If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-06-26 17:07:05

The thing is, adding content that increases replayability only actually matters if people are willing to play through the game in the first place.

As for putting the interesting content earlier in the game... that's a very silly thing for them to suggest since it implies that they're aware that there is uninteresting content in their game, and if that's the case, they should probably consider making that content better and maybe people would actually be willing to play through it...

• edited 2012-06-26 17:56:01
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

la noire + DLC for $7.50

y/n

• edited 2012-06-26 17:56:23
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Sure. It's...flawed, but worth playing.

• The developers of the next Hitman game think only 1 in 5 people will finish it because gamers tend to move onto other games so fast.

To fix it, they've added more side stuff to do like collection quests and placed all the interesting content at the start...wait, that's supposed to make the player more likely to finish the game? Huh?

They sure are making quality decisions all around with that game, aren't they?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

la noire + DLC for $7.50

y/n

I'd say it's worth it, but the Steam Summer Sale is coming up soon...

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Oh god, I forgot about the summer sale.

That thing is going to bleed me dry.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Thankfully, I can't use my Paypal.  How convenient.

• edited 2012-06-26 20:11:24

Just finished Mass Effect.

New ending is...okay.

Spoiler:
    Some of the big plot holes are still there, but there's a lot more character stuff and you actually get to feel like your choices matter, and that, not plot, is what actually made the series good. The new ending was silly, but kinda cool just in that it exists.

I still say indoctrination as an ending could have been one of the best moments in videogame storytelling, but the current ending is certainly acceptable.

I think I'll probably get a blog article about the ending and how the whole thing relates to Bioware's writing and storytelling in general.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

These faces are distracting and I'm bad at cars.  :V

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The reason the tells are so crazy is because they recorded realistic ones, then decided the game was too hard like that, so they made everyone look like they're having a seizure whenever they lie.

• edited 2012-06-26 22:35:12
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I haven't even gotten to the suspect questioning stuff yet.  I just find myself getting hypnotized by the faces and missing dialogue.

I have heard that before, though.

Oh, okay. Yeah, they are kinda weird even before that.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Just finished The Witcher 2 (again). 

It's an amazing game in a variety of different ways, but I think it really, really nails the nature of magic. In the game, you have five magical "Signs" -- minor spells. These are essentially medieval Force powers, like a mind trick, burst of kinetic energy, a magical shield and whatnot. You're a Witcher, though, not a true mage; what magicks you have at your disposal are a minor taste of the true thing. "Real" mages can call comets from the heavens and rain them down on troops, teleport at will and shield entire areas from harm. Yet even this magic is shallow, the tip of the iceberg. 

The real magic in the game is in the natural world. The most powerful tool against monsters, for instance, is silver; not even magical blasts match it for wounding unnatural creatures. Common herbs can be combined for a variety of effects, such as potions that knit wounds together or enhance one's magical focus. Dragons are the most magical creatures on the planet, but the immediate runners-up? Cats. In fact, cats famously love to nap at sites of magical significance and activity, going to places that most animals avoid. 

It's like the concept of "deep magic" in Narnia -- for all the fireballs, energy shields and whatnot, there exists a level of magic in the world that is deeply natural and impossible to shape or bend by force of will. Silver can be forged into a sword, but it's still silver; herbs can be mixed into potions, but their contained ingredients are still the active forces at work. For all the mages, monsters and magistrates in the world, it's a Witcher, Geralt of Rivia, who overcomes all obstacles and cannot be stopped. As the player character, he only has access to the primitive Sign magic, but where he excels is in the understanding of the "deep magic". A mage casts fireballs, but Geralt knows that to dispel a curse, one must re-enact the conditions of its casting within a magic circle, and correct the matter by interacting with an apparition of the caster. Why? Not even he may know, but that is the method of correcting a curse. 

In fact, this is a world where curses may be cast unknowingly by common folk, if the right emotions are in play and the intent is sincere. It might take hours, weeks, months or years of that same emotional boiling and those wishes passing through the head of the one responsible for the curse, but it may still happen. 

Overall, the magic makes a semblance of sense, but with plenty of gaps of ignorance and theorising. There are some "rules", but they're subject to context and circumstance. Just know that if you witness a black cat pass under a ladder, you may just need to find a Witcher. 

• edited 2012-06-27 01:55:12

In the game, you have five magical "Signs" -- minor spells

Question: is more than one sign useful in 2?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Depends on how you like to do things. Quen (the shield Sign) is the most universally useful, but Aard (kinetic blast) can often stun an adversary, setting them up for an instant kill. Axii (mind trick) can be useful for when you're outnumbered, as it turns an adversary into an ally for a while. Yrden (mobility trap) is good against singular tough enemies, as it allows you to move behind them and set up a strong chain of attacks. Igni (fireball) is easily the least useful, since it doesn't do as much damage as a couple of good sword hits, doesn't stun well and doesn't really alter the tactical conditions of a battle. While I found myself using Aard and Quen more often than any others, Axii and Yrden were situationally useful as well.

