If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-06-26 11:17:07
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So what they're saying is that if Kingdom Hearts or TWEWY had had "Final Fantasy" in the title, they'd have released an FFVII remake by now?

Really, it kinda sounds like they're only going to do it when people stop wanting them to.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

ME3 extended cut: downloading.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Same.

80%...

• I'm a damn twisted person

So yeah Dead Space 2... you won my heart over once I realized you let the player control cutscenes! Sure they are basically aiming or dodging events without annoying quicktime hi jinks. But still that sequence where you shoot out of the solar array and rocket back down to the Sprawl Iron Man style? Classic. Or fighting zombie raptors in space to get the "Clever Girl" achievement.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

those fucking zombie raptors

I've found that the levitating circular saw works best on them. Prowl around to corners and drop it and turn around really fast to hopefully catch the fuckers right in the saw blades. 

• edited 2012-06-26 12:30:41
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Well, Ninja Gaiden 3 was disappointingly easy. I've gotten used to a level of demand from these ga- WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN I WAS PLAYING ON HARD MODE THE WHOLE TIME?

As for Dead Space, it's a pretty fun game. I'm just disappointed it wasn't scary.

That's what I always ended up using on them.  I'd usually stasis them as soon as the charge started and then take all their limbs.  Loved that gun.

Still a pain in the ass, though.

It wasn't scary once I realized I was playing the love child of Iron Man and MacGuyver. Granted the whole intro straightjacket level was hell because of how squishy and helpless you were. One thing that bugged me about the game was I could only get the flashlight on when aiming a weapon. You would think an engineer's suit of all things would have a built in head/shoulder mounted flashlight you could toggle on and off. 

• edited 2012-06-26 13:16:54

Finished the Cerberus base. I'll get my EMS up to 4000 before I do Earth.

As for Dead Space, it's a pretty fun game. I'm just disappointed it wasn't scary.

Same here, pretty much.

• You can change. You can.

Re: FFVII: I really don't understand why people want a remake of FFVII. At least, a remake by Square. I mean, if they were competent, then I'd be all up for it, but, well, uh

Speaking of Dead Space, the Ask Isaac tumblr is hilarious. 

• edited 2012-06-26 14:29:51
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Re: FFVII: I really don't understand why people want a remake of FFVII. At least, a remake by Square. I mean, if they were competent, then I'd be all up for it, but, well, uh

I think there are essentially two good reasons to remake a game:

1. Re-releasing it on another platform, or

2. Making significant alterations to the gameplay, plot, characters, lore and whatnot. 

Thing is, FFVII is already on PSN and fans wouldn't tolerate any significant changes to it. It's also such a massive game that remaking it would be hell in terms of labour of content production. Square probably has the capacity to pull it off if they dropped everything else, and while I have no interest in further Final Fantasy releases, I'd hate to think that such an action would prevent Square from creating something new and interesting. Insofar as they're willing to do that, anyway. 

• edited 2012-06-26 14:40:27
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

From what I read, Famitsu originally was pretty tough with their review scores (which is probably why they have such a good reputation and are even in the west relatively well-known), but loosened their standards more and more over time. Apparently, they also gave Skyrim 40/40.

Oh god, they gave Kingdom Hearts II 39/40. This nearly kills their credibility.

Scoring systems, IMO, are pretty inherently flawed.

After all, if Skyrim is perfect, why is DLC coming out for it soon?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

DUN DUN DUNNNN

• edited 2012-06-26 14:45:39

I don't think any reviewer seriously suggests that getting the highest possible score means a game is actually perfect.  Just that it is extremely heavily recommended, a thoroughly great game, etc.

Besides, DLC is mostly meant to increase a game's longevity, and not necessarily make the game any better.

• edited 2012-06-26 15:05:12

Which is a perfect segue into ME3's Extended Cut! The new ending was cool, but

Spoiler:
    Destroy
    is still the Best.

Haven't finished it yet. I hope people who have will put any info about it in spoilertags.

• edited 2012-06-26 15:10:14

Will do. It was disappointing, but unsurprising, that the new ending

Spoiler:
    was just a glorified Bad End. Nice how you could trigger it by shooting the stupid Star Child, though.
    They did manage to make
    Spoiler:
    Destroy even more unambiguously Best than before by adding baby krogan and Zaeed relaxing on a patio drinking. Seriously

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

The new Skyrim DLC looks brilliant -- shame the core game's combat plays like a sack of bricks, which means the Van Helsing shenanigans are going to be slow and meandering. 

I don't think any reviewer seriously suggests that getting the highest possible score means a game is actually perfect.  Just that it is extremely heavily recommended, a thoroughly great game, etc.

Even then, numbered review systems tend to fall apart, since they're so arbitrary.

• I don't know about that.  I do certainly think that they don't have nearly as much meaning as people often seem to act like they do (read:they don't really matter all that much), but at the very least, if a game is consistently getting high scores from many different reviewers, then it's probably worth at least looking into.  Likewise, a game that is only getting very low scores is probably best avoided.  Obviously it doesn't really account for individual taste or anything, but the thing is... nobody can really read every single review that comes out for every single game (and in fact, most people aren't even aware of most games that are coming out), but it is pretty easy to just look at scores and at least be able to get an idea of what games are generally considered to be worth playing.

• edited 2012-06-26 16:08:09
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

So I just got to the beam and

Spoiler:
    oh my god that last scene I got where Shepard shoves Liara into the Normandy made my chest hurt.

Up to that point, they're fairly harmless (though I think a thing at the top of each review with brief bullet points of the good and bad would be superior), but you have to consider that Metacritic-driven design is becoming more common these days, and that...isn't harmless.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I really think that fine-grained score scales (such as 40 points) are too much detail for a review.  A game that scores 35/40 shouldn't be seen as necessarily better than a game that scores 33/40, but that sort of thinking is encouraged by use of a linear score.

I think that a 5-point or 10-point score is most reasonable to give people a general idea of a game, along with a thorough commentary about what it contains and why it does or doesn't work.

• edited 2012-06-26 16:56:37
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Just finished with the Destroy ending.

I'm okay with it.

• edited 2012-06-26 16:58:34

The developers of the next Hitman game think only 1 in 5 people will finish it because gamers tend to move onto other games so fast.

To fix it, they've added more side stuff to do like collection quests and placed all the interesting content at the start...wait, that's supposed to make the player more likely to finish the game? Huh?

• You can change. You can.

In theory, it's supposed to keep your attention onto the game

Honestly, I just applaud the notion of getting everything from the start rather than paying time and money to get more stuff to complete a half-assed game.