better.

I'd like to see extra weapons and I think those could work (New songs to turn tiny crystals into weapons/upgrades with new weapons? Why not?)

actually become their final upgrade?

There should be at least 10 shows with that type of thing happening, but I know none of them. Maybe Vividred will eventually have this happen, since episode 2 had Akane sort of become an upgrade for Aoi.

• Maybe Vividred will eventually have this happen, since episode 2 had Akane sort of become an upgrade for Aoi.

Actually, I think that happens in every episode.  Since episode three does it with Akane and Wakaba.

So presumably by the last episode we'll get every character combining together and it'll be all "Vividred Operation!" and we'll be like "Oh hey I see what you did there."

Thought so. The Vividred part, not the every episode docking part.

• edited 2013-01-27 12:08:00

I recently continued watching My-HiME and finished ep 16 just now. I can finally see where the Kamen Rider Ryuki comparison(s) came from.

Spoiler:
    So the HiMEs all have to fight each other, and Nagi is looking a lot like Shiro Kanzaki now. That his hair and eye color make him resemble a humanized Kyubey helps. The post-episode segment confirms that Orphans and Childs are literally the same thing, just that the latter is bonded to a HiME. Another point for the Ryuki comparison.

But damn, I'm annoyed that it took 16 episodes just to get to the premise.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You stopped at the same place I did, after episode 15?

I guess I have to pick it up too.

Also, those two things being "literally the same thing" makes sense given the terms for them.  Though...just what the heck are they anyway?

• ^ I didn't intentionally stop, actually, just that things gotten in the way of me actually watching the DVD set I have, and it was at episode 12.

Also, whatever those things are, I hope they don't have the same origin as the Mirror/Contract monsters of Ryuki,'cos that would make this show a little too much of a copy.

Me neither; I got up to 15 and then real life got in the way.

Thank you GMH for reminding me this exists.

The tumblr post where that was found has since been moved or removed, so I don't know where the other two images are.

However, this is the best one of the three.

• ^^ The picture isn't appearing for me, so your post just looks confusing. But "view selection source" gives me  http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/tumblr_mg6h38HYoz1r2qdjeo3_1280_350w_6556.png

• edited 2013-01-27 12:40:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Here, I'll post an instance not hosted on TVT (which does not allow other sites to hotlink to it):

Sassy Mana is Sassy:

• I just saw the first episode of Vividred and I got really strong Mazinger Z vibes. Well, Shin Mazinger since that was the version I watched. I mean, the main character lives with their younger sibling and their grandfather. Said grandfather was involved in the research for some futuristic energy source, and provides the main character with a flying motorbike, and superhuman powers. Hell, the grandpa even sort of "dies" before the episode is finished.

This was, well, not a good first impression for me. Not because I think this is a bad show, but because it makes me want to watch Shin Mazinger again, instead of going straight into episode 2. Now I'm expecting Akane to go "Pilder on!" at some point. I'd say that for a show to be enjoyable, it needs to at least make me want to keep watching, and if it makes me very specifically want to watch something else, then something's wrong. I never really had this happen simply because a show was too similar to something else, at least not in recent memory, so this kinda bugs me.

The color-coded naming sounds a little silly to me. Aka(ne) has red hair, Momo has pink, and Aoi has blue. It's like Akibaranger or something. I don't mind other kinds of "thematic" naming, but naming the characters after their hair colors just feels silly, and not in a good way.

Fuu Hououji has blond hair.

You needed to know this because this is tangentially related to theme-naming and hair colors.

• And Wakaba (leaf) has green hair and Himawari (sunflower) has yellow hair.

Also the characters have numeric naming as well, based on their order of appearance (or maybe the order of getting their powers, but that's the same anyway).

Anyway, color names are really common in anime, and Vividred Operation is meant to be kind of silly and lighthearted anyway, and I think the theme naming works for that.

Momo has pink

I still want a Vividpink Operation!

• The end of episode one, when Akane gave Momo a piggyback ride was Vividmomo Operation!

Although yeah I want Momo to be in the team.

But her number name would conflict with Akane's, so I guess it could never work out.

• edited 2013-01-28 03:16:38
    There is love everywhere, I already know

OVA one time thing?

K 05: There was lots to read into here. I liked it a lot. I didn't expect this kind of character depth from K. It was really fun to watch everybody go on and show who they were and the subtleties of how they interacted with others (Not so much the Yata/Saruhiko fight, but everything surrounding it).

Best character award goes to Rikio.

Then again, might be because the episode was spent on the dynamics between the followers of the kings and not the shonen-ai adventures of Shiro, Kuroh and Schoolgirl Cat.

I wonder whose erasing Shiro from peoples minds...

One complaint: What is with Mamoru Miyano's crazy voice today? It (surprisingly) wasn't very good.

Another complaint: >Backstory for Red and Blue clans light novel only

ARGHHhaaaaaaaaRGHHH