This time around, though, you have to commit more heavily to certain upgrade paths. My favourite build boosts Quen and Aard on the Sign tree, with some extra Vigor (stamina, essentially) from the same. The rest of my points get sunk into swordsmanship. My general favoured tactic is to either use Quen as error control while dashing around and making flank attacks or to use Aard to break my enemy's position and close in. For the most part, combat is about manipulating time and staggers, so it's no wonder why Quen and Aard are so useful -- the former prevents you from staggering on a hit, while the latter forces an adversary to stagger. Granted, you could also use grenades, which are a good alternative if you have the materials and don't want to use Vigor. 

The combat in the previous game was about a combination of timing your attacks and finding the right potion combinations with which to overcome particular tough battles. Here, the same general theme is carried, except that the real-time nature of the combat means you have to be much sharper in terms of movement and positioning as well. Preparation with potions can still be important, but it's about reconciling your choices of potions with your favoured tactics, especially since the more advanced potions have negative side-effects. For instance, Gadwall gives you strong health regeneration in combat, but reduces the sword damage you deal by 40%. Ergo, it's good for long, drawn-out engagements where survivability is more important than raw damage dealt. On the other hand, if you primarily deal damage via Signs, who cares? You simply get great health regeneration. 

• edited 2012-06-27 04:32:32
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

So I tried to play Bulletstorm today, but, uh...

To play this game, you must sign into your Games for Windows Live account.

Someone please pinch me so I can get out of this nightmare.

• Just finish Mass Effect 3, for the first time, with the DLC. If the scene Forzare mentioned wasn't in there to begin with, I'm really glad I did that first--ye gods, my feels.

Spoiler:
    Is it just me, or did Garrus -lose an arm- in that one?!

Firebert:

Spoiler:
    Nice how you could trigger it by shooting the stupid Star Child, though.[/quoteblock]

...that was an option? Why didn't I think of that.

Also, I think my main criterion for whether I liked the ending was always going to be "do the Rachni show up in it?" And, they didn't. I guess I just really wanted saving the Rachni Queen in the original to be a significant choice. Ah well.

Anyway, I chose "blue".

Spoiler:
    Red didn't seem like it'd solve the problem in the long-term--plus according to Starchild it would've killed EDI and the Geth. Green sounded too much like forcing people to become, well...what the reapers were trying to make them. Plus the starchild was really pushing for it and he's kind of a dick.

Going blue felt slightly hypocritical, given that I'd spent so much time telling TIM he was being a jackdouche, but it was really the best option. I'll admit I was half expecting it to end with "and then I became a tyrannical dictator! For their own good! Bwahahaha!" but fortunately that didn't happen.

I'm definitely going to see what the other endings were like though. If nothing else, I can say with certainty everything about Priority: Earth was really intense and wonderful.

• edited 2012-06-27 05:14:34
    smote

...so apparently, the voice in the post-credits scene was Buzz Aldrin!? That's awesome.

• edited 2012-06-27 10:30:28

...that was an option? Why didn't I think of that.

Don't worry about it; that was pretty much just added as a "fuck you" to people who didn't like the original ending, i.e. everyone.

Igni (fireball) is easily the least useful, since it doesn't do as much damage as a couple of good sword hits, doesn't stun well and doesn't really alter the tactical conditions of a battle

It's...actually the one I was referring to when I said it's the useful one >.>

Any enemy you can hit with a strong attack goes down in about a quarter of the time if you Igni them first and have the upgrades that make burning enemies take extra damage from strong attacks. I've never really been in a situation where I really needed the other ones.

Don't worry about it; that was pretty much just added as a "fuck you" to people who didn't like the original ending, i.e. everyone.

At that point in the story, I honestly have no idea how else rejecting the Catalyst could have played out.

They really went all in with the Crucible thing. If that didn't work then everyone would be fucked.
  • And that ending was actually pretty good, even though it was a blatant "Fuck you, pick a color, True Art" thing.

Red still seemed like the best to me,

Spoiler:
    if only to spite the little fuck and because apparently "everyone who survived would fix everything in a short time" O_o. Also seriously, baby krogan and Zaeed.

^^That's true, but it's still
    Spoiler:
    a "rocks fall anyone dies" that happens if you indicate that you don't like the ending.
  • It was great how

Spoiler:
    author insert threw a tantrum if you chose that ending. "SO BE IT!"

They could at least have shown the fleet get destroyed or something rather than just go straight to Liara's capsule. At least the next generation beat the Reapers for good, though.

• Kichigai birthday!!

It's been released

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I...don't know what to think of that.

On one hand, it completely fits.

On the other...

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-06-27 13:23:57

That was singlehandedly the most disturbingly hilarious video they've released yet.

That Yellow Submarine-ish "flamethrower" should be an actual weapon. Then again, that's probably what Valve is doing already.

• You can change. You can.

come on, we all knew the pyro would remain a riddle wrapped in an enigma shrouded in mystery

Um. Wow.

• Kichigai birthday!!

/v/ is hilarious right now. So much hurt in da butt

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118139-Details-Leak-on-New-Mass-Effect-3-DLC-Leviathan

More Mass Effect singleplayer DLC is coming. Sadly, it won't improve the ending.