If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-16 02:44:51

Having Mavericks based on food that aren't animals or plants is just stupid, not that Wire Sponge isn't a stupid concept. Who the fuck is Tornado Tonion? You don't have any idea what you're talking about, there was never a stupid Maverick by that name!

Yes, I realize that it is possible to get the buster upgrade in Gator's stage without the Leg upgrade, think I did it accidentally a few times. Not that I'll be getting those upgrades according to my restrictions.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

2D Final Fantasy battles looked awful

Meh, I still like the simplistic sprites and animations over the extremely long animations in the later games that just slow down the gameplay.  FFV totally had the best gameplay out of all of them.

Speaking of FFV, the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta is starting soon.  Oh, and due to the sheer amounts of donations, everyone who signed up for the Berserker Risk is now guaranteed to get one.  But that's not all!  No no, now some poor people are guarenteed to get two Berserkers.  FUN.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> discussion of which Square games are good, bad and mediocre
    > FFVI not in God-tier
    > FFVI not even mentioned

Final Fantasy VI is one of the best examples out there of how limited technology can be expressive. Given that it comes from before a time when games could handle major spectacle, it had to be of a different narrative genre to later entries, and it was at this point that Square mastered the 2D, sprite-based RPG, by accident or otherwise. Where FFVII and later entries relied heavily on new technology that allowed them to be sprawling techno-fantasy theme parks, FFVI in itself was a collection of character stories that play out closer to fairy tales than fantasy or science fiction. And if you ask me, the JRPG has always been better at telling a fairy tale than what we consider "fantasy", even if such a fairy tale is expanded upon with fantasy elements. 

Square's technological limitations forced them to come up with a story that would play out effectively in two dimensions with limited body acting and no voice acting. All pre-3D RPGs were limited by this constraint, of course, but this is the "end of the line" for Square's major 2D releases -- they had practice at this, and it shows. Essentially, the game comes down to the characters learning how to deal with their personal issues in a context of endless chaos. Kefka isn't so much a cause of their problems as he is a personification of the chaos that blocks their progression, so defeating him at the end is pretty much turning over the allegorical leaf.

Insofar as the narrative experience goes, FFVI is probably the best RPG of its era out there, and one of the best RPGs of any era.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And if you ask me, the JRPG has always been better at telling a fairy tale than what we consider "fantasy", even if such a fairy tale is expanded upon with fantasy elements.

What do you mean by "what we consider 'fantasy'"?

• edited 2012-06-16 06:12:55
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Game of Thrones/Spice And Wolf-ey stuff?

FFVI is great and all but it really turns into a wide open mess/grind fest in the World of Ruin.

If I were to write out a list:

Great:

1. FFX-2

2. KH+2

3. FFV

4. FFT

5. TWEWY

6. FF The Four Heroes Of Light

Good:

1. FFVI

2. FFVIII

3. FFX

4. FFTA2

5. Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together

Okay:

1. FFXIII

2. KHBBS

3. FFTA

Speaking of SE, is it just me or is the time travel in KHDDD one of the most insanely bad plot twists in any series ever?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Great:

1. FFX-2

malk where's that supernatural gif

• edited 2012-06-16 05:56:19
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^ Standard fantasy setting. It's a fuzzy line, sure, but I think there's a very distinct difference in the way these elements are handled. JRPGs have a greater tendency to be character stories with a fantasy backdrop; WRPGs have a tendency to be sprawling fantasy worlds that are populated for the sake of the setting. The former approach is more along the lines of a fairy tale, especially given the tone of assumed knowledge. WRPGs like to mix things up a lot, whereas JRPGs like to use culturally assumed knowledge; wizards and witches simply exist without explanation, knights are chivalrous, monsters live in dark forests just because and so on and so forth. 

That's kind of vague, I guess, but we're talking about different approaches to a fundamentally similar concept. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Oh! More things.

There is a Dragon Age movie.

• edited 2012-06-16 05:59:11

^^^ Don't judge me. Great job/battle system+Great characters+Insane soundtrack+Freaking Henshin sequences.

