If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• "But on further reflection, Mario seems like exactly the kind of game to play on an overseas flight, so I should probably wait and get that in August."

It is. The levels are pretty short and straightforward. Though my biggest problem with the game is that there's no rhyme or reason to the level order. Each world is just a hodgepodge of beach levels, ice mountain levels, block levels, etc.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Speaking of rhyme/reason to level order, that's something I kinda like about Castlevania.  When that series has metroidvania games, the various areas can be arranged by design first in ways that make sense architecturally or functionally.  the only thing that you have to do then is to make sure that they're also arranged in a way that's suitable for the player--for example, you probably don't want the water area to be first or second.

As an added bonus, note how Symphony of the Night ONLY displays area titlecards if you enter from a certain entrance?  For example, if you walk into the Colosseum from the back door (and basically run into a wall), it DOESN'T show the Colosseum titlecard (even though you get Colosseum music, which, along with the distinctive aesthetics, should tell you that you're in a different area).  The titlecard only shows up when you enter the Colosseum from the right (the way it's supposed to be done)--which is when you're actually able to explore the Colosseum.

I was always annoyed at how Aria showed you the Underground Waterway titlecard upon your first arriving in it from the entrance area (Castle Corridor), despite the fact that you wouldn't actually be exploring it that early.  But it didn't re-show the titlecard later when you actually would be exploring it seriously.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I can't say I hugely recommend Brotherhood; it's really slow getting started, though maybe it gets better later.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I dunno. I've got a couple friends who are into AC who really like Brotherhood.

Huh. Maybe it's just that I dropped it two and a half hours into the tutorial.

• Kichigai birthday!!

There's a turorial that lasts 2 and a half hours? Fuck, that's Assasins Creed, not Flight Simulator

Well, in fairness, Portal has a tutorial that lasts for...all but like a minute of the game.

But my issue was that almost everything it was introducing was either stuff I already knew or stuff I didn't care about.

Spending an entire mission to tell me that the game has a collection sidequest = bad.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Next time do your own gif-mocking.

hey, it's not like anyone was mocked by you using it :<

• Silence is golden.

My sister, who usually only plays Mario Party and Animal Crossing (... and Killer Instinct) just bought Limbo.

I have no idea what to think of this /shocking/ development.

Well, there goes my ability to buy games.

Paypal wants me to confirm my info.  I can't do it without involving a credit card, a debit card, and/or mail to my house.

Oh well; I have too many games anyway.

• edited 2012-06-16 21:29:40

I just downloaded Mega Man X2 on my Wii.

It's fun, but as with the first game, I'm spending most of my time going "HOW THE FUCK DO I GET TO THAT UPGRADE."

• Well, in fairness, Portal has a tutorial that lasts for...all but like a minute of the game.

See, just because Valve says something, it doesn't actually mean it's true.  Introducing new elements does not count as a tutorial.  That's just like... progression.

• edited 2012-06-16 22:34:08
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Um...isn't introducing elements what "tutorial" means?

• edited 2012-06-16 22:37:09
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Portal's tutorial was pretty much half the game by that definition.

• A tutorial would require that the game is explicitly telling you how to do something.  Since it's not, it's just a puzzle.

Explicitly telling you how to do something (other than maybe what button does what) is the mark of a bad tutorial, generally speaking.

Portal is basically a game whose premise is being a tutorial gone wrong, so it doesn't really have a normal tutorial section.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Pretty much.

Got Monk as the Wind job, which made the beginning of the game VERY easy.  Had trouble with Garula, then was expecting to get Berserker as a Water job.  I got Time Mage instead.  Yeesh, Gilgabot, do you WANT me to break the game into teeny tiny little pieces?

• There is love everywhere, I already know

She played Éclair.

Oh yeah.

So, I was going to work on my Human Revolution review, and instead I spent about an hour making the first 15 levels (about 20%) of a giant Minecraft skull.

• But you never had any to begin with.

White Mage, Red Mage, Geomancer.

...I miss being good at melee. Melee was cool. Ah well, least I get Dualcast. Also, hard mode rules haven't come into play for me at all, which is silly.

I beat Flame Stag with buster only.

Then I went over to Wire Sponge Cucumber's stage, and mistakenly picked up that heart tank on the first screen by forgetting that it's a heart tank.

Then I fell onto spikes.

Then I turned off MMX2.  I'll try it again later.

• Flame Stag with buster only? That's crazy!

Seriously, he is damn fast.

Very easy pattern, though.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-17 14:42:13

And Overdrive Ostrich is done for.

Edit as of 12:42 AM: And so is Bubble Crab.

• Yes, and Violen is down.

Now I better pray I don't die before reaching Wheel Gator. ;_;

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-17 15:08:00

Yaaaaay, I beat both Violen and Wheel Gator on the same life! :D

• Crystal Escargot, anyone?

• Finally took down Magna Centipede. Frickin' magnetization.

• Serges and Flame Stag are history.