If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A Wild Pokémon thread appeared!

Comments

• a little muffled

Having redone my UU team slightly I'm quite happy with the new version, so if anyone wants to UU anytime I'm interested.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-03-09 23:04:53

Alright, just made some slight adjustments to my team. Ready and willing to challenge you, Nyktos.

• a little muffled

I don't see you on there; challenge if you like.

• Already did.

• No rainbow star
    Lai, we agreed to no EVs (I'm pretty sure, anyways) to make it more accessible to those who don't get them
  • LaiLai
    edited 2012-03-10 02:11:02

EDIT: Well, I'm certainly confused.

• edited 2012-03-10 02:10:20
    Has friends besides tanks now
    No we didn't, Icalasari. They're not that hard; search the desired Pokemon on Smogon, for a quick start.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If my opinion matters at all, I would rather not rely on other people to tell me what to do with my Pokemon.

• edited 2012-03-10 02:19:52
    Wasn't saying you have to. But on that same token, I figure it's fairer not to make people randomize their stats/go without any EV's.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm fairly sure everyone here knows about EV's anyway, but if it came down to it, I would swing on Icalasari's side.

However, it's not an issue because everyone here does know about EV's, so.

• edited 2012-03-10 07:04:42
    a little muffled

Honestly 90% of the time your EV spread is:
    -252 Atk /252 Spe
    -252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - 252 HP / 252 Atk
    - 252 HP / 252 SpA
    - 252 HP / 252 Def
    - 252 HP / 252 SpD
    (with the remainder thrown into HP, the relevant attack, or speed, depending)

Yeah, there are exceptions when you want to outspeed something specific or survive a specific attack, and those are what checking Smogon's suggestions are good for, but if you just pick whichever seems most appropriate of the above six you'll probably end up with something okay most of the time.

I strongly favour using EVs, but I don't even know if I'm participating in this thing, so.

I know that's what they're thrown in for. It's also what makes the mechanic so bullshit, but whatever.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Since I never threw it out before, for monotype I'll go Dark. As I said before, Dark/Psychic for dual. No idea what I'd do for a theme.

• Has friends besides tanks now

It's also what makes the mechanic so bullshit

How so?

• If that don't work, use more gun.

I think she's talking about in game, where it really is somewhat confusing and bullshit.  In simulators it's essentially customizing your Pokemon's stats, but it's not that easy to in-game.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Ah. I thought she meant in the context of competitive battling via simulators, like we'd be doing.

Yeah, the issue with EVs in game is that, if you pay attention to them, they become horribly tedious.

• Lai,

So, did we ever agree to use EVs or not? I'm thinking of making a separate thread for this pseudo-League and put up a ruleset we all agree with if anyone is up for it.

That sounds like a good idea, I might as well go and do that myself now that I am thinking about it.

• No rainbow star
    I remember when I ev trained a charmander then raised it to level 36... Before facing Brock

That battle was hilarious

The first time I played the game, my Charmander evolved in the route directly before Mt. Moon.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Yeah, the starters tend to evolve into Charmeleon/Ivysaur/Wartortle around there
  • edited 2012-03-10 16:29:06

>on PO
    >play against dude using parahax and confusionhax
    >Vaporeon takes down most of his team like a boss despite being paralyzed for three of its matchups
    >partly because he's an idiot who tried to take it down with a Golurk and had no Electric type attacks besides T-Wave
    >also left a Braviary in on Jolteon
    >bitches about Vaporeon
    >looooooooooooooooooooooool 

I think she's talking about in game, where it really is somewhat confusing and bullshit.  In simulators it's essentially customizing your Pokemon's stats, but it's not that easy to in-game.

Yeah, I meant in-game. There, it's like, "Okay, I want to maximise my Attack stat... Time to go beat up several hundred Spinda!"

• No rainbow star
    I wish they made a spot where you could just pay money to go into a field to beat up all the Pokemon of a certain species, with the choice of a Pokemon that gives either 1 EV (for precision) or 3 EVs (for fuck this), and all the Pokemon are level 1

Just... It would be so much nicer...

3 EV's divides into 252.

• No rainbow star
    ^ What if they don't want to hit that number because of a very specific set?

Then

it

sucks

to

be

them

:3

• If that don't work, use more gun.

>also left a Braviary in on Jolteon

Might've overpredicted there.  It happens frequently.  But even then, that still was a stupid move.  Jolteon is much faster than Braivary.  What'd you expect it to do?

Also, that's some really odd Pokemon choices he's got going on.  Weird movepool choices too.  Fly, seriously?

• edited 2012-03-10 17:53:55

I don't want to make judgments about his use of Fly on Golurk, but I'll judge the shit out of his decision to keep it in on Vaporeon. That was just plain stupid; you'd think he would have switched out as soon as he saw my Surf take 3/4 of his HP.

I also don't really know what Cryogonal was supposed to be able to do. Dragon killer? Is it actually so buff that it could take, say, a Flamethrower/Fire Blast from Salamence/Hydreigon?

As for Fly, I've seen it work quite well on Jumpluff, but that's basically it.

• edited 2012-03-10 17:49:37
    a little muffled

Today I faced someone using Dig. On an Arcanine. While I had a full-health Flygon on my team. Yeah...