^ Wasn't that on ANN earlier, before the Madoka DVD promos?

-judges you-

Wasn't that on ANN earlier

you seem to be implying I know what this is/would care to keep up with it.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

i just noticed it was there while i was watching .hack//Versus videos

huh, I guessed what it  was correctly

But I dunno if it's on there. I don't keep track of that site.

I get enough anime and video game news off of this site :V

• edited 2012-06-16 06:05:02

>Colleen Clinkenbeard is playing main character

>Gackt theme song

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A DRAGON AGE MOVIE?

-off to order-

haha, sucker

i just torrented it

-Supports Funi with all his life savings-

Can't really order stuff online here for me :V

Huh. Colleen Clinkenbeard played Riza Hawkeye, Monkey D. Luffy, Erza, and Marie? Sweet.

• edited 2012-06-16 06:16:24

SHE WAS ALSO LUMIERE (Kiddy Grade) AND ROSE (Solty Rei)

I used to watch a lot of Gonzo stuff, kay?

Yeah, but I dunno who they are, so okay.

They're remaking FFIII again. Not that it's a horrid horrid game that should die on R'lyeh, but does anybody actually love this game? Did the DS version sell out twice or something? Are they going to fix the horrible saving mechanic?

• But you never had any to begin with.

but does anybody actually love this game?

hi

Got White Mage as my first job in the Four Job Fiesta. Well, at least my berserker(s) will have a friend.

• edited 2012-06-16 11:11:51
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

discussion of which Square games are good, bad and mediocre
    > FFVI not in God-tier
    > FFVI not even mentioned

Two reasons for that:

1. As I understand it, the really good narrative you're familiar with was really heavily changed from the Japanese version, which wasn't considered particularly good. Thus I can't really give credit to the developers so much as to the translators. I could be wrong about it, but that's just what I heard.

2. I played the first couple of hours and didn't really encounter anything resembling a reason to keep playing. FFIV wasn't anything particularly special, but I didn't find myself lacking a reason to keep playing until near the end of the game, thus it wins out there. I'm willing to accept that it gets better later, but between this and point 1, I can't in good conscience put it on that list either way.

• edited 2012-06-16 12:48:49
    If that don't work, use more gun.

They're remaking FFIII again. Not that it's a horrid horrid game that should die on R'lyeh, but does anybody actually love this game? Did the DS version sell out twice or something? Are they going to fix the horrible saving mechanic?

Ugh, it's just Square being Square.  I wouldn't mind if they were porting the NES version, but the DS version is easily inferior.  The DS version took what was a great game with a few flaws, and magnified those flaws and added some more on top of that.  Not to mention, the gameplay is a lot slower than the NES version.

Well, starting off my FFVFJF.  Wish me luck!

the gameplay is a lot slower

Isn't that because all the bosses get sixteen million turns for every turn you get?

• edited 2012-06-16 14:07:46
    But you never had any to begin with.

2nd FJF job is Red Mage. Knowing my luck, I'm getting 3 mages and a zerker. :| Or 2 zerkers.

• edited 2012-06-16 15:33:40
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Vanille is 19

She acts like she's eight though.

>malk where's that supernatural gif

Next time do your own gif-mocking.

• edited 2012-06-16 15:52:55
    Has friends besides tanks now

Playing BlazBlue again. Holy shit, Makoto's gag reel is actually kinda funny. Which I can't really say for anyone else's that I've seen so far.

EDIT: It's actually really funny. Like, face-hurts funny. Was not expecting that at all.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    guys guys

should I get assassin's creed brotherhood or super mario 3d land

i can't decide

I mean, I'm gonna get both eventually no matter what but I'm only gonna get one today.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

Do you like stabbing folks in the face or eating mushrooms that make you bigger?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    both

But on further reflection, Mario seems like exactly the kind of game to play on an overseas flight, so I should probably wait and get that in August.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> Colleen Clinkenbeard

> SHE WAS ALSO LUMIERE (Kiddy Grade)

No, she wasn't.

She did even better.  She played Éclair.