If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-06-22 13:12:35
    You can change. You can.

Son of Revolver Ocelot and Big Boss is the guy with the magic revolvers and the eye-patch.

ETA: To be honest, all those three don't add much complexity to the game, though. It's just that you now have to run around a lot, dodging everything till they give you an opening.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Neh, maybe. I'm not inclined to cut the KH series any slack since their plotting and story has gotten so convoluted their heads have become buried so deep in their asses they have no torso to speak of. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So you mean their ass loops around to their ass?

• Wait, apparently KH3D has some sort of "Recap" feature, that basically serves to fill in newcomers on the story so far. I don't think that's really what it's called, but it's useful.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

that basically serves to fill in newcomers on the story so far

So that means I don't have to restart and finish KH2 if I want to know what the hell is going on? I might actually have to buy it then.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-06-22 13:37:47

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/21/kingdom-hearts-3ds-memoir-option-lets-you-recap-previous-games/

Welp, it's an actual feature. I thought I was mis-remembering something.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I just played the demo of a very interesting game called Folklore. It's a mystery themed around the afterlife and Celtic mythology, which would be absolutely great if the gameplay followed the tone of the story. I love the idea, the game looks nice and the story so far has been very interesting, but it's a bit jarring to go from being a journalist brewing over a mystery in a Celtic village to entering the Netherworld and fighting off aggressive spirits with minor summons. The demo is on PSN, and I really, really think it's worth a try because it's such an interesting experience. That said, I think the game might have been better off if it presented the afterlife and Celtic mythology stuff in a horroresque fashion with gameplay built around survival and journalism. 

I only played the demo through with one of the two characters, though, so it might fit better for the other one. All the same, the Folklore demo suggests an interesting, competent game that simply begs for a better game. I'd absolutely love a mystery-horror game themed around the afterlife and Celtic mythology, but this is more like mystery meets mons. All the same, I can't say a bad word about the creativity that's gone into this game, because it's a work of intense imagination and I'm glad it was made. 

• edited 2012-06-22 15:44:19
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'll check that out at some point.

Quantum Conundrum continues to be awesome. Really hard though.

• edited 2012-06-22 15:50:19
    But you never had any to begin with.
  • LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-22 16:42:53

Since we can't find Mass Effect, I've taken to watch my brother play Metroid Prime.

I'm trying not to be a backseat gamer too much.

So, that Human Revolution review I keep bringing up? It looks like the section on mechanics will wind up being around two and a half pages or so. There's a lot to cover with this one.

• edited 2012-06-22 18:40:53
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So that means I don't have to restart and finish KH2 if I want to know what the hell is going on? I might actually have to buy it then.

You could also just, like, ask, because there are people who do know it. :|

Yeah, but eh.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's not even all that complicated unless you like... want to get into the real nitty-gritty of it.

A huge part of my apathy is that ever since getting to the last few levels of KH2 and realizing that I was going to have to start the whole game over, every time I think about the series, I just feel kinda tired.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I feel the same way about FFXIII right now :V

My brother got a new XBOX, but my save game on Disc 3 (!!!) was on the harddrive of his old one and he didn't grab it, so I had to start fresh last night.

On the other hand, Lightning~

• You can change. You can.

So, that Human Revolution review I keep bringing up? It looks like the section on mechanics will wind up being around two and a half pages or so. There's a lot to cover with this one.

Are you sure this is a review and not an analysis?

It's...kinda both? I mean, I'm analyzing it to see whether it achieves its goals, so...Idunno.

I've kinda been using the two terms interchangeably when talking about it, because I'm not sure which fits better.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

On the other hand, game reviews could certainly do with more analytic elements as opposed to mere description. I think Extra Credits nailed it when they said that a review should be a discussion about a game on a few different levels, and the audience has to be invited "inside" the piece of writing for that to be achieved. So a review about Human Revolution might note that you gain more experience points for non-lethal takedowns, but the superior review would talk about how those extra experience points goad the player into a more merciful style of play, and how that in turn relates to the themes and narrative of the game. 

how those extra experience points goad the player into a more merciful style of play, and how that in turn relates to the themes and narrative of the game. 

That's the bit I just finished. Now I'm talking about how the largest experience rewards are for advancing the story, and how that encourages the player to focus on it.

Well, see, to me, a review is an article that discusses the game from a critical perspective and analyses whether it's a success worth of people's money first and foremost, while a analysis studies the game inside and out and tries to deduce and induce what it says and how it says it, regardless of how well it's doing it. 

it doesn't have to be an either/or matter, of course.

I'd say mine leans a little more toward analysis than review, but I think by the end of the article readers who haven't played the game should have a good idea of whether they want to play it.

Well, does the reader need to have played the game to understand the full scope of what you're talking about? and, is the reader penalized for not playing the game (In other words, do you bring up spoilers?)

In HR's case, I bring up spoilers, but confine them to one section of the article with clear markers for which bit the reader might want to skip over if they don't want to see them. If they skip that, they won't see everything I have to say, but I think they should still get a good general idea.

OK, that is most excellent, then. 

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I'm not inclined to cut the KH series any slack since their plotting and story has gotten so convoluted their heads have become buried so deep in their asses they have no torso to speak of.

Basically that.

"Recap" feature

Not going to help with the Time Travel and Nortification which are both new to 3D. Wait, that's basically the entirety of 3D!

• Welp, consider me torn between buying or ignoring 3D.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know

Buy it. The gameplay will be amazing and the story will be the most unintentionally funny thing you've ever seen after you get over the initial confusion.

• edited 2012-06-22 23:46:09
    smote

The Mass Effect ending DLC is going to drop on Tuesday.

It's going to be 1.9 gigabites of data, and you'll have to start from a save at the Cerberus base to see it.

As I've said in at least three places already:

Wasn't expecting to restart at the Cerberus base, but that's alright. Killing Kai Leng was so satisfying I don't mind playing through it again.

(Also, according to a walkthrough, apparently Jack shows up as an indoctrinated enemy if you didn't do the Grissom Academy mission? Considering everything about her, that's pretty depressing.)

• edited 2012-06-22 23:50:04
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

That was the best renegade interrupt in the entire game.

I hope this means that they won't just be adding to the last fifteen minutes, but also scenes in the last mission.  Which would be cool, especially if there was some expansion on the space battle.  I loved how during the climax of ME1, you get clips of the Fleet v. Sovereign during your assault on the Citadel.

I mean, 1.9 gigs is pretty big for DLC, isn't it?  Even like Shadow Broker wasn't as big.