If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2011-11-29 19:25:48

Are even the financial need ones essay-based?

Also, yeah, we all know which majors essay requirements favour.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I thought colleges were leaning away from essays for applications. I know at least half the colleges I applied for waived them...
  • He was talking about scholarships.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    /me wishes his GPA was higher
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The colleges I apply to better pay attention to my damn essay. :V

If they don't, I'm not getting accepted anywhere good.
  • Are US schools really that competitive? The entrance requirements for a lot of Edmonton colleges and universities seems to only be about a 65-80% average.
  • You can change. You can.
    Bluh, just watched the walking dead.

Sucked as much as i expected.

Well, at least I'm watching AHS. Everything's good
  • edited 2011-11-29 20:55:29
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "The colleges I apply to better pay attention to my damn essay. :V

If they don't, I'm not getting accepted anywhere good."

Conversely, I hate the concept of having to sell myself to colleges, and so the first draft of my essay was rather . . . too candid (it's based off of a day at work, and in fact I had to tone it down a bit, what with swearing in front of my supervisor and all), but my GPA is fairly high, and I did really well on the SAT.

^^ Isn't a 50 a passing grade in Canada? A 65, by American education standards, is a failing grade, I'm pretty sure (or at least, at my school, anything below a 70 fails). So a 65 in Canadian education is probably closer to 80's here.

EDIT: Holy fuck, there are some stupid Americans (specifically, Americans who don't realize that Canadian grading is, you know, going to be different and be held to a different standard).
  • edited 2011-11-29 20:52:13
    @ sadist: -huggles recieved- Things have been shaping up lately!~ :) And yerp, it is.
  • edited 2011-11-29 20:55:15
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ I did really well on the SAT, but my grades the last two years haven't been especially high, but it was because of health problems more than anything. They aren't gonna realize that without my essay.

Not having read the essay: Eh, this kid is nothing special. Not the kind of awesomeness we want in our school.

Having read the essay: Holy shit, he had all those health issues, and he still worked hard enough to get those grades? Accepted!
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Ah. You see, my life ain't that interesting, so I'm using a mundane backdrop for exposition; the idea is that I describe myself through daydreaming on the job and talking to the boss.
  • edited 2011-11-29 21:35:35

"Isn't a 50 a passing grade in Canada? A 65, by American education standards, is a failing grade, I'm pretty sure (or at least, at my school, anything below a 70 fails). So a 65 in Canadian education is probably closer to 80's here."

Yeah, 50 is the passing grade and you can get an A- with an 80. To be honest, I'm not sure whether that implies Canada rewards mediocrity or whether the US overvalues grades, but knowing how the curve works in university (average is about B- in first year and rises to B+ in fourth year engineering), there's probably a difference in how strict the marking is. Also, Canadian grade schools don't have GPA's, or at least that I know of.

• edited 2011-11-29 21:45:20
    Silence is golden.

Yeah, 50 is the passing grade

That may be true in the rest of the country, but the passing grade is 60% for nearly everything in Québec.

• No rainbow star

My professor had us watch this in class today

I am not entirely sure what I watched
    Passing grade is 70 in colombia.

Yay, high standards of mediocrity.

Also, i'm starting to think i have daddy issues.
  • Still no word from the school's counselor. I was assured it'd be by today at the latest.

Not surprising, really. The school is excellent, but the administration is an absolute joke.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I've spent more time reading for pleasure in the last week than I have in six months.

Feels good, man.
    @anonus: my feelings for dad are rather complicated.
  • Juan - There's a lot of members in that club, including me. It's probably better than seeing your father as perfect or blindly hating him. It's more realistic.

It's just...hurm...how do i put it?

How do you describe someone who you admire and yet despise?

Because...well, yeah.

Blah, i guess i'll have to deal with the therapist.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Whee, daddy issues.

I think most of us have complex views on at least one parent.
  • Got dumped.

Gonna go drink myself stupid.
    Damn, Conductor.

I wish I could raise a tankard of mead with you.
    @alex: aye.

Oh well, i guess there's not much i can do till friday.
  • So, the archetypical NiceGuy and an old highschool brodette are in a relationship, according to Facebook. Reactions of "I already knew" and "it's about time" confirm that her closest social circle now consists almost entirely of unstable emo douchenozzles.

Welp, that at least solves the dilemma of which of the break-uppers not to invite for the vacation reunion dinner I'll never get to planning.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
  • Put simply for me, there's a cognitive dissonance in being told about that perfect nuclear family that everyone seems to have and realizing that your family is not like that. And later on learning that you've been lied to about that perfect nuclear family.

And I must admit, the reason I tend to be wary about people complaining about their parents is because I don't see the other side of the story on the Internet.

I don't thinkk the other side matterss much when it comes to the person's own problems and feelings when it comes to their parents. I mean, they would in other context, such as when Chagen made accusations of abuse, both verbal and so on, but in this case, it's more of a personal problem and perception of my father as well as the things I kknow about him and how they relate to me (Like his AS)
    Yeah, some tensions are very reasonably expressed. I know what causes friction between my father and myself, for instance, and why I subtly avoid his company. I don't hate him at all -- far from it. But there's some differences in perspective and some things I'm not entirely sure I want to say, or know how to, before anything can progress. When it comes to my distance with my father, I very much see his point of view, but I'm not sure he sees mine.